Che: Part One (The Argentine) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Che: Part One (The Argentine) Reviews

½ March 6, 2016
Not an easy film to like: very dry, fact-heavy and (deliberately?) distancing direction by Soderbergh. For most of the movie he avoids close-ups, and even shoots Del Toro from behind. And yet there's also something hypnotising about this project. Be ready for subtitles and a long history lesson. Alberto Iglesias' score is terrific.
January 26, 2016
I see this film has split many down the middle, is it love/hate or is it just down to either being American or not? I thought that it was a fantastic film that totally exceeded my ambivalent expectations. I loved the Motorcycle diaries and wondered if this film would act as a good successor and I believe it does. Soderbergh is a love/hate director for me but lately it's been mainly love, this being my favourite of his films so far. I'm fed up of peoples BS about this film and many like it as being 'Unbalanced' and 'rose-tinted'. Biopics and historical events can only be reenacted to a point but anyone who has actually done any research into Che will know that not much has been left out that didn't warrant it. I studied Che, Cuban history and the fear of Communism at college and would often challenge people sporting Che t-shirts as to whether they actually know anything about him. I think Soderbergh's direction suits the story perfectly and I thought Benicio Del Toro was brilliant in the title role. Pretty much faultless in my opinion, the criticisms here on flixster really surprise me (by the way flixster, you got the cast wrong Javier Bardem did not play Fidel Castro)
½ January 12, 2016
76%
Che: Part One ( The Argentine), originally 2hr 11 mins long film is eloquently shot and Soderbergh directs efficiently utilizing it's non-linear narrative to the maximum and with a commanding performance from Del Toro that sticks in mind. However, for most of its running time, it keeps the audience in the dark because only those who know the history can properly understand this piece of art.
½ December 29, 2015
Having read a ton about the the Cuban revolution, Fidel and Che, I found these Soderbergh films to be pretty awesome! If you get a chance to watch The Motorcycle Diaries first, I suggest it. The three films together make a pretty sweet Trilogy.
November 23, 2015
Soderbergh's political biography about Che Guevara and his involvement in the Cuban Revolution is expertly directed and even feels like a documentary, but is also frustrating as it shows him as a nearly flawless hero and avoids any of the controversies surrounding his character.
October 12, 2015
Greatness, Action and Accomplishment.
October 9, 2015
Benicio del Toro está excelente como el Che Guevara. Su interpretación del icónico revolucionario es magnífica, en un filme que combina muy bien un estilo de falso documental con cine bélico, incluyendo una genial dirección de fotografía.
October 2, 2015
GREAT FILMS BENICIO DEL TORRO AMAZING JOB
September 2, 2015
F' BAD TO THE BONES:)
May 13, 2015
Almost turned this off after 40 minutes, but am glad I stuck around for a little bit longer as it finally picked up. It's a flawed but intriguing film. The cinematography is beautiful but the directing is nothing special. If this film had been 30/40 minutes shorter it would have easily have got an extra star... When will they learn that less is usually more!? But saying that I'm looking forward to part 2...
½ March 7, 2015
The first part of Steven Soderbergh's epic biographical film, Che, is incredibly ambitious and wonderfully crafted. From the very beginning to the end, this one is beautifully pieced together, in large part thanks to the very good cinematography that soaks up all of the beauty of Cuban landscape it can. In addition, Steven Soderbergh's direction is perfect and you can really see his vision here. Beneicio del Toro is tour de force here, as he commands the screen and makes you realize why Che Guevara was and is such a popular figure in the world. He truly embodies the man and his performance here drips with charisma. The main complaint I have about Part One is that it can be a bit long. While I appreciate the depth at which the subject matter is approached, it could have used a bit more "umph" that would make the 2+ hours fly by a bit more. As it stands, Che: Part One is a very good film that would have been well served by being a touch shorter.
January 7, 2015
Le premier volet du diptyque de Steven Soderbergh sur Che Guevara est un film aussi aride qu'anti-commercial (enfin un film historique où on parle la langue du pays où se déroule l'action), de par sa construction plus que chaotique et jamais linéaire et par sa réalisation, qui refuse le spectaculaire, même lors de la dernière demi-heure consacrée à la prise de la Havane. Comme d'habitude avec Soderbergh, on a le droit à une vraie expérimentation technique virtuose, entre le noir et blanc et la couleur, l'image nette et la granuleuse, les dialogues hors synchronisation... Benicio del Toro, Santiago Cabrera et Demian Bichir sont fabuleux et le supporting cast n'est pas en reste. Une réussite presque totale.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
To begin with this is a well made flick without a doubt. Its a movie i have been curious for a while mainly because i like this genre along with the talent Benicio Del Toro in the main role. The story are true story based and focus on the Cuban revolution with Fidel Castro and other revolutionaries to toppling the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista.. Its directed by Steven Soderbergh which have made some really nice flicks over the years. Che was like i had expected it to be but rather slow paced time to time and the story didn't got my attention enough to enjoy it to the fully. But as i mentioned , its well made and if you have more knowledge or wants to learn more of the Cuba revolution this is a must see movie. Anyway , now over to the Che Part Two..
December 12, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

The most important rule of a biographical film is the figure; is the person that is being explored interesting or is his story unique and fascinating enough to be translated to a cinematic form. It is all about how the writer shapes this character and how a director executes the story and the ideas behind it. Ernesto Guevara, better known as Che, has made a reputation for himself with what he has achieved and his legend has grown to the point where it actually plays a large part in our pop-culture. I am an individual who is ignorant of his achievements and only know of through the perspective of contemporary popular culture; his face in many people's T-Shirts, the inspired use of berets, his name connected to almost everything Cuban related. This was a man who has found a place in my perspective of the world without actually knowing anything substantial about him; kind of like how everyone would know The Beatles, Albert Einstein and Marilyn Monroe and their place in the modern world, without actually understanding the work that they have created. Films have been a useful medium to me in learning about the journeys of these important figures and the impact that they have had to the world; Steven Soderbergh's Che would have been the best opportunity to build this understanding but its execution left me feeling dry in some places.

Biographical films are useful to those who seek to build understanding of an individual that we do not quite know or at least flesh out an aspect of them that was hidden which could shape a different perspective towards them, mostly through a humanistic approach. I came into this hoping to understand the life of this particular person; his personality, his ambitions, his goals, and his impact. Peter Buchman, the film's screenwriter, has given us something that seems objective and accurate, but sadly he does not make it easy for the audience to follow. The film's first 20 minutes keeps the film distant from the titular character, establishing the goals of Fidel Castro's vision, which is to bring down the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista. Once the film starts to concentrate on Che and his contribution to the revolution, it would be normal for a film to provide some sort of exposition of the character; exposing the internal drives that make him who he is, exploring his psychological and emotional tendencies, and establish elements for future character development. But the film does not do this very well, as for the bulk of the film, I was left distant with the character, viewing him only mesmerized by his actions rather than what is found underneath. The film eventually leads to an explosive third act that is gratifying and shows aspects of the character that were only lightly carried in the previous two acts, eventually ending on a high note that actually left me excited for the second part of the film.

The film's length may only be 134 minutes but Soderbergh paces his story with such patience, that sometimes I felt a bit tired of what was shown to me on screen. If the film had more for me to chew on, I would have been more engaged, not noticing the running time. Once the film does start to become more kinetic and tense, the third act, sitting through and appreciating it becomes much easier.

The performances in this film were strong, particularly Benicio Del Toro. Though it is obvious that he brings a committed and immersive performance, it is hard to completely appreciate if the film does not allow the character to feel accessible throughout. When I watch Benicio take on the role, it is clear he has done his research and provided an immense amount of detail in his portrayal but as I have said, the film does not make it easy for the audience to understand that, leaving the viewers only appreciating to a certain extent. The film does take a while for it to become the solo-act that the film sets itself out to be, as the first parts of the film is wide in its focus, with only the latter aspects of the film that become narrowly focused; also there is very few moments in the film that would try to bait for intense recognition, there are almost no scenes that involve screaming matches or tearful and broken moments, Del Toro lets the character feel natural and through this approach it still manages to create such a commanding presence on screen.

Che: Part One is not perfect in its storytelling, to easily appreciate the lengths that this goes through, a bit of background reading would make it much easier to sit through this film with a smooth flow. I hope the negative aspects of the film would be corrected or not as apparent in its follow-up.
½ December 9, 2014
The film's gorgeous; there are so many moments that look like they could be paintings. I love its direction and editing. For that alone I could watch it over and over. But Del Toro is an amazing Che, in fact everyone is so good...dare I say. it almost makes you feel like it's happening before your eyes. Okay, Che is a romantic and it's certainly simplistic. But this part is about Che at his most idealistic, where he was on top of the world. It feels appropriate. Is it a definitive account of the revolution? No. Is it a beautifully filmed biopic and historical drama? YES.
July 31, 2014
It could of been much better.
June 26, 2014
The story about the revolutionary and icon. I wanted to be schooled and entertained while having a joyful watch but I felt rather disappointed. There is no especially interesting or memorable moments here. It shifts between shooting and walking in forrests and strickly politics.

Che seem like a nice fellow and he is well portrayed by the amazing Del Toro, but he is one of few huge bright elements as well as gorgeous cinematography.
It's pretty edicational, it's facinating but it get's tiring after a while - it's too much of the "never sleeping" Che. His story feels very over-done, but I guess it still is beliveable.

Not a poor film, but a big piece of history like this deserves something better if you ask me.
I wonder what the second part has to offer me in a couple of days.

6.5 out of 10 cigars.
½ May 14, 2014
Steven Soderbergh and the other writers did an amazing job with this one. The film is based from the timeline of the Cuban revolution. Soderbergh's cinematographer and eye was on point with this one. The story truly puts in you the position of Che, Castro and the Cuban Revolutionaries. Benicio Del Toro earned many points in my book for his acting in this film. I haven't seen any movies Javier Bardem has been in besides this but he also does an amazing job of getting in character. Watch it and learn something!
May 13, 2014
The 'first' part focuses on the Cuban revolution and its success. This part suffers from some questionable decisions to inter-cut Che's UN appearance in the beginning of the film (I think it could have worked better as an interlude) but it's a character story so this doesn't hurt to much. Soderbergh directs with a sense of urgency and uses mostly dynamic shots and combined with the great cinematography the film achieves a visual identity of great power. Facing adversity because of his foreigner status and asthma, Che still manages to climb through the revolutionary ranks quietly becoming indispensable.
½ April 27, 2014
An intriguing historical drama that shows the fascinating Che Guevera's part in the Cuban Revolution.