50/50 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

50/50 Reviews

½ July 5, 2017
Balancing the drama and comedy in a story about cancer is a tough line to toe, but 50/50 absolutely nails it. Gordon-Levitt is spectacular as the lead and his chemistry with his entire supporting cast was top notch. Scenes with Kendrick, Rogen and Houston are all excellent. The film doesn't shy away from the seriousness of the subject matter, while the humor keeps things from being too heavy.
July 3, 2017
A nice film about family and friendship. Levitt and Rogen are great together and at times it is quite touching and really funny.
July 1, 2017
I was a little skeptical about this film before watching it, I suspected the high ratings might be because of the subject matter (sensitive subjects such as cancer always seem to get high ratings, regardless of the actual worthiness of the film). But in this case I was wrong, and was in for a good surprise. The seriousness of the subject was balanced with humour in just the right amount. The acting by Gordon-Levitt and Kendrick was outstanding; and Rogen, whom I normally avoid like the plague, gave a surprisingly honest and deep performance. The film deals with many issues related to serious illnesses such as cancer, especially in how friends, acquaintances and relatives react to the patient. Definitely an emotional film, and definitely worth watching.
½ June 29, 2017
Even with a depressing subject like cancer as the main theme, 50/50 offers a great deal of smiles, laughs and of course, tears. Gordon-Levitt and Rogen's chemistry is truly amazing. Anna Kendrick, Anjelica Huston, Bryce Dallas Howard so pretty much every character in this movie, they all give impressive performances. This movie is a perfect combination of drama and comedy and you should have no problem enjoying this movie. Kudos to everyone involved.
June 27, 2017
A good movie taking a serious situation and blending it with comedy. Great acting, timing, and music! Fantastic film.
June 24, 2017
The tears are earned, no small thanks to the touching performances. I think this is one of the best drama/comedy films I have seen in a very long time. The cast is perfect and Joseph Gordon-Levitt shines...
½ June 22, 2017
The plot may be a bit thin, but I really really liked 50/50. It knows when to be funny, when to be serious, and knows when to add a little bit of humor in a more dramatic moment. Aside from that, its heartfelt, well-directed, well-written dialogue, the characters feel real, and the actors all give good performances.
½ June 20, 2017
A very good movie that you need to watch
½ May 26, 2017
50/50 is the perfect example as to why we like going to the movies. It's smartly written, extremely funny in some areas, and it has heart the entire way through that gives the emotional areas more of an impact. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives us his best performance as a man who's convinced he's dying, and Rogen is there to help lighten the mood quite a bit, which he does all so well. With all of that said, though, 50/50 is a movie about the nature of human beings, and how even in the hardest of times, we can find reasons to laugh in life.
May 14, 2017
Fan of JGL since then but with all the efforts of everyone here in this movie, it really pays off a lot. Full of laughter, seriousness and a heartfelt film. Highly recommended one.
May 14, 2017
It's good. It's funny throughout, the performances are good, and the dramatic scenes are fine. My main flaw with it is that a lot of the more hard-hitting subject matter feels toned down to appeal to that wide-release American demographic that Seth Rogen movies are generally made for. I think it could've benefited from some less fantastical‚?? resolutions. I do appreciate that there aren't all that many story cliches in the first three quarters.
½ April 29, 2017
Improvement is required.
April 22, 2017
This is a GREAT movie. It manages to be funny and profoundly moving at the same time. This one made me cry. Brilliant performances, writing and direction.
February 25, 2017
A very well done film that tackles sensitive matter with ease. Feels very genuine, even if it is a bit too much "feel-good" leaning.
½ February 17, 2017
I don't think this quite lived-up to the critics' reviews. We all know cancer fighters/survivors, and this connects there on a good level, but it doesn't seem realistic at times. It's a decent relationships story, with Rogen sometimes funny but sometimes single-tone, and Gordon-Levitt seemed to me too passive for reality. 3.5 stars. OK.
February 14, 2017
I was totally misled by the poster, which seems to show Joseph Gordon Levitt with A Wii controller on his head, right? THAT'S HILARIOUS. No, what he's actually doing is shaving his head because he has CANCER. THAT'S SO NOT HILARIOUS. Oh, god, I was really not prepared for this movie. WAIT, SETH ROGEN IS IN THIS MOVIE. Hes HILARIOUS. Well, yes, he seems to be the Bill Murray to Levitt's Dustin Hoffman, I suppose the movie is ALL RIGHT. But it's tranquilizer depressing at times. Fuck.
January 26, 2017
Moving comedy-drama.
January 26, 2017
Very touching movie.
½ January 13, 2017
It's hard to do a good cancer movie, let alone one that is funny and authentic. One of the reasons for that authenticity is the writer, Wil Reiser had cancer so it's based on a true story. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen have incredible chemistry and the supporting cast is real and believable. This is the perfect film for Rogan as his awkward humor fits well. This is lovely and fun and how often can you say that about a cancer movie? Final Score: 8.9/10
January 11, 2017
I thought a movie about any humor while battling cancer could be a seriously tasteless flop, but it's the exact opposite. It's one of those life goes on no matter what stories that resonates with most anyone. The acting is superb, and I really rooted for the good guys (and gals) in this story. And the front porch scene between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bryce Dallas Howard is classic, as is the telephone call between him and Anna Kendrick. Brilliantly done.