50/50 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

50/50 Reviews

June 12, 2018
Was a great movie, I went through cancer, and gordan portrayed the emotions that process perfectly, sure, some is overexaggerated. No1 is ever that open when they're towards a young adult diagnosed with cancer. But they do have the emotions that is hard to portray :) glad I watched this with family
June 8, 2018
Intelligent story and film based on a true story. Seth Rogen is Seth Rogen and the comic anchor in the film as well as in the real life story. The story was made more cinematic. Pretty good.
½ May 2, 2018
Cast is awesome, especially Anna Kendrick.
April 8, 2018
This is a super enjoyable movie. I love it when a movie shows off what real people would be like in a situation like this, that is why I love movies like The Big Sick and Don Jon. I love everything about this movie like the real humor, the story, an the acting is amazing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has blown me away in every movie I have seen him in, Anna Kendrick is funny and Sweet and this is definitely my favorite one of her movies, and even Seth Rogen someone who I normally see as very annoying is absolutely hilarious in this movie. Overall this one of the most real and funny movies that I have ever watched and definitely needs to be talked about more.
April 4, 2018
Though it's a drama about cancer, 50/50 overcomes sappy cliches with contagious comedy to become a feel-good film that's worth your time.
February 24, 2018
Great movie!!! Excellent story, great acting ... speechless
½ February 22, 2018
hey man, you're gonna die..

50/50

It's tone and the environment of it seems a bit off track some time and it's not that because of some funny sequences, it's just the surrounding of it and the characters they just aren't palpable to it. 50/50 may come off a bit eerie and not easy to digest but it's advantage is that it floats on a light mode and delivers everything in appropriate amount. Jonathan Levine's execution seems like a TV dramatic episode along with the writer Will Reiser. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is doing some of the best work of his career in here and along with the help of a good supporting cast like Anna Kendrick, Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Rogen it pretty much gets it right on performance level. 50/50 even though being of around 100 minutes seems a bit long, slow and quite pretentious and one of the main thing it lacks is carrying out the emotional or intense sequences to the audience.
½ February 13, 2018
I had avoided this film because I am not a huge fan of Kenrick nor Rogen but Rogen grew on me, especially as the buddy who really cares. Well done
½ January 20, 2018
I put off watching this for AGES for fear of it being too sad but it's so delicately balanced that even the sadder moments are met with comedy, becoming bittersweet. A heartfelt tale that will have you laughing throughout...and I didn't cry once, which for me is some kind of miracle.
December 30, 2017
Made me laugh and cry; great movie
December 30, 2017
Extremely good movie filled with drama and comedy with great actors
December 18, 2017
This is an exceptionally heartfelt film with a touch of some great humor. It balances drama and comedy exceptionally well. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is phenomenal in the role and Rogen is obnoxious as usual but it works in this particular film. Rogen actually steals the show and shows a truly grounded performance. It is a great tale of friendship and one great feel-good movie. This movie had me laughing out loud in certain scenes, and reduced to a puddle of tears in others. It's a beautiful and genuine movie that feels very grounded in reality. I love everything about and watch it again regularly because it is a moving and inspirational experience.
½ October 4, 2017
I quite enjoyed this. The actors play well off each other and you feel for Gordon-Levitt's character's situation.
½ September 19, 2017
I love this movie. It is funny and yet serious all at the same time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives an incredible authentic performance in this that is just as heartbreaking as it is charming. I think this is worth your time to watch if you haven't done so already. Great little film.
September 2, 2017
Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues his reign as Hollywood's most underrated young actor in a refreshingly candid performance as a young man who is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. What unfolds throughout teeters on the brink of sappy melodrama but manages to always put itself back on balance with its wry and hysterical comedic elements. Aided by his best friend (Seth Rogen), girlfriend (Bryce Dallas Howard), mother (Anjelica Huston), and therapist turned love interest (Anna Kendrick),. The basis of the story is Will Reiser's experience with cancer diagnosis and the fragility of human life is always kept within the balance of the script. The performances are full of wit and tact. A wonderful dramedy that manages to overcome the dialogue downfalls of many of its peers.
½ August 10, 2017
Well written, well acted and funny, but also manages to be a serious emotional film about cancer and the hardships that come with it.
½ July 5, 2017
Balancing the drama and comedy in a story about cancer is a tough line to toe, but 50/50 absolutely nails it. Gordon-Levitt is spectacular as the lead and his chemistry with his entire supporting cast was top notch. Scenes with Kendrick, Rogen and Houston are all excellent. The film doesn't shy away from the seriousness of the subject matter, while the humor keeps things from being too heavy.
July 3, 2017
A nice film about family and friendship. Levitt and Rogen are great together and at times it is quite touching and really funny.
July 1, 2017
I was a little skeptical about this film before watching it, I suspected the high ratings might be because of the subject matter (sensitive subjects such as cancer always seem to get high ratings, regardless of the actual worthiness of the film). But in this case I was wrong, and was in for a good surprise. The seriousness of the subject was balanced with humour in just the right amount. The acting by Gordon-Levitt and Kendrick was outstanding; and Rogen, whom I normally avoid like the plague, gave a surprisingly honest and deep performance. The film deals with many issues related to serious illnesses such as cancer, especially in how friends, acquaintances and relatives react to the patient. Definitely an emotional film, and definitely worth watching.
½ June 29, 2017
Even with a depressing subject like cancer as the main theme, 50/50 offers a great deal of smiles, laughs and of course, tears. Gordon-Levitt and Rogen's chemistry is truly amazing. Anna Kendrick, Anjelica Huston, Bryce Dallas Howard so pretty much every character in this movie, they all give impressive performances. This movie is a perfect combination of drama and comedy and you should have no problem enjoying this movie. Kudos to everyone involved.