Akeelah and the Bee - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akeelah and the Bee Reviews

½ September 18, 2016
To me it was not good at all but if you want to watch it rent it.
½ June 29, 2016
**WARNING A COUPLE OF SPOILERS**

Akeelah Anderson (Keke Palmer) is an eleven year old girl, who lives in South Los Angeles. She has a talent for spelling, and believes that she can make it to a National Spelling Bee. At 1st her mother (Angela Bassett) doesn't think it is a good idea for her daughter. Akeelah then finds a teacher named Dr. Larabee, (Laurence Fishburne), who coaches her, and believes she has what it takes to win the National Spelling Bee.

This film does a fantastic job of entertaining, inspiring, and really tugging at your heartstrings. Every character in the film I could get behind, understand, and even relate too as well. Whether you feel sympathy, angered, or misunderstood about a character, this movie delivers great characters. For instance, Dr. Larabee's character was well done; I loved how he saw a little bit of his daughter in Akeelah. It made the 2 characters seem really connected, and it added to the film, by making him more emotionally attached to our main character. Dr. Larabee is more than just a life coach in the film. He teaches Akeelah strategy, positive thinking, overcoming the odds, and will power. I also found it interesting that Dr. Larabee's last name spells bee, and the movie plot focuses on the spelling bee.

In addition, I loved how Akeelah had flashbacks to when her dad was alive, and how Akeelah would look at the picture of her father, and say things like "You would believe in me." It was a reflection on how her father is still with her in spirit and in conscience. Akeelah overall is a fantastic character. She was relatable, and showed that when you put your mind and heart into something, you can be happy and successful. One character I didn't like at first, was Dylan. The movie did a great job at making him seem cocky, and ruthless. Only because of his father; his father put pressure on him to win. Dylan's true nature shows at the end of the film. Even Dylan's father's character changed. He clapped for his son, but he also clapped for Akeelah.

So these are my final Bitchin' Buddha thoughts. No matter how old you are, you can enjoy this film. Everyone from 10 to 110, will have a great time. It's full of heart, great and relatable characters. I believe Akeelah and the Bee earns a ...

4.5 / 5 !

Thank you for reading, and viewing, and I hope you have an amazing day as always. :)
½ February 9, 2016
Slower paced but a wonderful "feel-good" film that will put you in a good mood. It's an inspirational film that will make you feel like accomplishing any goals you have set for yourself. It's a movie celebrating the idea that no matter where you're from, you can use your talents to your advantage and that should resonate with most audiences.
October 9, 2015
I watched the movie over 2 days while I was on the treadmill. I walked twice as far as I had planned. The movie is captivating. Loved it!
½ October 3, 2015
It's formulaic, but entertaining and carried very well by its great cast. A sports film for the inner nerd in all of us.
September 14, 2015
Just well done movie in feel and acting.....predictable but that did not bother me at all.
½ May 13, 2015
watched this a few years ago, great movie
May 11, 2015
Pretty good. Every means of encouragement.
½ April 25, 2015
Great, Great movie with a few messages.
½ March 17, 2015
This movie was okay but I thought it was stupid how they both won life is not always fair
January 26, 2015
OMG,i love this movie bruh lik yolo if i could i would watch this movie everyday of my life
January 16, 2015
The most amazing movie I'll see in 2015. Hope, Love, Happiness, Honor, Teaching, Inspiring, Respect, Motivating, and most of all Friendship!!! Goosebumps of excitement and sorrow for loss.
January 16, 2015
A very good inspiring movie!!!
January 15, 2015
Winning performances by Keke Palmer and Lawrence Fishburne elevate this movie above the cliches.
December 18, 2014
A comparison to other sports flicks in heart with same spirits and some inspirations, but this particular will have you hooked to cheer and spell along. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
August 30, 2014
Even though it's predictable the whole way through, the cast is solid and its a solid family film.
August 7, 2014
Akeelah and the Bee gives you everything you would normally see in a "Me against the world" classic. Laurence Fishburne played a good role portarying Akeelah's mentor throughout the movie.
July 3, 2014
Kids loved it. Language is a little strong in a small part of the movie, however it fits with the story.
½ June 16, 2014
The movie is highly predictable and does not provide any unique surprises in terms of subject matter. But that is just a small fragment of it's powerful and inspirational storytelling feeling. What it lacks in surprise it surpluses with wonderful acting and a comforting directorial touch of timing.
June 12, 2014