Almost Christmas Reviews

• Apr 29, 2019

I just watched this movie and while it was cute. I had a hard time believing they were family. The chemistry with the cast was just not there. I didn't buy it, I didn't buy the fighting, the love. Idk something was just off ya know.

• Dec 08, 2018

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. A whole lot of talk yall about absolutely nothing.

• Jan 19, 2018

Very good movie. Though the film undoubtedly drifts into far too familiar territory as it progresses, it still is full of rich humor, a warm heart and great performances from its ensemble cast, namely Mo’Nique, Usher, Elise and Union.

• Sep 04, 2017

This movie was hilarious and heartfelt and a real slice of life during the holidays,,, at least in some segments of the African-American community. One of these days critics are going to catch up with what resonates with moviegoers who don't look like them. Or maybe the answer is more critics who look like the American population and moviegoers in general. And,maybe, just maybe, we'll get more content with diverse casts, writers and directors, Then, when a critic says, "... (a movie) isn't distinctive enough to prompt a visit to the theater." They won't be pulling wool out of their arse or making statements that don't reflect the fact that a $17 million dollar movie made $42 million at the box office. It was thoroughly enjoyable. And it's currently running on HBO right in time for the holidays. :-)

• Aug 22, 2017

There isn't anything necessarily terrible about "Almost Christmas", however it definitely isn't a classic holiday movie that will be talked about much. The story revolves around a family that is trying to get through the passing of the grandmother, and around how this dysfunctional family has to overcome broken relationships between each other in order to have an enjoyable christmas. Even with that premise, you could tell that this movie is all over the place. There were about 5 or 6 different plots all happening at once, and whereas that sometimes might work in movies, it didn't really work in this one. There was never really a time where the movie would focus in on one of those plots, and some of the people that you thought the movie would focus more on, they didn't go back to them until way later in the movie, and by that point I just lost interest in that plot. The comedy was pretty good, I liked some of Mo'Nique's (Aunt May) lines, and I also liked JB Smoove (Lonnie), and his overall vibe that he brought to this movie. As a comedy, I enjoyed this movie, but as a drama, that's where this movie failed. Almost all the drama just comes from the fact that the grandmother passed away, and although that is a tough circumstance, they didn't do anything except sulk and grieve about it, which didn't really leave me feeling anything because we never knew who the grandmother was besides the 5 minute opening montage. All in all, "Almost Christmas" isn't a terrible movie, and does have some comedic potential in it, however it should not have been made into a dramedy, and is not worth watching.

• Aug 11, 2017

Fun family and human interest comedy with good acting - Although indeed a bit early for Christmas.

• Jul 30, 2017

As a man who Lost his mother and had to see his father deal with holidays alone this movie was spot on

• Jun 05, 2017

Get together family Christmas is never a smooth event! Little bit a surprise film. Most probably the best Christmas comedy of the season, yet I watched it very late. It's a family get together theme, but for the Christmas celebration. So after their mother recently passed away, all the children come to celebrate the festival with their father for not let him be alone for the occasion. But it is not a perfect family. They all seeing each other after a long time and they bring their works, issues and everything along. With differences, debate, fight and all hell set loose. I have seen plenty of similar themed films, this was no different, yet somewhat enjoyable. Because this kind of film is thematically same, but usually screenplay and the comedy parts are derived. If they make those parts right, then it'll meet somewhat viewer's expectation and do better at the box office. A decent cast, though Danny Glover presence was the film's highlight. Well created characters and the executions were not bad either. Surely you would laugh aloud in a few scenes. Bit a long film, but engaging plot. Overall an average film, yet the comedy parts was the best. 5/10

• Apr 04, 2017

loved this movie a must see gather the family and watch.

loved this movie a must see gather the family and watch.

• Apr 02, 2017

This was a nice attempt at a nice, heartfelt Christmas movie but it was a little too depressing for me. Too many dark moments and not enough positive family moments.