Backdraft Reviews

• Sep 21, 2019

Oh come on, I like fires! If you're going to get ne more excited about a bunch of guys killing them you'll need to make them more believable, more empathic than these lukewarm 'heroes'. Just a load of propaganda and true heroes which some firemen are don;t need Hollywood to make their case.

• Aug 30, 2019

Good performances and some terrifically thrilling set-pieces can really carry a movie like this along. Not to say that this is bad one,but it is hindered by the script with its melodrama & predictability (most of the time) - 6.5/10

• Jun 22, 2019

Despite some 90's blockbuster melodrama, some predictable plot points, and a few weaker links, this is still a solid film. I recently rewatched it and while the legendary special effects and stunts are still real standouts, this love letter to firefighters is even more endearing in a post-9/11 world. The love interest storylines are truly secondary to the love and trust of the firefighters' brotherhood. Highlights for me (besides the epic special effects) were creepy Donald Sutherland and an under-utilised Robert De Niro. I could watch an entire film about De Niro's fire investigator Rimgale.

• Apr 27, 2019

You We Go Backraft Amazing Movie Can't wait for Backdraft2

You We Go Backraft Amazing Movie Can't wait for Backdraft2

• Jan 27, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Jan 04, 2019

The special effects are spectacular.

The special effects are spectacular.

• Oct 01, 2018

I disagree with the pro critics. This IS a deep film and the acting is magnificent. Backdraft not only has great special effects; it also has character development and profound moments. This is one of those rare movies that stands the test of time. I have probably watched it 6-7 times. I always cry at the end. I don't know where Backdraft falls in my top 50 films of all time but it definitely belongs in that group.

• Jul 08, 2018

A frightening firefighter thriller. Ron Howard pays tribute to how dangerous firefighters' work is constantly, while also creating a unique arsonist investigation thriller. The fire is real for most of the movie and the special effects still look realistic. Non-stop action and intense situations leads Backdraft to memorable greatness. Howard directs Backdraft with a sincere respect and reverence for firefighters and it shows with every scene. You understand the sacrifice firefighters and their families make in the service of their community's safety. Backdraft has one of cinema's greatest casts. Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Scott Glenn, Robert De Niro, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rebecca De Mornay, and Donald Sutherland round out Backdraft's stellar ensemble. Everyone is believable and plays a key role for either the narrative or character development. Hans Zimmer's score is quite unnerving and intense. He sets the tone and atmosphere for each scene with a suspenseful soundtrack or an inspiring theme to jump into the fire with these characters. All in all, Backdraft is as emotionally harrowing and scary as when it first released. Check out Backdraft.

• Feb 12, 2018

Great, super visceral 90's blockbuster thriller, in which firefighting is shown as a near mythical battle between good and evil, the good being Kurt Russel being more of a man than any of us will ever be and that most forgotten of Baldwins, William, who is kind of a useless drip in this film and makes you realise why he kind of vanished. The evil is of course the fire itself, fascinatingly presented here as pretty much a living, breathing, malignant entity, that seems to growl and hiss and crawl. This is such a wonderfully overblown movie, it's one of those gloriously overproduced 90's big budget movies, where all the money is up there on screen and everything looks slick as fuck, meaty and fantastic. The practical pyrotechnic effects and stunt work are extraordinary, there's no other way to describe it, everything looks so real and dangerous, with flames rolling off the lead actors themselves, who (very visibly) performed many of their own stunts. It's cool how many different kinds of movie they pack into one, it is, varyingly action movie, a detective thriller, a murder mystery, a conspiracy thriller, a "Point Break with fire" drama and, with how they represent the fire, pretty much a monster movie all in one. It's great entertainment, with a brass and swagger that more movies now could use. Also, i know i said before, but the action sequences and fiery set pieces are just incredible to behold.

• Feb 10, 2018

It tends to get a bit sappy and cliche, but it's still a damn fine movie. It highlights the different aspects of firefighting and the heroism and comradery within that field. One of Howard's more entertaining movies.