Becoming Jane Reviews

• Sep 20, 2019

I almost cried such a beautiful story.

I almost cried such a beautiful story.

• Sep 14, 2019

Faithfully elegant as an exquisitely-designed period drama including the questionable invitation from the pacing for engagement besides the climatically-growing romance being fought for, it is a treat for Austen readers and a response to intrigued curiosity after watching few adaptations just to find this an interesting, well-casted and finely-performed character study. (B)

• Jul 13, 2019

"Becoming Jane" is one of those many light British dramas/comedy of manners yet done better than most. Good cast with the romantic banter between Jane Austen (Hathaway) and Tom Lefroy (MacAvoy) very engaging. Well rounded cast of the usual British regulars for these types of production. The film is greatly enhanced by the great sets and scenery, giving a realistic feeling for the period. Not being an expert on the life of Jane Austen, I would imagine much of the story is made up - yet its so well done that it doesn't matter. "Becoming Jane" is well worth catching if you can.

• Apr 20, 2019

This raw film is beautifully constructed in every way. The casting choices were absolutely unmatched, especially Tom Lefroy! I loved this movie, including the moments that made me cry. Stories like this remind me that it is okay to not have a perfect ending. I will forever cherish this movie.

• Apr 17, 2019

The absolute BEST romantic movie! Watch it several times to catch all the lines.

• Mar 23, 2019

You're my story.

You're my story.

• Dec 19, 2018

Mcavoy really makes this movie something special. He is so good.

Mcavoy really makes this movie something special. He is so good.

• Aug 26, 2018

As an audience, it is not very exciting to see two lovers not ending up together at the end. Yet there is no moment int he film has bored me, like it would in other periodic films. Passionate kiss, different suitors, and wild rebellious boy, are just the what horny young ladies needed to see :P

• Sep 26, 2017

Reviewed 9.26.17. It's a period piece for people that don't like period pieces. Light, not stodgy. And a Jane Austen movie for people that aren't interested in Jane Austen. For it doesn't really teach you a thing about her. It has more the feel of a teenage love story that just happens to take place during the Victorian era. Quite a simple, and classic retelling of unrequited love. Nothing too deep here, but it's nice to look at. And it offers viewers the opportunity to witness two big Hollywood stars (Hathaway, McAvoy) in their nascent stages. But will likely disappoint fans of heavier substance, historical accuracy or large scale period recreations.

• Oct 17, 2016

Wow, I was surprised at how unrewarding, melodramatic, and predictable this movie was. And, while Anne Hathaway is a very cute and beautiful Jane Austen, her acting (and maybe even looks) never quite feel right to me. Better to go watch Kiera Knightly in Pride and Prejudice (2005).