Best in Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Best in Show Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
If there's any subset of society that deserves to be the subject of ridicule, it's competitive pet owners. Guest and company nail it again.
½ June 30, 2016
It starts out pretty hilarious, but then the rest of the movie just isn't funny at all. There is one good ongoing joke though! It has great performances from a great cast, and great characters (and a pretty wide range of them) that are all well written and developed, and very good introductions for all of them! But this movie is just not worth watching.
June 25, 2016
Ok, this is a surrealistic movie
June 3, 2016
Best in Show is a 100% delight. Christopher Guest is the absolute master of crafting unique, quirky characters that hysterically skewer the real-life men and women they parody without ever demeaning them. In fact Guest must have some odd affection and reverence for them because of how vividly he brings the esoteric world of dog show handlers to life. Just about every joke hits a bullseye.
April 26, 2016
"Best in Show" is one of the best mockumentaries out there.
½ April 15, 2016
An improv mocumentary with an ensemble cast that tickles the funny bone. Christopher Guest directs and co-wrote the feature which satires the dog show community. It's rarely not funny and very over the top but hits all the right notes.

What's really impressive is with all the characters none are underdeveloped, and you're left wanting more of each. The actors are brilliantly cast and precise.
April 10, 2016
As Spinal Tap described the rock and roll lifestyle perfectly, this one does for the eccentricities of the Westminster dog show.
April 6, 2016
Fred Willard steals the show. Other than that.... this movie, documentary.. is SO bizarre, I'm shocked it ever got put on the big screen. Nevertheless, its packed with good actors, and sort of makes you feel sad that this world actually sort of exists.

I enjoyed it, but I doubt anyone I even know of would feel anything buy hate for this. Prove me wrong world!
April 2, 2016
Yeah Fred Willard is hysterical but I'll make the case that its Posey and Hitchcock who actually steal the show here. Their willingness to be as unpleasant as possible in every scene they have is quite admirable.
April 1, 2016
A satire of dog show competitions, "Best in Show" is funny because it's true.
½ March 25, 2016
2016-03-25 the Weimaraner wasn't neurotic, the owners were nuts. in fact all of them were nuts. which I guess was the point of the movie.
½ February 22, 2016
Fans of "This Is Spinal Tap," "Waiting For Guffman," or the entirety of the mockumentary genre will likely enjoy this stalwart piece from the master of deadpan himself - Christopher Guest. Though some of the more understated comedic moments may be a bit of an acquired taste, there's no denying the true improvisational talent behind this engaging cast.
½ January 1, 2016
Best in Show is very amusing. It is amazingly cohesive for how divided it feels. The narrative switches in-between a slew of quirky dog owners who gradually reveal their odd personalities and relationships through one 2 minute skit after the other. The stories eventually wind together into the events at the dog show and even though the pace is deliberate and it is very seldom dry, the deadpan humor and hysterics of the group are hilarious. It's satirical mood is awesome. It is also pretty scary to see how ridiculous and seemingly crazy the world of dog shows is.
½ December 8, 2015
Number three out of five in a string of mockumentary movies that Christopher Guest has had a hand in writing, directing and of course starring. In my humble opinion this is probably the second most well known of the five with 'This Is Spinal Tap' being the clear winner in that field.

The simple premise behind this film is a dog show (in America of course), a dog show much like the famous British dog show Crufts. In fact the show in this movie is actually, supposedly, based upon a real dog show that takes place in New York each year, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. We the viewer follow the day to day lives of a set of dog owners and their preparation for the show, the ordeals during the show, and the eventual full outcome. The film is naturally in a documentary style with hand held cameras and many interviews on the fly as the adventures of each dog team is closely watched every bit of the way.

Its of no surprise of course that the dog teams are a varied larger than life bunch of people for maximum comedic effect. You have the flamboyant gay couple portrayed by Guest movie regular Michael McKean and John Higgins. McKean being the older, wiser, more conservatively dressed gent of the duo, whilst Higgins is the younger, fitter, spiritual, better looking toyboy of the couple who dresses flamboyantly. The pair own a small fluffy Shih Tzu which I guess you could say compliments their lifestyle? or is that too stereotypical to say? surely that was the idea though? Anyway, next up is Guest himself playing a small town hick type with a bloodhound. Other regular Guest movie team players Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara play a married couple, Levy of course being the nerdy half the couple, whilst O'Hara is, or was, a bit of a slut. Parker Posey and Michael Hitchcock play an executive yuppie-esque husband and wife couple that have major anger/lifestyle issues, Parker Posey's character is highly neurotic causing virtually all of the panic and grief. And finally Jennifer Coolidge plays a big dumb blonde (unsurprisingly) who is a trophy wife for some very old dude, but at the same time she is actually having an affair with their dog trainer, played by Jane Lynch.

We spend small amounts of time with each dog owner as each of their stories progress. Starting at their various homes across the country as they all begin their journey's to the show, how they look after their dogs, arrival, accommodation and of course the actual show group by group. As I have already said, each of the dog owners have their own unique, over the top quirks which are admittedly predictable and cliche, but at the same time well performed. The main humour in the movie is watching how each of these people go about their daily routines with themselves and of course their dogs. Its highly engaging to watch the gay couple and the way they act (and dress), their different styles (think 'The Birdcage'), naturally their little pooch is spoilt rotten. Parker Posey's character is a complete nervous wreck, severely neurotic and a total bitch because of it, I found this (her) to be quite sexy actually. Watching her and her other half fight over petty little things is actually really fun, you feel awkward and embarrassed just watching, the performances are that good. The duo are like a car crash, you just can't help but look, its almost like morbid curiosity to watch these people fight and bicker in public.

Guest himself doesn't actually play that much of an interesting character, a humble hick that sounds a bit slow, he has his little idiosyncrasies of course but nothing that is outstandingly funny. His character is actually the most regular and less outrageous of the bunch. Eugene Levy and O'Hara are probably the most cliched pairing in the movie (the stereotypical gays aside), I think it was obvious that Levy would be some kind of geek, and boy do they pile on the geek here, even giving him two left feet to appear even more pathetic. It is amusing to watch these two as they meet up with various people on their travels, the gag being Cookie (O'Hara) keeps bumping into blokes she once slept with back in the day. The whole angle is kinda corny admittedly but its Levy's reactions you're looking out for. Lastly the weakest of the lot goes to Coolidge as the blonde bimbo having an affair with her female dog trainer. Jane Lynch holds her own well as you'd expect, but I feel they could gone further with these two, a bit more naughty perhaps, it all just felt a bit bland and lacking.

The highlight of the film is the actual show of course, and it doesn't disappoint visually that's for sure. Pretty much looks like they used a real venue for the show, a packed capacity of extras, plenty of real dog owners...probably real competitors, probably real judges etc...the works. It also appears that the cast genuinely did train with the dogs and go through the hoops with them as it were, it all looks very real, true to the documentary style. Set against this level of realism is the typically brash all American commentator played by Fred Willard who kills it! This guy really ups the game so to speak, his obvious lack of any knowledge on the proceedings, along with his stereotypically fast sports style of commentary is brilliantly funny at times. The fact that he is partnered up with a smart, well spoken, no-nonsense Brit commentator (Jim Piddock) makes this scenario all the more delicious. Seeing Piddock's British dog expert character smiling politely at Willard's loud lowbrow American commentator as he comes out with his inane foot-in-mouth comments, is a glory to behold.

The movie is obviously all about stereotypes and satire, all the characters are typically cliche and predictable, behaving exactly how you would expect them too. I guess all Guest movies are in the same vein character wise, but this one felt more so to me. What did surprise me was the fact I was actually engaged in the plot, lets be honest here when you read that the film is all about a dog show, you could be forgiven for thinking the premise might not appeal. Again though, this does appear to be a typical Guest trait, choosing quite unusual (and generally mundane) plot scenarios that befit everyday life for everyday folk, to a degree, but not always. This just goes to show how good the comedy, writing and improv work is from all involved, that and its an original concept too, which is a breath of fresh air (give it a chance). I think anyone who knows what to expect from Guest will undoubtedly enjoy this, people not in know may need a bit more time to get into it, but I'm sure will get the hang of it quickly (surely everyone knows what to expect with Eugene Levy involved).
October 6, 2015
Funny without being overly mean and clearly made from a place of love for its subject matter. Sweet with a real sense of character and relationships. (and TWO gay couples!!! it does my heart good to see loving same sex relationships)
½ September 27, 2015
I know I have seen it before, and we just watched it again. The dogs are the stars! and the actors deliver some great dead-pan zingers.
September 20, 2015
Hilarious classic with a great cast.
½ September 18, 2015
This mockumentary gets my vote for 'Best in Show'. Watch it yesterday.
½ September 9, 2015
Hard to watch, but has a few moments. Probably best for those who are into dog shows. The utility closet, promiscuously popular wife, commentator, and the absurdity/subjectivity of judging made it bearable. Why it's so highly rated is beyond me.