Best in Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Best in Show Reviews

October 21, 2016
While I realize that Christopher Guest's humor is not for everyone, I personally feel that few things in life are as fantastic as "Best In Show".
October 15, 2016
The best Guest movie IMO.
October 8, 2016
Even though this is only PG-13, it was rated this because of sexual innuendo, strong innuendo. It wasn't great for my 14 year old.
½ September 22, 2016
I think this film is the pinnacle of Christopher Guest's art. It's his funniest film, and the best example of how his improvisatory style allows some incredible humour to emerge from the creation and exploration of characters.
½ September 19, 2016
Best in Show is actually my first experience with one of Christopher Guest's mockumentaries. I'm not sure that this style of film is quite up my alley, because I didn't often laugh out loud while watching. However I did chuckle a fair amount, and I certainly see the humor in it all. Poking fun at the dog show scene is perhaps easy pickings, because that entire culture clearly takes itself way too seriously, but I was impressed that Guest found a way to make fun without totally condemning. Unless you count the hilarious dialogue of Fred Ward who is constantly saying the kind of things that most of us (as outsiders) might be thinking. The genius of Guest is in casting, and helping to create unique characters. Every actor is amazing in this film, and commits 100% to their role. My favorite pairing is probably Parker Posey and Michael Hitchcock as the over-stressed couple who spend half of the film freaking out about one thing or another. Similar to many authentic documentaries, the film is more about the event (the dog show) and the people involved in it rather than about a plot that threads through. Sure, some of the characters have some growth or change over the course of the film, but it's hardly what you would call a traditional arc. I think that's fine in a film of this genre, but I don't like it quite as much as story-driven films. I wouldn't shy away from exploring more of Guest's films, but I doubt the mockumentary genre is ever going to be a favorite of mine. Your mileage may vary, and if you love this style of film I think Best in Show is one you must check out.
September 17, 2016
Starts out slow, but the laughs pick up as you go on. The funniest character is definitely Fred Willard's clueless announcer, and his scene with Bob Balaban made me laugh pretty hard. I can't help but compare it with Waiting for Guffman, which had many of the same actors, and for me this one wasn't quite as funny or enjoyable. But it has enough laughs to make it worth the 90 minutes.
½ August 29, 2016
Hilariously acted, superbly written and fantastically constructed, Best In Show is plain laugh-out-loud funny... And because of the relentless onslaught of laughter it provides, it is clearly the strongest of the Christopher Guest trilogy: absolutely gut-wrenching.
Verdict: A
August 14, 2016
- Awesome cast. Will Sasso!
- OMG the bloodhound's face is so smooshy I just can't even.
- I bet money Eugene Levy is sporting fake teeth.
- OMG the poodle with the blue socks. Butch the bitch.
- Catherine O'Hara...from BEETLEJUICE! Wow, she's aged well. Put her nametag right on her skin she did.
- And THERE's the full on kiss. That dinner was epic. With the head in the gargoyle story.
- All the world clocks in the Taft hotel reception are the same time.
- Every scene is just absolute freakin gold!
- Holy crap the MC is Fred Willard. Every single thing out of his mouth is completely inappropriate. Every. Single. Thing. I love it.
- Holy crap they're freaking the hell out about the Bizzy BEEEEEEEEE. Dog don't care.
- Holy crap she is STILL FREAKING OUT!
- "Bring out the standard poo, please."
- Wow are all these dogs good sports or what?!
- Director Christopher Guest did Princess Bride. And Spinal Tap. The Daily Show. I like almost every single thing in his filmography.
½ July 22, 2016
If there's any subset of society that deserves to be the subject of ridicule, it's competitive pet owners. Guest and company nail it again.
½ June 30, 2016
It starts out pretty hilarious, but then the rest of the movie just isn't funny at all. There is one good ongoing joke though! It has great performances from a great cast, and great characters (and a pretty wide range of them) that are all well written and developed, and very good introductions for all of them! But this movie is just not worth watching.
June 25, 2016
Ok, this is a surrealistic movie
June 3, 2016
Best in Show is a 100% delight. Christopher Guest is the absolute master of crafting unique, quirky characters that hysterically skewer the real-life men and women they parody without ever demeaning them. In fact Guest must have some odd affection and reverence for them because of how vividly he brings the esoteric world of dog show handlers to life. Just about every joke hits a bullseye.
April 26, 2016
"Best in Show" is one of the best mockumentaries out there.
½ April 15, 2016
An improv mocumentary with an ensemble cast that tickles the funny bone. Christopher Guest directs and co-wrote the feature which satires the dog show community. It's rarely not funny and very over the top but hits all the right notes.

What's really impressive is with all the characters none are underdeveloped, and you're left wanting more of each. The actors are brilliantly cast and precise.
April 10, 2016
As Spinal Tap described the rock and roll lifestyle perfectly, this one does for the eccentricities of the Westminster dog show.
April 6, 2016
Fred Willard steals the show. Other than that.... this movie, documentary.. is SO bizarre, I'm shocked it ever got put on the big screen. Nevertheless, its packed with good actors, and sort of makes you feel sad that this world actually sort of exists.

I enjoyed it, but I doubt anyone I even know of would feel anything buy hate for this. Prove me wrong world!
April 2, 2016
Yeah Fred Willard is hysterical but I'll make the case that its Posey and Hitchcock who actually steal the show here. Their willingness to be as unpleasant as possible in every scene they have is quite admirable.
April 1, 2016
A satire of dog show competitions, "Best in Show" is funny because it's true.
½ March 25, 2016
2016-03-25 the Weimaraner wasn't neurotic, the owners were nuts. in fact all of them were nuts. which I guess was the point of the movie.