Birds of Passage (Pájaros de verano) Reviews

• May 07, 2020

Very realistic and interesting to watch. However, the more complex the business became, the more inconsistent I found the plot. The plot holes weren't a huge problem, luckily. The story got so good and strong that I couldn't stop watching.

• Apr 07, 2020

My understanding of its finer details and greater appreciation of the film and its storytelling didn't arrive until after I had seen this movie. BIRDS OF PASSAGE certainly does tell what's a familiar plot outline with originality, largely courtesy of its setting, characters and incorporating their routines and rituals into the story. An excellent film.

• Feb 14, 2020

A slight disagreement with 'Birds of Passage' on a hubby and wife date night. Hubby loved it, while wife came around but only for the super third act. Hubby: Five segments encompass this wildly engaging Columbian feature that is cerebral and authentic. This gave me such a 'Goodfellas' vibe and that is a great thing. It's immersive and intense and shot so beautifully. Wonderful choices were made in a film that should be seen! Wife: The first half of the movie was dreadful. Slow. But not a good build up slow. Just a boring slow. As the male leads character developed into a real person you can feel with, the movie got better but overall, it was a 2 hour movie that felt like 4 hours that could have been said in 70 minutes. Wife: 6.7/ Average Final Score: 7.4/10

• Feb 06, 2020

Sophocles in Colombia, a classical tragedy in a modern setting, a sad story beautifully filmed.

• Jan 21, 2020

Un poco lenta al principio, no obstante, en la medida en que la pelicula se comienza a desarrollar, ésta entra en unn vorágine de elementos interesantes. Un film que digno de un origen posible de procesos de narcotráfico. Además expone aspectos interesantes de la cultura Wayúu y su conexión con el espacio particular en el cual habitan. ¿Por qué verla? Porque es un film que propone atrevidamente un dialogo posible entre identidad y cosmovisión tradicional por un lado, y modernidad donde prima el criterio de capital monetario por el otro. Finalmente, los humanos son humanos, y como cada capitulo lo va indicando en los tiempos de la pelicula, los caminos son similares para todos.

• Jan 09, 2020

Absolutely gripping and endlessly fascinating, despite the placid appearance and static framing. A completely different perspective on a drug gang.

• Dec 30, 2019

From a simple and innocent beginning, getting marijuana for some Americans, the world spins out of control into empire and destruction. I liked the movie but did not love it--and I will keep an eye out for what the director or directors (Cristina Gallego, Ciro Guerra) do next.

• Dec 03, 2019

Somewhat slow paced, but beautifully built movie on the effect of the drug traffic on an indigenous population in 60s-80s Colombia.

• Nov 23, 2019

Poderia ser um Spaguetti ocidental, mas não é, porque o cinema de Guerra sempre acessa outra dimensão. Uma dimensão mítica, cheia de sabedoria ancestral e incompreensível para o mundo contemporâneo, uma dimensão surreal, onde os mortos enviam mensagens aos vivos e antecipam o destino. Dessa forma, Summer Birds (2018) pega recursos do oeste e do gangster para falar sobre outra coisa: a tragédia da cultura.É o cinema que realmente ultrapassa os limites da narrativa e dos modelos genéricos

• Nov 02, 2019