Black Panther - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Panther Reviews

January 16, 2019
Refreshing and sometimes downright gorgeous aesthetics. Corny dialogue. Cool but edgy-to-the-point-of-comedy villain. Really bad, incredibly blurry fight scenes. Awesome audio.
½ January 15, 2019
I loved the character when he was first introduced and I couldn't wait to see the film, but I guess my own anticipation and the Hollywood hype ruined it for me. Aside from some incredible action fight and chase scenes, this movie just falls flat. The theme of street hood villain done wrong out for revenge just didn't do it for me.
January 15, 2019
The movie so perfect, i can't swear in my word
January 15, 2019
There's something wrong when Black Panther is the dullest part of 'Black Panther'. The supporting characters were much more interesting (with the exception of the FBI - CIA - whatever, the white guy).
January 15, 2019
A solid film with a great likeable cast. Its slow to start but once the action kicks in it manages to hold your interest :)
½ January 15, 2019
Black panther is one of marvels best with incrdible and relatable characters that have a lot of emotion and motivations. The action sequences are fun and the film is well directed and deserves its massive cultural success. What an amazing and unique superhero film.
January 15, 2019
A cultural PHENOMENON that is largely unparalleled in recent cinema, Black Panther is a very solid, if unspectacular, film. The biggest DISAPPOINTMENT is that the third act is typical superhero fair (cgi battle royale) instead of diving further into the cultural revolution and worldview conflict so masterfully set up in the first half of the film.
½ January 15, 2019
One of the worst Marvel movies I have seen to date. First of all the title of the movie is not called Marvel Studios. It seems like they are more interested in advertising Marvel than having people know what the name of the movie is. You need to have a title screen at the beginning of every movie! There were a lot of blacks in this film and it shows that they are downplayed compared to the other Marvel movies. The story line about how you get to be Black Panther was just a dumb idea, making it so you can just lose it and give it to another person and have him be Black Panther. The cinematography was terrible. Most of the fight scenes were all shaky camera or way too close up to see what was going on. The lighting during the night scenes were way too dark and you could barley see the characters' faces. I did not like the costumes either. The end battle scenes were just ok and compared to the other finales from other Marvel movies, it was not that good. The only part i liked is when they go into the Korean Casino and gamble. I'm not seeing any more Black Panther movies. I hope his character gets killed off in the next Avengers so I don't have to deal with anymore of it.
January 14, 2019
Takes the genre past what we expect. A terrific achievement.
½ January 14, 2019
Marvel sets up another new and stand alone world with amazing performances as they all play great, deep and charismatic characters, with Michael B Jordan's villain being one of their best yet. Letita Wright and Winston Duke are two talents to look out for while soundtrack is simply amazing. The blend of genres with beautiful melodies and anthems that will get you moved or pumped making Ludwig Goransson another fresh new talent! Sometimes the script seems unbalanced or disjointed while the visuals are strong but do falter in certain key scenes. Ryan Coogler clearly does a lot for this movie and Marvel should be proud of what they have created to hopefully pave their way for more movies of this great quality.
January 14, 2019
Very predictable. Nothing special.
½ January 14, 2019
A fresh new superhero movie that is different and unique to the rest of the franchise.
January 14, 2019
Exciting, well written, but fairly obvious action movie. Great artistic work that isn't a brilliant story, but few superhero movies are. Superstar cast. Most people hating on this movie watched it with the intention of hating it.
½ January 14, 2019
great special effects and fantasy world, but fight scenes were terrible - no sense of danger in any of them, no blood, poor camera work, there is more cantact in an NBA game. I was surprised the white guy saves the day in the end, why not use panther's sister to fly the plane?
January 13, 2019
Great characters, great casting, solid action and beautiful visuals. Would definitely fall in my top ten of Marvel Creations. Looking forward to the sequel.
January 13, 2019
It was okay. Better than Hulk. It had good parts, but those were tempered with fantasy breaking laziness on the parts of the writers. Lazy tropes such as he's a great fighter and the fight starts out that way, then he suddenly is a lousy fighter.

That said, Chadwick Boseman was awesome.
January 13, 2019
A better than average Marvel Movie. I enjoyed it.
January 13, 2019
A particular type of movie transports us to a new world, and entering through that door to get a seat is like entering into an airplane. Depends on the country, or culture, and the number of films that were made under their own domestic taste, it's the majority of the audience's taste in familiarity, which leaves the independent and foreign films to broaden our horizons. Now into the superhero genre, comics are just colorful drawings while film adaptations of selective storylines are lively like our world - while at the same time works as our escapism. From what just been said, Marvel's latest solo outing for a proper feature and intro of the starred hero's world "Black Panther" offers a unique and graceful cultural experience within the genre's standards but exceeds expectations to be an exhilarating peak.

After "Civil War" wherein T'Challa's father died, the son returns home to a hidden, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to properly take his rightful place as king. As he returned home, his beginning duties as king meets the first bump when drawn to an age-old, unresolved conflict that invites another, still-connected conflict of hidden heritage. T'Challa's faces treachery and danger as his identity as both king and the Black Panther gets threatened, along with the questionable fate of his homeland's stance towards the rest of the outside world, as well heritage customs.

While it's a unique experience and honorably restricted within the homeland narrative boundaries, "Black Panther" continues the Marvel-ous power of glorifying excellence under its own cinematic creativity. The exhilarating peak of the MCU, as well the bar-raising standards for a solo film, is due to how absorbing the introduced world is with fully embodied characters to express their ideals and culture's importance, including perfect chemistry and appealing attachment. While the exhilaration and absorption are both minimally powered by the further advanced visual effects, what took them to the maximum is the human soul via the great cast's performances, reaching an emotional peak for such filmic soul of an MCU film - with the emphasis provided by Ludwig G 1/2ransson's composed score juggling between cultural African elements and cinematic customs whilst accompanied by specially associated experimental hip hop.

From "Fruitvale Station" to "Creed" to this mainstream blockbuster, director Ryan Coogler continues his modernizing Spike Lee-esque auteuristic theme and taste with realistic depth, especially behind the antagonistic force of stirring the complicating action towards something of humanization. This film really fits into his constant vision of presenting overlooked cultures and characters that are mainly people of color, with the maintained touch of reality within an attractively accustomed superhero world. Couple occasions throughout the film showed impressive cinematography by Rachel Morrison ("Mudbound") with a long shot of an occurring brawl and few trippy rotations along with Coogler's own way to emphasize a moment like how a composer does.

"Black Panther" is probably the most meaningful in terms of realism through authentic designs, tastes and thematic ideas that speaks volumes into fine representations of ethnicities as in it is culture over the visual presentation of introducing a hidden world, thanks to the excellent determination of the cast, particularly, and crew, including the director himself. Not only did this solo film ultimately raised the standards of a solo-focused MCU film with the computer-generated, action-packed and explored exhilaration and very well performed, dynamical emotion of displaying perfect chemistries, it also places the film in a contending race of such award-winning potentials than most visually-impressive Marvel films. So as a superhero film in a benchmarking franchise, it's the best singular picture yet; then as a regular film for those outside the comics and even the interconnected cinematic universe, it's entertaining with a self-contained value. (A+)

Wakanda Forever
½ January 12, 2019
Characters, setting and subtext are interesting, but the film is an action movie, and in this side it is very obvious movie.
½ January 11, 2019
A different type of cliche that delivers crafty defined moments.