Black Panther - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Panther Reviews

November 15, 2018
The film that easily restored my faith in the MCU, the only complaing I have is the CGI is off now and then. This movie easily prioritizes story and nuance over action
November 15, 2018
best movie of the year i love chicken life
½ November 14, 2018
Poorly done. No substance. I wish they put some effort in to this.
½ November 14, 2018
Very poorly done. If you want a story like this done well watch Coming to America with Eddie Murphy.
November 14, 2018
Long overdue update to the superhero genre conventions but still a superhero genre film.
½ November 14, 2018
My son got bored during the movie, and I yawned the whole time. We left half way through. It was pretty bad.
November 14, 2018
"Black Panther" staring well regarded actor and a hunk of a chadwick Boseman.

Overall though i very much enjoyed my stay in the Wakanda great wifi decent toilets but lacking sever amount of Paul Rudd, overall i had a ball. I do believe though this movie should have been set in a separate universe where Owen Wilson (famous for his role in the hit motion picture Cars.) takes on the role of Thanos and this leads to Rudd and Boseman on the moon while teaming with martians. Other than that this is an absolute cinematic masterpiece with thrills, spills and more spills, 10 on 10 IGN, would recommend to everyone from my mother to my brother to half cousin, BEST DCEU film to date, only love JJ.<3
November 13, 2018
It's beautiful cinematography and excellent effects make it stand out from the rest of the pack and some much-needed social commentary boost it to the MCU Hall of Fame. It features of the MCU's best villains and an incredible likeable and badass roster of supporting characters. It's unfortunate its main character is overshadowed so often however.
½ November 13, 2018
The small African country Wakanda is the setting for this origin tale of an African king given superhero powers. A quick introduction to the culture of Wakanda and the origins of the protector of the people lets the viewer know they are not seeing a typical Marvel movie. There is more culture here and more of an importance for this superhero to remain connected to his people more so than any other superhero I have seen. We are reminded of the tragedy of the death of Prince T'Challa's father and the role he must assume as the new Black Panther. The weight of dual roles as the protector and king weigh heavily on the young prince.

The titular character is played with effortless cool by Chadwick Boseman but infused with a humanity that most actors cannot provide their superheroes. With a look, he can tell the viewer how he is feeling and when he is struggling with a difficult situation. He really grounds this movie by constantly reminding us of his humanity. Sometimes, it is difficult to identify with a superhero because they seem so distant with their abilities. Black Panther works well by allowing him to have fallibility and not being perfect at all times.

The sister is played by Letitia Wright and she is my other favorite character in the movie consistently playing off her brother well who is Black Panther. Tech whiz continues to play a vital role in the king's success and offers quips which are not just throw away one-liners. The ability for her to ground her brother when he is getting cocky is important for keeping the family dynamics of this story. His sister and group of protectors work together to make this feel like more of a collective effort than a single extraordinary effort. This makes the film unique in how it chooses to unveil a culture and reveal a group as the fighting force rather than a singular entity.

Michael B. Jordan plays the villain to Boseman's Black Panther questioning who should be the rightful king. I enjoyed how the villain was written as a character with real concerns such as never feeling like he belonged. Also, being removed from a culture you were supposed to grow in would be shocking as well. The motives are relatable and you can feel for the villain which allows the character to be more dimensional than you typically see in origin stories. My problem is more with his performance which lacked the depth the character was written to have and he just seemed to be playing himself again in this film. I felt Boseman imbued his character with far more complexity but was not written as well as the villain.

Also, the supporting characters are woefully underwritten as well. It is never apparent what makes the best friend of Prince T'Challa change his allegiance. I get the message was rousing and it was interesting to hear about the dominant societies of the past. The reasoning for being a conqueror was compelling but it still did not explain how easily different tribes decided to turn against each other. Maybe, it was the fact Wakanda is so fractured and needed more unification. I get it but the writing made it rushed and too simple to explain how everything had gone to hell so quickly. More development was needed for his best friend and there are other characters who would be throwaways as well. Less would be more in this case and an overall better film.

The world building of this picture really drew me in and becomes one of the characters itself. Here we have a Marvel movie taking more chances even if it does not deliver on all of its promises. More thoughtful editing and a better performance from Jordan could have elevated this movie as something more. This film had a lot to say and it compels you to think more than an average popcorn movie. I really enjoyed it but I stayed due to the playful bantering of Boseman and Wright.
½ June 4, 2018
Chadwick Boseman did fantastic as the Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War. Other actors, like Michael B. Jordan and Lupita N'yongo did well in the film. Some of the action scenes like the casino fight were good. But the CGI goes over the top and I didn't buy into Andy Serkis's portrayl as Klaw, much.
May 31, 2018
A very good movie start to finish. A well developed character and cast. Proof a movie can be made well and not have to TOTE the SJW line hardcore. If you really have liked the MU then t his is one you have to watch and add, esp before you see infinity War.
½ May 28, 2018
I watched Infinity War, and wanted to check out this movie. But, I was quite disappointed.
½ May 27, 2018
Terribly written plot with holes everywhere.
May 27, 2018
By far the best movie of the MCU.
May 27, 2018
rt: STOP FILTERING REVIEWS YOU DON'T AGREE WITH. aND FIX YOUR SITE ... i CAN'T SWITCH OUT OF ALL-CAPS ... ONLY ON YOUR SITE.
½ May 27, 2018
One of the better of Marvel films. Black Panther actually has an interesting antagonist and was thoroughly entertaining throughout,.
½ May 25, 2018
Ryan Coogler has created the best Marvel film yet. BP boasts a talented and passionate cast. The visuals pop, and there are a lot of references and stylistic choices that allow for a lot of artistic interpretation. While Michael B's Killmonger wasn't quite the masterful performance, to me, that many others effused, he was still pretty well-developed, energetically acted, and his final scene with Boseman was fantastic. BP was everything I wanted in a superhero film.
½ May 25, 2018
Terrible CGI, ok story
½ May 24, 2018
I wanted this to be awesome, I thought Black Panther in Civil War stole the show! and once you brush off the hype and identity politics this movie is mediocre at best.
½ May 24, 2018
overall great movie. good acting, vibranium was overplayed as a cure all to anything but not really the movies fault. fight scenes were a bit generic. but still happy with it