Breach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breach Reviews

½ October 19, 2017
Not entirely problem free but Chris Cooper is all over his role - Laura Linney is good - and it is a solid and interesting enough (based on a true) story. Some of the other actors are less up to par - and I will swear up and down that a couple scenes could never possibly have happened in real life - even though I don't KNOW - and I'm not going to attempt the research - but they could not have rung true less. But it's pretty good overall. 6.9 out of 10
July 14, 2017
was good but I fell asleep for the last half hour
June 13, 2017
Chris Cooper is wonderful in this film--it is a true virtuoso performance. The film is riveting and suspenseful and definitely worth a watch! Considering the Russian investigation now, we can see a whole new relevance to this film.
½ June 9, 2017
if only R.P. had better acting chops this move would have really been a blockbuster.

Chris Cooper spiked the football on this one. Out of the park incredible performance
June 6, 2017
I am a huge fan of thrillers or films that involve suspense and sharp storytelling. So I felt as if I should've liked Breach. For me, it didn't click at all.
Although it is a true story about Robert Hanssen. (Chris Cooper) The film felt rather dull and underwhelming as far as storytelling and style. Everything else is ok.
Everyone knows that substance beats style. This film was not afraid to stay true to that, but a film still needs a certain amount of style to stay strong. Style which Breach clearly lacks. In other words, it was almost completely substance, to the point where it was afraid to get carried away with style.
The acting was decent, the plot was good, the writing wasn't perfect, but it was up there. The movie over all was nowhere near horrible, but if I could describe it in one word it would be, 'empty'.
The films only purpose was to give us info on the real life story and put it into the form of a thriller. Which was actually a good idea. The execution could've been better though.
Over all, Breach (like I said) didn't click with me. I just found some flaws that overcame the rest of the movie. 2/5 stars
½ May 25, 2017
It started a little slow, but turned into a solid thriller. One of Chris Cooper's more memorable roles. (First and only viewing - Spring 2007 in theaters)
April 5, 2017
Good and enjoyable film
November 3, 2016
Interesting based-on-a-true story. Acting was a little monotone, but still good.
½ October 12, 2016
10/9/16 The story kept me interested the whole way through. Well acted and it felt very realistic. Interesting that this is a true story. Some of the moments were "quiet" and slow paced, but it felt tense enough throughout.
½ September 15, 2016
I defy anyone to try and take their eyes off of Chris Cooper's performance.
½ September 4, 2016
Having read a book about Hannson, this film nails his character (or lack of it).
½ July 10, 2016
A fantastic espionage thriller with an absolute spot on performance from Chris Cooper, who plays Robert Hannsen the real life FBI agent who was charged as the biggest spy in US history.
Ryan Philipe is great here as the real life man who was assigned to watch him, who was ultimately responsible for his taking down.
The movie really focuses on one central theme, with his relationship with his wife loosely in the backdrop.
The movie follows the one on one direct relationship that the two men have, as Philipe is basically his day to day assistant: driver, secretary, etc.
He reports to an FBI agent when paged, and informs her of his movings, and day to day operations, basically what he does with his life.
I thought the movie could of been better if it focused more on the FBI operations surrounding the investigation. The movie did do this not to be mistaken, but I did want a little more involvement from other characters. However the goal of the movie took on directly the one on one relationship the 2 men had and it did work.
A bond is formed at first until he learns the man is really a spy.
You see the case affect his marriage as it becomes on the rocks.

Again outside the one on one between the 2 men everything else is loosely plotted and not too involved. I think a little bit more of that would of escalated the film into a bit better of a category. I also felt with the subject matter being involved, it could have been a little more intense and moving. After the film I was impressed, but not totally moved like that of a 4 star or more film.

All that being said, fantastic performance from Cooper, and a damn good one by Phillipe make this movie an absolute recommendation.
½ June 12, 2016
While it seems that critics and the audience disagree on this film (critics generally liking it and the audience not so much), this is an intelligent thriller based on the true story of the worst security breach in U.S. history. An intense investigation was underway after finally realizing that it was a U.S. operative and director, who sold secrets to the Russians for almost 20 years, causing loss of critical information/intelligence and even loss of life. It being a true story makes it even more chilling, as the film explores the mind of a traitor with all of the pent-up guilt he felt, while he still continued to sell secrets and his use of religious faith to try to deal with it all. Great performances all around.
May 30, 2016
Breach is a fine-tuned spy thriller with a great story. It lacks originality somewhat, but makes up for it with fine performances by Cooper, Linney, and Philippe.
½ April 7, 2016
Suffice to say the best ever espionage movie made to perfection.
½ March 24, 2016
Intriguing spy drama.

The true story of the sequence of events that lead to the arrest of Robert Hanssen for espionage in 2001. Hanssen (played by Chris Cooper) was a senior agent at the FBI. An agent-in-training, Eric O'Neill (Ryan Phillippe), is hired as Hanssen's assistant, in order to keep tabs on him. O'Neil is initially not told of the true nature of the investigation. Once he finds out, however, the layers of deception increase and he soon finds himself in danger.

An interesting, well told story, directed by Billy Ray, director of the even-better Shattered Glass. Starts quite dryly and in bit unfocused a fashion. This is probably deliberate, as initially O'Neill is not too sure of his mission and nothing really happens. However, after a while the pieces fall into place and we have a reasonably tense drama.

Solid performances from Chris Cooper and Ryan Phillippe in the lead roles. Good supporting cast that includes Laura Linney, Gary Cole and Kathleen Quinlan.
½ January 26, 2016
(year unknown) - saw at the end of June; enjoyed it. Watched it again 2016-01-26, still good.
December 16, 2015
Here's one that I missed when it came out in 2007 and I'm sorry I did. Breach is based on the story of Robert Hannsen, the FBI agent who spied for the Soviet Union (and after its fall, Russia). Chris Cooper plays Hanseen and Ryan Phillippe plays his assistant Eric O'Neill who is placed in the position to gather evidence on Hanssen. Laura Linney is also in the cast as the leader of the FBI task force assigned to mole hunt.
December 13, 2015
This film is intense, even though the ending is given away at the beginning. That's how you know this is a really great suspense thriller
October 24, 2015
Had me biting my fingernails, as there was a great cat and mouse game going. Good account, script, and crips acting always enjoy Chris Cooper when he is cast into a good role.