Brideshead Revisited - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brideshead Revisited Reviews

July 5, 2016
While this film has stunning production values and a great cast, I cannot recommend any film which does such a terrible disservice to its source material. The novel upon which this is based is a far different work of art than this refined and rather lifeless film. It's pretty but rather bad.
½ June 27, 2016
Remade from a 1980s flick Bridehead begins in the 20s.  This a win for me already since I adore the fashions of the 20s.  Julia's engagement gown made me swoon.  I don't know if I'm skilled enough to make this though.  Maybe if I found a pattern. This one on the other hand would be quite easy if I could just find this fabric. The movie was quite good.  I like flicks where you don't quite know who to root for because no one is particularly good.  This is recommended and it's a love story...kinda.
½ November 4, 2015
An interesting yet certainly not memorable drama with some very fine performances and a strong story about family, religion and faith in the context of the decadence of British aristocracy prior to WWII, and it may leave you thinking about it long after the film is over.
December 31, 2014
I loved the original mini-series with Jeremy Irons. Brideshead Revisited certainly brought on a mild form of anglophilia.
½ November 26, 2014
This is a perversion of the original Waugh novel, which I DID read, and which did NOT have this homosexual theme. The person(s) who put up the "movie info" section here on RT should be fired or at least cautioned for failing to warn would-be viewers of this gay "take" the producers have wrongly chosen here.
July 22, 2014
all the parts with sebastian were excruciatingly dull and didn't allow the audience to feel any connection with any of the characters, but once sebastian was removed from the plot and the story began to explore julia and charles's relationship and his obsession with brideshead, the movie became more real and tolerable. it could have been a full price film if sebastian was cut out, but at present, it's a matinee - with regards to how well portrayed the film was as an adaptation of the book, i cannot say much, as i have not read the book yet
April 2, 2014
I have the feeling that this is one of the rare time I saw actors playing so naturally, and making me forget that I was watching a movie and not their real life. I saw that some said that it lacks in depth of the characters, but yes, I agree and that's why it made it so enjoyable to me. Everything was suggested, just like if you met the persons in real life and could only give a guess to what they are thinking, and not over-played in the drama like in many other -even good- movies.
December 28, 2013
Good actors. Too bad about the script which loses the whole point of the story.
½ December 9, 2013
What a great story. It was thrilling and heartbreaking all at the same time. The cast was brilliant and the ending was how it had to be.
½ December 8, 2013
Not a disaster but you can't not compare it to the series and that's where it fails.
December 7, 2013
Very well coreographed and exectued film. I was very impressed... Emma Thompson is, as always, bloody fantastic, and Castle Howard as the location for Brideshead was just... gah... spot on. Really enjoyed it... a good, heavy drama... with some even more heavy sexual tension... holy crap
½ October 2, 2013
The movie is good, thou the 1981 ITV series is better.
September 26, 2013
The nuances and complexities of the novel weren't translated well into the movie, leaving it dull and one dimensional. Character interpretations were wooden. Lovely cinematography and costumes.
August 9, 2013
Brilliant like the book, very good job with the interiors.
June 15, 2013
4/5 Pretty amazing, although it is slow at times and falters towards the end. Will have to check out the mini-series.
½ May 30, 2013
Distinctly average retelling of what was a British television classic. Too complex a story to be abridged in this way, no real getting to know the characters and therefore no empathy with them. Love Matthew Goode to look at tho!
May 27, 2013
I came to this with some trepidation, thinking that no film could do justice in only two hours what the 1981 TV Series took 12 hours over. I was wrong.
Brideshead Revisited (2008) is a beautifully filmed and well acted screen treatment of the novel. I think it helps that they have re-used Castle Howard as Brideshead and that Matthew Goode (as Charles Ryder) is such a ringer for the young Jeremy Irons. Once you get past Ben Whishaw's hair NOT being fair (which takes a few minutes), then he plays a rather excellent version of Sebastian Flyte. The Charles-Sebastian-Julia love triangle is portrayed rather well, although here Charles' affections move from Sebastian to Sebastian's beautiful but (strangely) more forbidden sister rather faster, because the (relatively) short screen time forces some concatenation of the plot. Emma Thompson makes a very good Lady Marchmaine, whose over-commitment to her religion is the nexus of most of the psyochological scars in all her children.
May 26, 2013
i thought it was beautiful
April 27, 2013
Lush, depressing, picturesque, Downton Abby-ish, British drama.
March 22, 2013
Beautiful and moving, though it doesn't tell the story you expect at the start. Excellent performances from Emma Thompson, Matthew Goode, and Michael Gambon.