Charlotte Gray Reviews

• Jul 23, 2019

Very well played. The ending wrapped up too quickly and they could / shoukd have filled in details from 1944-45 in the lives of the main character.

• Oct 14, 2018

great movie. very sad though.

great movie. very sad though.

• Dec 21, 2017

best movie ever love cate

best movie ever love cate

• Apr 24, 2016

Not a bad story about a woman who becomes a ww2 secret agent, I just couldn't get past the annoying Cate Blanchet.

• Mar 12, 2016

This movie has given me four tingles and I'm only half through it. It's too real. The tingle is what you get when you think you're sober but you see art that wakes you up. Now why did the critics in 2002 not want you to see this movie? Because 2001 had "changed the world forever" which meant, "From now on, don't ask questions." This movie asks them and answers them. To summarize, let me quote Aquinas: war is so morally problematic, only the best people should engage in it.

• Sanity Assassin ! Super Reviewer
    Feb 21, 2016

Average war stuff starring Cate Blanchett. A little insight into the SOE.

Average war stuff starring Cate Blanchett. A little insight into the SOE.

• Nov 28, 2015

Not a bad war movie/love story thriller about a woman who is so enamored with a soldier she falls in love with during the war, and when he's captured, becomes a spy to not only help France, but to also look for her soldier love! Sort of crazy yes, but it's remarkably calm. Blanchett and Crudup are fine, but Michael Gambon, as usual, steals the show.

• Oct 24, 2015

The story is good, the pace is slower than molasses in June at the beginning, but then it picks up a little. I'm a HUGE Cate Blanchett fan, but this movie takes a while to get into. I've seen better WWII dramas, but it's always fascinating to me seeing the 'other side' of the war: the Resistance. Intense at times. About 20-30 mins too long, but overall, it was just OK. Sloppy ending...you don't know for sure what happened to the kids (although one can presume they didn't survive the war), the old man or the lady they took at the beginning.

• Jul 23, 2015

Always interesting to watch, Cate Blanchett does her best here, and it's set up as a spy adventure romance. Solid acting, decent script, and incredible locations with an evenly set intensity create a good film set during WWII. But, it's undone by some things that make it appealing: -beautiful cinematography makes it seem glossy and almost dreamlike, -filmed entirely in English with few accents makes it a bit emotionally hollow, -the strong dramatic performances are well pitched yet come across as slick here, and -despite the underpinnings of wartime intensity this is light and bloodless for a war movie. It could have been marketed as a tween romance and maybe rivaled the later vapid vampire craze, but I need to emphasize the acting is superb here, yet tainted by some of its other elements. Worth a look. 3 out of 5

• Jun 24, 2015

I found some of the characters less than believable, but not sure why!

I found some of the characters less than believable, but not sure why!