Chinatown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chinatown Reviews

October 18, 2016
5 ud af 5 næseplastre. Stadig et mesterværk 42 år efter.
September 15, 2016
A brilliant noir tragedy that is beautiful in its cynicism.
September 12, 2016
jack nicholson's best role
September 5, 2016
A stunningly great movie from start to finish, "Chinatown" is potentially the greatest movie in the neo-noir genre.
½ August 31, 2016
Welcome to Los Angeles the city of angels. Trust me, by the end of this movie you're going to be wondering if it should actually be referred to as the city of demons.
Jack Nicholson stars in Roman Polanski's Chinatown alongside Faye Dunaway and John Huston. Nicholson's character, J.J. Gittes, Is a private eye who delves into other people's secrets while trying to escape from his own.
J.J. Gittes is a private eye in a city where everyone has something to hide and on a regular afternoon, Gittes get asked to spy on a woman's husband to find out who he is being unfaithful with. This women is Mrs. Mulwray, wife of Hollis Mulwray, the chief engineer for the Los Angeles Water and Power Supply, an important and prominent figure in the city. Gittes gets the job done and the pictures end up in the local newspaper.
However, when Gittes is approached and handed a lawsuit by a women claiming to be the real Mrs. Mulwray (Faye Dunawaya), he realizes he was setup. Gittes, who is not easily hoodwinked and values is reputation, sets out to figure out who wanted to setup Mr. Mulwray.
This is where the web of lies begins. And as Gittes digs deeper and deeper the web begins to unravel, and to surprising results. What begins as a scandal involving the corruption and manipulation of one of Los Angeles most important resources quickly turns in to a story involving a lot of people and their very personal secrets. And somehow, they are all connected.
I don't really want to go too much into the plot because this movie really relies on its twists and turns that occur throughout the film. I can say though that this movie really has it all. It has an engaging story, great characters that I actually started to care about as the film went on. The atmosphere it brilliant, such a dark and corrupt story set in the backdrop of the beautiful Los Angeles.
There are three main characters at the forefront of the story. J.J. Gittes is our hero. He is a private eye who has secrets from his past that still trouble him. "Are you alone?" Gittes is asked at one point, and his response is "isn't everybody?" showing us just how lonely Gittes really is. Often times in this film Gittes is outnumbered and helpless and you begin to sympathize for him and his struggles and how impossible his task is.
Faye Dunaway plays Evelyn Mulwray, a character which a lot of the twists and turns revolve around. We don't really find out who or what she really is until the latter end of the movie. And as the credits were rolling, she still seemed a mystery to me.
Lastly, but certainly not least you have John Huston, in one of his most chilling performances as Noah Cross. Cross is very rich man who is associated with the LA Water and Power Supply and who is also
August 28, 2016
A neo-noir film with all the traits of the classic ones. All the archetypal characters are here but still the screenplay is nothing less than brilliant. As detective J.J. Gittes slowly unveils the mystery we stand mesmerised by great filmmaking and performances. Intense pessimism is the main characteristic here. After all, troubled times gave birth to the genre in the first place, troubled times were needed for its revival.
August 10, 2016
Neo-noir masterpiece.
August 8, 2016
Another masterpiece by Polanski!
July 30, 2016
The three leads (Nicholson, Dunaway and Huston) were great in this film and had great chemistry although i did find it rambled and dragged on a bit.
½ July 27, 2016
Great film, With fantastic direction, good acting, and an iconic haunting ending.
July 24, 2016
With a gripping story, fantastic performances and an iconic ending, Chinatown is a brilliant mystery drama that, despite some minor flaws, deserves its place as a classic.
July 19, 2016
One of Jack's greatest performances make this thriller-noir one of the best films ever made.
July 17, 2016
An otherwise good movie ruined by Polanski's improvised ending that was not in the script.
July 17, 2016
With the masterful screenplay by Robert Towne and the subtle yet inclusive visual style of Roman Polanski complemented by the chemistry between Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway Chinatown hits all the right notes for a Noir classic while also giving an unique and realistic message that leaves a profound statement.
July 11, 2016
I have seen this film dozens and dozens of times and I never tire of it. There are a lot of films that are variations on Raymond Chandler (some of them direct adaptations too, like "The Long Goodbye"), but few of them both capture the essence of Chandler and expand on his themes this effectively. Jack Nicholson's J.J. Gittes is Philip Marlowe expanded on and accentuated a bit. An effective detective who's probably too well educated and sensitive for his line of work. He knows he can't actually make a difference against rampant corruption, but it still bothers him. John Huston's Noah Cross is probably my favourite screen villain. He's genial and completely evil in a fatherly way. He's a man who does not care about what anybody thinks or does because he simply doesn't have to (note how he casually gets Gittes name wrong, says it right once when corrected, and then gets it wrong every time going forward). The way he seems to absorb Katherine during the film's climax is one of the most quietly chilling images ever committed to film.
July 3, 2016
Still stands up over time! A true classic piece of cinema! Amazing work all around!!!
June 25, 2016
noir at its (70's) best.
½ June 25, 2016
One of the best mysteries I saw. Jack Nicholson is such a beauty to watch.
Must watch.
June 23, 2016
A triumph: The music, the script, the directing, the photography, and Jack Nicholson's outstanding performance.