Chinatown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chinatown Reviews

½ June 9, 2018
This neo-noir masterwork is a one of the most shocking, and haunting crime thrillers I've ever seen in my life. Chinatown Features terrific lead performances from the Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, enchanting cinematography, a flawless script, and an impeccable, and atmospheric direction that created a rising tension. In addition, Polanski's masterpiece is intense as it's cynical, and full of intelligent twists that keep us always guessing and trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle. I really cannot find enough words of praise. For issues...... wait a second, I have no issues with this gem, I just wanted think it would have been a bit better if our protagonist, Jake, found it a little more difficult as he was searching for some of the clues, yeah there are a lot of littles, bits, and somes here.
Oh I forgot to mention that its music is one of the greatest
original scores ever. Also, the costumes designs are spellbinding! This movie should be on all top 10 lists of greatest movies of all-time!

(9.5/10)
½ June 4, 2018
The idyllic 1940s realm LA lives up to its "Lost Angels" monicker in a noir thriller that turns nightmarish as its secrets unfold and its players are scarred. Jerry Goldsmith shines in his quickly-composed offering.
May 16, 2018
Directed by Roman Polanski and stars Jack Nicholson as a private eye who is hired to investigate and expose her husband Hollis Mulwray but soon finds out that the woman who hired him was not his husband and finds him murdered it becomes something much bigger and much more complicated. To start things off the cast is fantastic in this movie, Jack Nicholson is magnificent especially his subtle acting, for example after Mrs. Mulwray saves him from being shot, the way he looks at her indicates its the first sign he is starting to fall in love her. There is also another scene in the movie where Jack shows brilliance in his subtle acting where he is checking up on Mrs. Mulwray because he feels something suspicious is going on, while he is driving just the look on his face shows that he is tired and he has been through a lot through out the day. Faye Dunaway is fantastic in this film as well and seeing her and Jack work together in this movie was amazing. Just like the acting the movie itself is also very subtle, the theme is not just straight up in your face it does require some thinking. This movie is also very good at foreshadowing for instance when Jake and Mrs. Mulwray are at the restaurant she says that she has had affairs but she would not call it cheating on her husband, that is indicating her father Noah Cross has raped her which is revealed later on in the movie. Noah Cross is a very disturbing villain the more I think about it because he is an old person who has raped his daughter and killed his son-in-law/former business partner and the actor who played him did a really good job. The movie is able to not feel messy even when a lot of things are going on and instead feels contained. The scene where he talks about his past in chinatown I felt like that could have been a movie by itself because in his past he talks about how he tries to protect this woman and later she dies, the same thing happens in the film where the woman who he is trying to protect dies and gets killed, he tries to do the right thing throughout the movie but in the end he is vulnerable and can't win and it was unavoidable and Jake is back to where he was before. The message of this movie is not a positive one but it is honest and it is great to sometimes see a movie that is not perfectly wrapped with a bow and everything is all good. Overall this movie is a must see and I will give this a definite 10 out of 10.
March 24, 2018
Lauded for it's yardstick screenplay and multi-layered storyline, Chinatown, for me, didn't quite live up to its hype. There's long sections of not much happening and I wasn't as invested in the mystery as I'd like to be. But Jack Nicholson gives an excellent performance that likely thrust him into fully-fledged leading man status. Faye Dunaway is admirably ambiguous, keeping us guessing about her motivation and true nature throughout. The screenplay succeeds because we learn all the clues as the main character does. Being shot entirely from his perspective, we're constantly in his state of mind. It might be a complicated tale, but we're given time to decipher it, and it never gets too much to handle. The ending is pretty abrupt but satisfyingly bleak, and the final line has become synonymous with leaving alone that which you can't change, regardless of how hard you try. I won't be watching it again anytime soon, but I'm glad I got to see what is widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, even if I don't quite concur with the consensus.
February 18, 2018
(6 out of 6)- Last years of the fedora
When we see going places is what we do best when we are a private eye that keeps an eye on those who are going places they are not supposed to. When we see what places those go to get what they want to change places with others in whom we don't see they replace. When what we see in all places we place those those who hire us to uncover the truth. When what place we uncover what is transpiring in such places that the public eye don't want you to see is something more. When we see what place those are in when a crime is committed. When what places we go to get to other places we see what access gets us there when it's our place among law enforcement. When we see what place we are really amongst those who know us we see getting into places is what we have been known to do, to get into other places after when its trouble.

When we see what place those want to only get others to move from such places when they can make a profit. When we see what others don't see is what places we look for to uncover how they did it to know what places were not there as such details emerge. When we see getting in deeper in other places we know what place they put ahead when they don't accept other places entering to fit right in.

When we see others putting us in our place we see what such places hold to when its our silence. When we see what places we get in and out of when it's danger, love, crime when everyone puts everyone into place when they too need to get out of places they wish not be in. When we see what place those can put us in we see what place we belong when we are of some help.

When we see what is in place to see all the clues and details surface. When we see what places those end up when they are 2 places at once when those whom think they owe claim to such places they take what they want and put those in outside places they don't wish to be in. When what place we see money no longer matters when it's the truth and justice we seek when we see that we can't allow those to get away from such injustices to place them under arrest and responsible. When we don't see what such places will take us in the heat of passion, we see that those who are less invested in such places they wish to open and close they put ahead other places to do its job, the lawful place.

When we see what place we end up and others end up when such places we know we will never escape when such places takes a hold of us that we see no other way. When we don't see such places coming, to see that such places are already too late to take back when it's Chinatown. When we don't see what other places are no longer wanted when reaching to late or what is no longer relevant are lower places that higher places wish to put out so they could do their job.

When we don't see what our place in society means only to go places others don't get to go to know what is the right place the law should favor.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
January 15, 2018
Chinatown still holds up as the defining neo-noir and one of the great films of all time. Direction and screenwriting are excellent. The plot is fairly complex but never confusing. Jack Nicholson is at his charismatic best; Faye Dunaway anchors a deeply cynical story with wisdom and pathos. Chinatown is in no way an uplifting film, but it manages to be engrossing, entertaining, and memorable.
½ January 11, 2018
Possibly the most overrated movie of the 70s. Either this or The Godfather.
½ January 6, 2018
Nicholson nuanced portrayal of a criminal investigator was refreshing and made the ending all the more impactful. Polanski is such a controversial man . . . but I tip my hat to him . . . All in all, it is disheartening to watch a film that still speaks volume in today's context where men of power are welding rights by passive citizens, the American Dream is an American Nightmare.
December 31, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Una historia intrigante pero simple.
½ December 24, 2017
M-F

8.3

[Roman Polanski]
½ December 17, 2017
A fantastically written, cynical and complex plot with surprising twists and turns, great directing from Polanski, and a magnetic performance from Nicholson as the main character make 'Chinatown' a riveting piece of entertainment that not only holds your attention all the way through, but does so with style. Add to that a gorgeous soundtrack from Jerry Goldsmith and you have yourself a masterpiece of the genre that was made at a time when this type of film was all but forgotten.
November 21, 2017
Some movies are impossible to remake like The Godfather or 12 Angry Man, this is one of them.
November 5, 2017
10/10

One of the few perfect movies ever made, atention to detail is the name of the game. Polanski and Nicholson at the top of their craft.
½ October 28, 2017
"Chinatown" is not the most beloved, best-known, or most remembered of the films, but ironically, it is one of the most important films of the 70's, "chinatown" is not a kind film, and it's not even the best movie of Polanski, but his narrative capacity is absurd, even to this day there is a maxim in entertainment that is not true, that all the stories have already been told, it is up to the interlocutor to tell them in different ways, and that is precisely what this movie does, inspired by the great noir films of the 1940s, it is not a novelty, and at the same time it is unlike anything we have seen, such as "the unforgivable" of '92 is the last great act of the western genre in cinema - even out of season, "chinatown" does the same thing with the noair genre. The great point that draws attention to "chinatown" is his script, he is completely magnificent, I would say, which is a complete synthesis of the perfection of how to script a movie, in 2 hours we have complete development of all the characters, we have a simple plot which gains layers of depth every minute, we have problems that mix with the city, turning into a political and social plot while bringing a classic story of a detective full of twists, who at one point surrenders to the cliché, but then surprises the all showing that in "chinatown" there are no spaces for the obvious. The film touches on such as love, police, ethics, society, organized crime, rape, nothing in a very deep way but also nothing is shallow, it gives the introduction to the theme, and the viewer who links the dots, alias, "chinatown" is a film that has to be seen and reviewed to be able to connect the points in a more satisfactory way, and to have a broad and complete notion of its history, which is not easy to understand in the first one visited during the film. With a great photo, extremely clear and brings new york life together with an assembly that joins the script to bring a great rhythm to the film, and a soundtrack that combines but is not marked in technical parts, the film has no much to criticize, is not perfect, but is not far behind the artistic part of the film, part that brings jack nicholson who is incredibly in a centered role, and alias, doing a great performance, and the stunning Faye Dunaway, who we love and hate her throughout the film, and she makes the whole story run around her, and she succeeds in behaving like the guiding thread of the script, interpreting many facets. Polanski and his artistic team did a fine job here, their film is not perfect, it's true, but it's a pity that it's not such a remembered movie, because the same is wonderful.
September 26, 2017
Trading slick for seedy and cool for cynical, this classic crime-drama film step by step is unraveled which forces involvement from the viewers, even if it kills. Roman Polanski directs with a feeling of voyeurism into the tangled web of corruption, while Jack Nicholson holds his own as the detective forced into the hole and finding his way through. Morals are challenged, and lies are told in this LA noir.
½ September 21, 2017
This American neo-noir mystery film certainly has its plot twists and turns. It features solid acting from the impressive cast, with Nicholson being the stand-out. Although there are a few slow periods, the desire to find out the ending will keep you interested. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time and one of the top three mystery movies of all time. AAN GGW 1001
September 17, 2017
an ok film where jack plays a detective
September 14, 2017
Following the private-eye, noir formula in some ways and cleverly subverting it in others, this film is a dazzling mixture of superb script, deft sure-footed, confident direction and truly great acting.
I don't think Nicholson has ever been better (which is really saying something). His performance is so brilliant that he lifts the performances of those around him, meaning that, even if you were on the look-out for the duff one amongst the great ones, you wouldn't find it.
There is absolutely nothing about this film that is not absolutely top-drawer. You come away from it feeling you really have seen one of the truly great pieces of American cinema, and there aren't many films that you can genuinely say that about.
August 31, 2017