Citizenfour Reviews

• Jan 07, 2020

Loved every minute of this and learned so much. Edward Snowden is a hero. He did what many of us will never get the chance to do. He stood up and exposed the truth when it would have been easier to just keep his head down. I am more afraid of my government after watching this, but will be paying closer attention and give more scrutiny to what I am being told.

• Feb 08, 2019

"We are building the biggest weapon for oppression in the history of mankind." Edward Snowden In January of 2013 documentary film director and producer Laura Poitras received an encrypted e-mail from a stranger who called himself Citizen Four, who offered to provide insider information about illegal wiretapping practices of the US National Security Agency (NSA) and other intelligence agencies. A few months later, along with two journalists, she went to Hong Kong and met with now famous Eduard Snowden. The documents that Snowden disclosed reveal organized control over the entire world telecommunications conducted by US "Intelligence Community" in conjunction with the US Government and with cooperation of the largest information and telecommunications corporations. This documentary doesn't contain new details about NSA covert operations or information about their plans. Everything said here is already known to all who have followed this case in the media. Nevertheless, Citizenfour is extremely powerfully historical document that recorded argumentation and thought process of one of the most significant whistle-blowers of our time. This is the key importance of the Citizenfour. Here, we see Snowden as an intelligent young man, rational, precise in thought and expression, very articulate and most importantly, courageous, ethical and highly motivated. Its not coincidence that Eduard Snowden is often compared with the case of analyst Daniel Ellsberg who in 1971 handed a large internal secret Pentagon report on the war in Vietnam to the press. A man who, guided by ethical principles, decides to risk everything he has and takes a step into the unknown deserves to be hailed as a hero. Without exaggeration, we can say that whistle-blowers who are giving to the public evidences of abuses and crimes of the state and corporations are the true heroes of our time. Another impression is also very strong - that of loathing we feel in front of blatant media lies of state representatives and bureaucrats of intelligence organizations. Today, this 1000 times repeated lie didn't become the truth - it remained a lie, and those behind it are continuing to be liars. We fully understand that the world system in we live in has absolutely no legitimacy, and is primarily maintained by the bare force and fear of that force. Strongest feeling that remains after watching this film is the anxiety about the direction in which the world is going and the hope that the possibility to change that route still exists. It is not the question of the nature of the society we live in. We know it, we understand it. The real question is - what kind of society do we want to live in? And, what we are willing to do to make that society happen? Iâ(TM)d also recommend that after seeing Citizenfour you watch the talk by Laura Poitras and Jacob Appelbaum "Reconstructing narratives - transparency in the service of justice" and Appelbaumâ(TM)s lecture on the militarization of the Internet "To Protect And Infect".

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Aug 01, 2018

I have watched this movie a few times. Watching it again on Netflix just to review.

• May 16, 2018

CITIZENFOUR is an excellent animation of events that the public typically only reads about in abstract and is forced to imagine.

• Jan 15, 2018

Really good documentary about Edward Snowden. It's amazing they made a documentary during about this story and filmed it in real time. I'm still not sure what to make of this story, but it's fascinating.

• Oct 29, 2017

This is Edward Snowden film in real footage documentary. Everything changes from here.

• Oct 28, 2017

A captivating look at the story of Snowden and his life before he came out and exposed the government.

• Oct 11, 2017

Pretty sure I'll be on the NSA watchlist for giving this documentary a good review

• Aug 19, 2017

First documentary movie I have watched on such a pertinent event I never got a clear picture of. Really enlightening to see things from a behind the scenes perspective of how it all went down: From hearing the man responsible Edward Snowden himself on footage to seeing the journalists and other relevant personnels involved. This is a must watch given its relevance in our modern society as it underscores our notions on technology and just how much we underestimate its ability to give off data that can track our every move. To quote Snowden: "It's not science fiction. This stuff is happening right now." Indeed we have to rethink just how easily we give our personal information away and really consider the possibility of the dystopian world depicted becoming a reality. For we are really not that far away.