Closer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Closer Reviews

July 13, 2017
Mike Nichols is the most underrated mainstream director in history. With Closer, he made the definitive portrait of an era film, analyzing 1990s casual dating culture. One of the few films that explored the sublime joy of seduction, along with the dark commentary that conquest isn't always what it promises to be.

What is such a quiet and unpleasant movie like Closer doing on a list otherwise dominated by loud and beautiful art pieces? I actually like Closer just because it is the worst romance movie ever made. There is something brutally honest about the screenplay, written by Patrick Marber, which examines the ugliest perspectives of couples and relationships. Anyone who has ever lived through a bad relationship can relate to one of the four archetypical characters in the film, or at least loathe one of the characters because of their "familiarity" to his/her own ex. Yes, Closer was a little too smart to be realistic (people in America don't really talk this elegantly) but it was the perfect representation for romantic suffering in the modern age. I fell in love with Closer during a time in my life when I found out firsthand out ugly love could be, how cruel people could be, and how such cruelty was nothing more than survival instinct. Mike Nichols is not exactly a visionary, but his films never fail to gouge the heart. Closer is not pleasant to watch and will age you a couple of years, but it's a must-see movie for anyone who has ever fallen from Cloud 9.

What I Learned: Really helped me to grasp that a lot of relationships are screwed up. That no coupling is perfect, and you might have to get a little dirty before you find something real and something worth keeping. I love Patrick Marber's obsessive and hopelessly cynical dialog. Truly a feel-bad movie classic that has inspired more cynical narrative in my own work.
June 17, 2017
i was bored when i watched it
June 7, 2017
Easily my favorite movie
May 9, 2017
The truth sometimes hurts..
½ April 7, 2017
The dialog wasn't believable. No one talks like these people in real life. Or maybe they do but I don't want to hear it. Natalie in her underwear was kind of cool but couldn't help this dull movie.
February 25, 2017
I take something new away from this movie each time I re-watch it. So much use of parallelism and irony. Fantastic performances from Owen and Portman. I love the fucked up, ugliness of it all. Who hasn't been some version of one of these unsympathetic people at some point in a relationship? Beautiful use of cadence in the dialogue.
February 19, 2017
sucky movie totally lame not cool
February 11, 2017
Então Closer se revela como a poética execução de uma triste ópera.
November 30, 2016
This is a tremendous adult film about actual adults and the intensity of of sexual politics and the power of both love and attraction. If you can't see that, then you're a dickslap.
½ November 4, 2016
Ridiculous, unrealistic and upsetting, but not in an interesting way.
October 29, 2016
Yep, it's a great film. Clive Owen owns every scene he's in. All 4 leads are great, just that Owens rebelling in the brashness of his character. Great stuff.
September 17, 2016
It's a truthful and painful look at adult relationships, which tend to be just a little complicated.
September 11, 2016
Mike Nichols, one of the greats in this industry directed in 2004 an interesting love story with 4 people. The film is closer and it begins with the first two individuals alice played by Natalie Portman and dan played by Jude Law who meet in the streets of London. They instantly hit it off and we learn a great deal about the two including the fact that alice is a stripper. later comes in Julia Roberts character Anna whom Dan starts flirting with. Larry Gray played by Clive Owen comes into the picture later and finds his way into this 4 way ordeal. all of them confront each other some fuck each other as well but they all deal with the heartbreak, the fun and passion that comes with this thing we know as love.
This is a really well written story. It's a lot like a play especially dialogue wise. the legendary mike Nichols weaves in these 4 lovers in such a fascinating fashion and makes one wonder about love in the world we live in. its quite funny how they all meet each other. Unfortunately it's something that never happens in real life but still pretty interesting to watch.
Natalie Portman supplies a good amount of intrigue with Alice. I like how she owned up to being a stripper and regardless of that she manages to have enough confidence to hook certain men in. She doesn't let this profession define who she is. She was the best out of this foursome cast. Portman and Clive owen have scenes were their chemistry was fantastic. Their scene in the strip club is one of the best acting scenes you'll ever get to see. Clive owen himself is pretty damn good here. his character works an honest profession but delves in his guilty pleasures. Like Roberts character he is also honest about his feelings. Julia Roberts is great here! she is a weak fragile woman who lets her heart get pulled in many directions. the complexity about her was interesting to watch. Jude law's character seems conflicted about the kind of love he wants in his life. Strong performance from him
Good cinematography and good lighting too. Nichols usage of music to tell the story and mood of scene has always been my favorite element of his directing style. If you love Mike Nichols go see this film you will enjoy it for sure.
July 30, 2016
There is something intoxicating and refreshingly unique about the way these four attractive people decidedly do unattractive things. I can see how some audiences might take it as a bleak, cynical, and shallow relationship drama about unlikable characters doing hurtful things to each other, but I think it's a lot deeper and more intelligent than that. I loved every minute of "Closer". This is an insightful and unpredictable romantic drama about flawed people doing hurtful things to each other, and I totally bought the story thanks to the terrific performances from its cast and Mike Nichols' assured direction. Erotic, darkly funny, and totally addictive. It's a film that I would love to revisit every once in a while. Marvelous!
½ July 27, 2016
Ever been to demolition derby? It is something similar, four people driven to distraction by their hormones. Now I'm okay with hormone driven activity but backing up over roadkill is a little much. When you're feelings have no constraint or morals and you use truth as a weapon, it is time to take a long look in the mirror.
July 13, 2016
Clive Owen gives a strong performance, but "Closer" remains a forced, insufficient drama.
½ May 1, 2016
Closer (2004) ?? 1/2
Filmization of famous stage play has ambitious but middling results. Two separate couples' lives become a mind game of deception and complication. Well made, extremely well acted, mostly by Clive Owen and Natalie Portman, who is jaw-droppingly sexy in what may be her most seductive role to date. Only problem is finding the strength to root for any of these characters. Some bravura moments with some intense sexually explicit dialogue as well.
½ April 4, 2016
Relationship drama. Great story line and memorable one liners. Three of the four characters are archetypal and wonderfully portrayed. However Julia Roberts despite being an iconic and wonderfully great actress is miscast in this story. She is just too nice to play such a masochistic role. Guess she was probably recruited as a crowd puller.
½ March 24, 2016
More of a four star movie but I love it so so much and these characters hold a special place in my heart as I treasure the play so much