Closer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Closer Reviews

September 17, 2016
It's a truthful and painful look at adult relationships, which tend to be just a little complicated.
September 11, 2016
Mike Nichols, one of the greats in this industry directed in 2004 an interesting love story with 4 people. The film is closer and it begins with the first two individuals alice played by Natalie Portman and dan played by Jude Law who meet in the streets of London. They instantly hit it off and we learn a great deal about the two including the fact that alice is a stripper. later comes in Julia Roberts character Anna whom Dan starts flirting with. Larry Gray played by Clive Owen comes into the picture later and finds his way into this 4 way ordeal. all of them confront each other some fuck each other as well but they all deal with the heartbreak, the fun and passion that comes with this thing we know as love.
This is a really well written story. It's a lot like a play especially dialogue wise. the legendary mike Nichols weaves in these 4 lovers in such a fascinating fashion and makes one wonder about love in the world we live in. its quite funny how they all meet each other. Unfortunately it's something that never happens in real life but still pretty interesting to watch.
Natalie Portman supplies a good amount of intrigue with Alice. I like how she owned up to being a stripper and regardless of that she manages to have enough confidence to hook certain men in. She doesn't let this profession define who she is. She was the best out of this foursome cast. Portman and Clive owen have scenes were their chemistry was fantastic. Their scene in the strip club is one of the best acting scenes you'll ever get to see. Clive owen himself is pretty damn good here. his character works an honest profession but delves in his guilty pleasures. Like Roberts character he is also honest about his feelings. Julia Roberts is great here! she is a weak fragile woman who lets her heart get pulled in many directions. the complexity about her was interesting to watch. Jude law's character seems conflicted about the kind of love he wants in his life. Strong performance from him
Good cinematography and good lighting too. Nichols usage of music to tell the story and mood of scene has always been my favorite element of his directing style. If you love Mike Nichols go see this film you will enjoy it for sure.
July 30, 2016
There is something intoxicating and refreshingly unique about the way these four attractive people decidedly do unattractive things. I can see how some audiences might take it as a bleak, cynical, and shallow relationship drama about unlikable characters doing hurtful things to each other, but I think it's a lot deeper and more intelligent than that. I loved every minute of "Closer". This is an insightful and unpredictable romantic drama about flawed people doing hurtful things to each other, and I totally bought the story thanks to the terrific performances from its cast and Mike Nichols' assured direction. Erotic, darkly funny, and totally addictive. It's a film that I would love to revisit every once in a while. Marvelous!
½ July 27, 2016
Ever been to demolition derby? It is something similar, four people driven to distraction by their hormones. Now I'm okay with hormone driven activity but backing up over roadkill is a little much. When you're feelings have no constraint or morals and you use truth as a weapon, it is time to take a long look in the mirror.
July 13, 2016
Clive Owen gives a strong performance, but "Closer" remains a forced, insufficient drama.
½ May 1, 2016
Closer (2004) ?? 1/2
Filmization of famous stage play has ambitious but middling results. Two separate couples' lives become a mind game of deception and complication. Well made, extremely well acted, mostly by Clive Owen and Natalie Portman, who is jaw-droppingly sexy in what may be her most seductive role to date. Only problem is finding the strength to root for any of these characters. Some bravura moments with some intense sexually explicit dialogue as well.
½ April 4, 2016
Relationship drama. Great story line and memorable one liners. Three of the four characters are archetypal and wonderfully portrayed. However Julia Roberts despite being an iconic and wonderfully great actress is miscast in this story. She is just too nice to play such a masochistic role. Guess she was probably recruited as a crowd puller.
½ March 24, 2016
More of a four star movie but I love it so so much and these characters hold a special place in my heart as I treasure the play so much
March 13, 2016
Overly schmaltzy, melodramatic and theatrical...and quite dull too.

The story of two couples, Dan and Alice (Jude Law and Natalie Portman) and Anna and Larry (Julia Roberts and Clive Owen). We see how they meet, how their relationships start...and how they end up cheating on each other.

Quite dull. It's really just a story of relationship machinations and manipulations for the sake of machinations and manipulations. There is no point, ultimately (except maybe that relationships are doomed to fail so why bother?, but I might be being a bit cynical there...).

Execution is pretty stiff and stuffy too. Very wordy, and unnaturally so. Far too much melodrama over things not warranting such drama. You can tell this was originally a play...

Quite empty too - superficial, emotionally, and overly schmaltzy

Only two things prevent this from being a total waste of time. One is the humour - there are some great one-liners scattered throughout the movie.

The second is the performance of Natalie Portman. She sparkles in her role and got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her efforts.

Not sure how Clive Owen got his Best Supporting Actor nomination though. His performance largely consists of overacting. He is also the biggest victim of the theatrical script - every line he utters sounds like a speech.
March 9, 2016
Closer explores the complexities of human relationships - as well as the need for love and its straying developments - with Mike Nichols' sensitive direction which is greatly elevated by a tender script and its stellar cast - particularly the magnetic interplay between Clive Owen and Natalie Portman.
January 29, 2016
A realistic screenplay interpreted by the right people, with soft and humaine filming techniques and a perfectly picked soundtrack to emphasize the key moments can sometimes lead to a masterpiece, and according to my views, that's the case. If you can't identify with what's going on, the leaast you can do is imagine the scenario and get captivated by the dramatic situations spiced by the much-needed vulgarity Portman managed to bring,
½ January 16, 2016
Boring, and contrived of situations not likely to ever happen; disturbing plot line and overly sexual in nature. Good performances of Clive Owen in particular, but all were excellent, with Roberts and Law in their branded characterizations.
January 16, 2016
Closer es una película con actuaciones excelentes (especialmente de Jude Law y Clive Owen), una historia que te sorprende lo entretenida que llega a ser, y tiene un guión bastante destacable.
Si bien a veces resultan algo confusos los sentimientos de los personajes, el final te saca estas confusiones que podes tener y mientras tanto, realmente no importan porque a donde sea que estos sentimientos vayan es genial ver como se mueven.
December 24, 2015
If I was Larry, I would have definitely punched Dan in the Face.
½ October 9, 2015
Apart from Natalie Portman, the cast here is normally enough to put you off before you start watching. The screenplay, however, is what makes this a terrible film. The story isn't much better. If you are one of those people who drool over the thought of Natalie Portman stripping then this film is a must watch, but I advise you to do it in mute mode.
September 22, 2015
Reminds me of cruel intentions..critique of acting on 'love at first sight'
½ August 11, 2015
Somehow wanted to love this movie more than I did; Portman does an excellent portrait of young-rebel-dishevelled-arguably-psychotic predator, while Judd tries for the yellow-belly misunderstood writer. Clive Owen is marvellous, also liked Julia Roberst as the mature-instable-be-as-it-may artist. Overall, this probably works better in the settings of a play, where the characters really can take centre-stage positions and amaze you.
August 8, 2015
Way to complicated for such a simple movie
July 27, 2015
I will always consider this a great anti-romantic comedy. I liked the idea of characters lying, cheating, and deceiving each other throughout the entire film. It's hard to imagine anyone else filling the shoes of Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Julia Roberts because each of them contributes something special that made this picture extremely memorable. I think the title fits the movie because no matter how close the characters get emotionally, they are never successful when it comes to acquiring genuine and utter connection. Each character is strong in their own way, yet weak also. That rings very true to life because we are all damaged creatures, striving to be loved regardless of how we see the world and the people that live in that world. This film provides fascinating characters that are highly suitable to in-depth character studies. It's nothing short of excellent.
July 25, 2015