Cocoon Reviews

• Jul 01, 2020

I love the 80s, I love sci fi and I don't mind slow movies.... so I shoulda enjoyed this right? Ugh... I tried! The idea is cool and the effects are great but there's no escaping it.... this film is terribly, terribly boring. This is coming from someone who can happily watch films where there is little/no action and where basically nothing happens! So long as it has a good story and interesting characters. Sadly, Cocoon has neither.

• Jun 08, 2020

Saw this on TCM. It was interesting, but a bit odd with its plot and motivations.

• Mar 24, 2020

Interesting and sweet. But not necessarily profound. Don Ameche winning the Oscar is a joke. Great that so many wonderful older actors got a chance to all work together, though.

• Feb 22, 2020

Funny yet a masterpiece.

Funny yet a masterpiece.

• Jan 24, 2020

Cocoon's fountain of youth script works as both a tale about the abuse of rejuvenation but also letting go the fear of approaching death in old age. The film by the end may push aside the acceptance of death in the face of the movie's central premise yet the message is more about doing the most with your life. No doubt Ben, his wife and friends at that retirement home have a great new adventure ahead of them. It's inspiring. With a touching script, great acting performances as well as an uplifting music score and amazing visual effects Ron Howard brings it all together for one important message. That message being we are only as young as we feel. Ironically a film about ageing has remained ageless and it'll make you feel young again watching it. Cocoon is an imaginative movie that is highly recommended.

• Oct 23, 2019

Very sweet sci-fi that is lighthearted but also deep and inspires a lot of self reflection about our time on this earth with our loved ones. The graphics are dated now but are still lovely and fairly timeless IMO because they are so tastefully done.

• Jul 23, 2019

Old people re-discovering libido in the most unlikely of places.

Old people re-discovering libido in the most unlikely of places.

• Mar 07, 2019

A fairytale for senescents

A fairytale for senescents

• Jan 27, 2019

The best inspiring sci-fi movie ever made!

The best inspiring sci-fi movie ever made!

• Dec 25, 2018

What a lovely film this is. Yes it's cheesy in a lot of it but it's fun and really moved my soul the first time I watched it. Well filmed with a great score this had all the right pieces and it was a masterpiece. Only complaint for me is that the Oscar went to the wrong actor, Wilford Bremley really shoulda won his role was more powerful and moving than Amache's was. He won it just as a way of respect for his career.