Damsels in Distress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Damsels in Distress Reviews

November 6, 2016
It's so weird! I was close to turning it off but I gave it a chance, and it pulls you into its weirdness. What's so weird, Is it the tone? Where is it going? What is this?
March 28, 2016
Unapologetically joyous
March 17, 2016
I watched half an hour and couldn't take any more. That old time style of talking really grates on me and is part of the reason I don't enjoy period films. This isn't even a period piece despite its retro look.
Quite disappointed. I like Greta Gerwig generally, and this looked like it would have potential. Nope.
½ February 24, 2016
Who gave money to make this movie ? Terrible writing, poor editing, amateurish directing. Completly pointless.
½ January 27, 2016
I give this a 91/A-.
January 13, 2016
some funny parts but mostly blah.
½ December 26, 2015
After a clever first act, the film loses focus, forgets who the protagonist is, and devolves into a series of tired and poorly-done cliches.
December 23, 2015
Although it's a comedy, the tone of this film never appeals.
December 17, 2015
Not Gerwig's best but still so funny, entertaining and stylist
½ October 5, 2015
Odd film, wordy, quirky, funny, and wise in the strange ways that Stillman films are wise. He takes things normally mocked in films and displays both the good and the bad.
½ August 2, 2015
Greta Gerwig maybe top notch but Damsels in distress feels too quirky and intelligent for it's own good.
½ April 1, 2015
This movie had a lot potential to be really good and it actually starts quite strongly,unfortunately it soon devolves into total farce. The characters aren't believable and never fleshed out in any meaningful way. I wanted to like the film but alas I can not recommend it.
February 26, 2015
Utterly insufferable. I couldn't take more than a few minutes of this. It was clear very quickly that this movie needed a rampaging monster in the worst way
February 25, 2015
A feelgood movie which passes the Bechdel Test with flying colours. Not the usual vapid college kid schlock but a warm and gentle antidote to that genre: a bit of fluff with an off-the-wall script of philosophical spoofing, quirky speculation and some rather unconventional - though possibly worth trying - ideas to cure teenage angst and the ills of the world.Grappling with the big ideas of drama, such as sex, suicide, personal worth, dishonesty and human relations, the script seems to somehow superimpose the normally perceived polar opposites of the intellectual and the airhead to offer a perfect harmony of nutty thinking and altruistic intent.
September 23, 2014
LOVE the dry humour and quirky wit this film exudes. Kinda like a Mean Girls for the indie scene.
September 14, 2014
Whit Stillman's incredible writing, great acting, just a completely enjoyable movie. Carrie MacLemore in her film debut, just great, and Greta Gerwig, once again, a fine actress. Great movie.
½ September 2, 2014
A nearly-great film that suffers from one out-of-place character and a few minor budgetary problems. One of the best of the year.
August 24, 2014
That moment when you realize that you're sincerely going to just *love* a movie: A suicide prevention center, decorated with signs like: "Oh, come on! It's not *that* bad!"
June 17, 2014