Dances With Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dances With Wolves Reviews

September 3, 2017
I remember watching this movie as a young girl and it impressed me so much it was one of the few movies I actually purchased through VHS. I was a college girl at the time and couldn't afford much but I always believed this was a MUST HAVE in my "rare" movie collection. All these years later I still believe it is a great movie. It touched my heart through the artistry, the people, the scenarios, the scenery, acting, costumes, culture everything. It's just a stunningly beautiful yet heartbreaking movie. I've never gotten tired of watching this movie especially during a cold snowy Sunday . I hope you like it as much as I do I can only imagine the time and energy it took them to make this remarkable movie. You can see the love and heart in it. Thanks for reading!
August 20, 2017
An epic film, and understandable as to why it won the Best Picture Oscar, however it was too slow at times to keep interest. A ice story, with interesting character relations and a nice showing of a friendship being built by enemies of war despite the language barrier, it just felt like it was 30-minutes too long.
June 5, 2017
Fantastic film making.
May 4, 2017
An absolute masterpiece. Beautiful cinematography of the American landscape. Hauntingly beautiful score by John Barry. My favorite movie of all time.
April 20, 2017
A cinematic masterpiece! Triumphant! Beautiful scenery! Beautiful music! Easily in my top 10 of all time.
April 19, 2017
It hurts that I began to watch this on the same day when I found out that one of my good friends passed away! Other than that tragedy, this is a timeless film, but will never forget the day it happened.
April 11, 2017
Dances With Wolves is (in my opinion) another example of "They don't make them like they used to" movies. The scale is epic, the attention to detail is astonishing, well executed and the intentions are undoubtably noble. The film can get moralizing (which is hard to avoid concerning the subject matter, and the focus is on the characters), but I think that Dances With Wolves is required viewing regardless.
½ April 6, 2017
This...beat Goodfellas. Let that sink in
½ March 28, 2017
Sweeping, Beautiful, and inspiring. And and the score is fantastic!
March 26, 2017
This Film Got The 1991 Academy Award For Best Picture.
March 7, 2017
Boring as can be. Costner sleepwalks throughout this picture.
February 28, 2017
Giving Best Picture to "Goodfellas" would have been gift wrapping cinema's top prize.
February 3, 2017
1864. Lt John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) of the Union Army distinguishes himself in battle and as a reward is offered any post he likes. He chooses to go out west and is posted to Fort Hays in Kansas. From there he is ordered to Fort Sedgewick, the remotest outpost in the region. He finds it deserted and through a series of unfortunate circumstances he is stranded at the fort with nobody knowing that he is alone there, or even there. He meets his neighbours, the local Sioux tribe, and slowly gains their respect and friendship...

Well-intentioned but badly executed. After all the westerns showing Native Americans to be nothing but savages, a movie humanizing the Native Americans was due. Dances With Wolves may be one of the first movies to have a balanced approach in that regard.

However, that's where anything positive about this movie ends. The actual execution is quite bad. Director Kevin Costner turns what should have been a profound 2-hour journey into a 3-hour ordeal. Every scene is drawn out to the maximum and many scenes are there as padding making the move slow, dull and overly long.

As director he also favours long, drawn-out close-ups of the lead actor, who happens to be himself. Seems incredibly self-indulgent, slowing the movie down further and detracting from the plot.

Moreover, the whole tone is so preachy, moralising and pretentious. Turns what should have been a natural lesson to audiences into a soap-boxing sermon.

Undeservedly won the 1991 Best Picture Oscar. How this won over Goodfellas I don't know. Might be the Academy's dislike for Martin Scorsese or the fact that they tend to prefer preachy movies.
½ January 2, 2017
Decent but it's way too long.
½ December 26, 2016
It's long, but it's very good. Very, very sad though, what the US did to their native people. And buffalo.
November 26, 2016
A calming experience and ulimately rewarding achievement in the long run. If you have the patience for its nearly four hour run-time and look past a few flaws, this is a moving, grand journey with really good performances and exquisite production value.
November 24, 2016
Dances with Wolves is one of "the" American classics that embraces the true western genre with a beautiful portrait and historical story surrounding the rich heritage of the Native American culture and an extremely balanced perspective on Manifest Destiny. Not too mention the lush and gorgeous soundtrack of John Barry and the focused vision of Kevin Costner's directing.
September 22, 2016
Outstanding. My favorite movie.
September 12, 2016
Easy 3 hour watch. This movie does it all with Kevin Costner at its best. Will leave you wanting more.
August 28, 2016
A fantastic film that I can watch over and over again. The characters are fantastic and the script is superb. This film throws all of the emotions at you and strikes hard and true with each. A must see!! It also has one of my favourite film scores of all time by the late John Barry