Dances With Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dances With Wolves Reviews

October 29, 2017
One wonderful goodhearted story with sweepingly beautiful cinematography
October 8, 2017
A sweeping epic that is technically perfect, and powerfully told.
½ October 7, 2017
Lacking that proper attention to detail and weak in several areas, I think it just missed out on being a very good film. Enjoyable, if you have the time.
½ September 28, 2017
One of the best movies ever made.
September 28, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When we need to fight our way through death when fighting is all there is in some places. When we fight for our lives, fight for our side, fight for our country, fight for our people and fight to win. When we are done fighting to liberate ourselves from it all. When we are not done fighting to get another chance. When there is no use fighting to what is about to happen to naturally give up. When there is no point fighting back to what out numbers us. When fighting is all some people do when they are savage hunters. When not everyone wishes to fight when they believe in deeper connections with the earth and live in peace. When we wish to fight the good fight but get knocked right back down. When we see what makes us savage and have a will to fight is seeing the enemy who started the fight to only accept the challenge. When who we are we know fighting is all we do. When we know when and when not to fight to do whats right. When we see peace is only achieved through communication when fighting is not always the answer. When we cant fight what we dont know to find away. When its good not fighting when it leaves for better company we been fighting to have after being alone for long time.

When we see the vary thing we think wants to fight to think differently when not everything is everything we may think they ought to be. When we see how some people are, we can fight what we love when its in us to be alike and think alike when we all want peace. When we see others dont care much about peace or life when fighting everything for survival, profit and resource is what we all crave in harsh elements when it comes to fighting the environment. When we see we need to fight to survive but in a respectable way. When we dont see what others fight for when numbers dwindle but nobody cares when fighting our own survival. When we see that fighting is the answer when what threatens us we must fight to the death to survive. When we cant help but fight our urges to give in when whats right is right. When we cant help but fight our battles when whats wrong is wrong to choose the side we belong. When fighting has no limits when we fight ourselves, our former side, and fight to do what's right to see no purpose in others fights and choose a fight that means much more deep within. When we know we are fighting on the right side, along side, and side by side by those who we fight to protect and have a future with. When our fights last longer then we see when fighting for recognition and as a people who fought through so much to survive.
September 24, 2017
Great Movie no doubt.
September 3, 2017
I remember watching this movie as a young girl and it impressed me so much it was one of the few movies I actually purchased through VHS. I was a college girl at the time and couldn't afford much but I always believed this was a MUST HAVE in my "rare" movie collection. All these years later I still believe it is a great movie. It touched my heart through the artistry, the people, the scenarios, the scenery, acting, costumes, culture everything. It's just a stunningly beautiful yet heartbreaking movie. I've never gotten tired of watching this movie especially during a cold snowy Sunday . I hope you like it as much as I do I can only imagine the time and energy it took them to make this remarkable movie. You can see the love and heart in it. Thanks for reading!
August 20, 2017
An epic film, and understandable as to why it won the Best Picture Oscar, however it was too slow at times to keep interest. A ice story, with interesting character relations and a nice showing of a friendship being built by enemies of war despite the language barrier, it just felt like it was 30-minutes too long.
June 5, 2017
Fantastic film making.
May 4, 2017
An absolute masterpiece. Beautiful cinematography of the American landscape. Hauntingly beautiful score by John Barry. My favorite movie of all time.
April 20, 2017
A cinematic masterpiece! Triumphant! Beautiful scenery! Beautiful music! Easily in my top 10 of all time.
April 19, 2017
It hurts that I began to watch this on the same day when I found out that one of my good friends passed away! Other than that tragedy, this is a timeless film, but will never forget the day it happened.
April 11, 2017
Dances With Wolves is (in my opinion) another example of "They don't make them like they used to" movies. The scale is epic, the attention to detail is astonishing, well executed and the intentions are undoubtably noble. The film can get moralizing (which is hard to avoid concerning the subject matter, and the focus is on the characters), but I think that Dances With Wolves is required viewing regardless.
½ April 6, 2017
This...beat Goodfellas. Let that sink in
½ March 28, 2017
Sweeping, Beautiful, and inspiring. And and the score is fantastic!
March 26, 2017
This Film Got The 1991 Academy Award For Best Picture.
March 7, 2017
Boring as can be. Costner sleepwalks throughout this picture.
February 28, 2017
Giving Best Picture to "Goodfellas" would have been gift wrapping cinema's top prize.
February 3, 2017
1864. Lt John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) of the Union Army distinguishes himself in battle and as a reward is offered any post he likes. He chooses to go out west and is posted to Fort Hays in Kansas. From there he is ordered to Fort Sedgewick, the remotest outpost in the region. He finds it deserted and through a series of unfortunate circumstances he is stranded at the fort with nobody knowing that he is alone there, or even there. He meets his neighbours, the local Sioux tribe, and slowly gains their respect and friendship...

Well-intentioned but badly executed. After all the westerns showing Native Americans to be nothing but savages, a movie humanizing the Native Americans was due. Dances With Wolves may be one of the first movies to have a balanced approach in that regard.

However, that's where anything positive about this movie ends. The actual execution is quite bad. Director Kevin Costner turns what should have been a profound 2-hour journey into a 3-hour ordeal. Every scene is drawn out to the maximum and many scenes are there as padding making the move slow, dull and overly long.

As director he also favours long, drawn-out close-ups of the lead actor, who happens to be himself. Seems incredibly self-indulgent, slowing the movie down further and detracting from the plot.

Moreover, the whole tone is so preachy, moralising and pretentious. Turns what should have been a natural lesson to audiences into a soap-boxing sermon.

Undeservedly won the 1991 Best Picture Oscar. How this won over Goodfellas I don't know. Might be the Academy's dislike for Martin Scorsese or the fact that they tend to prefer preachy movies.
½ January 2, 2017
Decent but it's way too long.