Deadly Friend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deadly Friend Reviews

November 9, 2017
This movie features a decent premise, and various cheesy 80's horror movies characteristics including hilarious death scenes. Those elements could have passed and this movie would just be thrown in the mediocre pile however the nonsensical ending is so baffling that it renders this film as a total misfire. 'Deadly Friend' is only memorable because of it's shear ridiculousness.
August 20, 2017
Campy low point for writer/director Wes Craven with this teenage version of Frankenstein. I do respect Craven, but when a teenage boy genius decides to resurrect his neighborhood friend, Kristy Swanson, after she's killed by her abusive father using his knowledge of robotics, the film is amazingly silly. I'm really not sure how a decapitation scene by a roughly thrown basketball can be taken seriously. The casting of Anne Ramsey in a pre-Throw Momma From the Train role makes me wonder if this was intentionally campy, but I'm still not so sure. Craven later found a perfect balance of horror, camp, and black humor with "The People Under the Stairs," but if that was the intent here, it didn't quite come off. Still, I was never bored watching this film and was certainly entertained, which is more than can be said for most horror films.
August 5, 2017
A college wiz kid brings his next door neighbour gal pal (Christy Swanson!) back to life by implanting a microchip in her brain. Bumping my rating up a bit after going many years without seeing it. Most memorable scene has to be Swanson killing nasty neighbour lady with a basketball.
August 3, 2017
Wes Craven chiller about about a boy and his robot, who happens to be a girl, is extremely goofy and devoid of any real scares, but has it's charms, albeit very limited. Not scary enough to be effective horror or funny enough for a comedy. I felt like it maybe had some potential in the first half hour to be a nice sci-fi romcom, but then things kind of just fell flat when it seemed clear that it's only goal was to be a trashy dumb "teenage Bride of Frankenstein" story. Utimately a regrettable waste of time from the late great master of horror. 2 stars.
½ May 30, 2017
Una película de robots.. ni me acordaba.
April 3, 2016
Not one of Craven's best horror creations, but it's got some strong scenes, like the one with the ball and the head...remember that ??
November 17, 2015
Small Wonder, on steroids. 1980's fun. Best (maybe only) death-by-basketball scene in movie history. Always a good time seeing the late, great Anne Ramsey on screen (The Goonies, Throw Momma from the Train).
September 25, 2015
Love this film. Sadly most of the original version was cut. I'd love to see a director's cut released.
September 15, 2015
I would've gave this thing a straight zero.... but there's non here...
August 21, 2015
So bad it's good - had forgotten about this gem until I watched Kristy Swanson in another and recalled her award winning performance in this film that gives all robots a bad name.
August 14, 2015
It was not that I bad, I feel. Would be awesome if Wes were able to remake it in the vision he really had for the film.
April 29, 2015
80s cheese boasts one of the greatest death scenes of all time!
April 5, 2015
This has to be one of Wes Craven's worst films. It is laughably bad, yet somehow occasionally interesting. Certainly nothing new being offered, and he has directed better horror films than this one.
February 28, 2015
It would be amusing for being so bad and cheesy, but it just becomes sad when you realize Wes Craven is taking this all seriously.
½ February 9, 2015
Complete garbage even for the 1980s with poor scripting and laughable acting. It's another one only good to make fun about.
½ January 15, 2015
Deadly Friend is like an 80's update of Frankenstein with some gore and typical 80's movie cheese.
½ October 20, 2014
A train wreck of a movie that still ends up being more fun than it should be.
September 26, 2014
how do you play the movie