Detachment Reviews

• May 05, 2019

There's a reason I usually don't pay attention to critics. This movie is very underrated and well executed!

• Jan 24, 2019

Detachment is often criticised as poorly executed. Yet it is important to see that the movie is actually a state of being as Henry defines the house of Usher. It does not offer a strong end, yet merely a snapshot of day-to-day life. The movie is a slap in the face which everyone should take. Detachment made me empathise every single second of every single individual in it.

• Oct 24, 2018

A really terrible follow-up from the Director who brought us the excellent 'American History X'. It's basically teenage level/Hallmark style shoe gazing for the entire duration. 'Hey man it's like so sad, that we're all sad and like kids hate school man, but what about the parents'. Basically dirge.

• Oct 16, 2018

Beautifully poignant film about the disillusionment inherent in teaching disaffected children. Though unrelentingly somber, there remains a persistent hope that is stressed in the last scene. Strong performances.

• Aug 27, 2018

'Detachment' is absorbing but messy in terms of execution. Adrien Brody gives one of his greatest performances and is supported by a handful of high-profile actors. Bryan Cranston is sorely wasted and most of the plot lines presented are not given enough depth.

• Jul 15, 2018

It is depressing and contains many triggers but at the same time seems to miss something that could have subverted the final message and/or elevate one's spirit.

• Feb 06, 2018

Strange story, but I liked it.

Strange story, but I liked it.

• Jan 25, 2018

Grim, dark, vicious and abusive.

Grim, dark, vicious and abusive.

• Jan 14, 2018

This movie is soul-shreddingly wonderful. And it's mission is perfectly clear: If you are going to raise a child, be a caring and responsible parent. I mean, this point was blatantly obvious at the parent-teacher night scene. That is the solution "Critics Consensus". The rest is an emotional introspection that one should feel every now and again.

• Nov 23, 2017

A slap in the face: the beauty and horror of a single man!

A slap in the face: the beauty and horror of a single man!