The Devil's Rain Reviews

• Mar 29, 2020

Pitiful. Good actors, trash script, stupid story, and characters who are as dumb as dirt. CV-19 has brought us to this tripe.

• Oct 26, 2018

Ernest Borgnine's performance is good. William Shatner is fun to watch. Some imagery is interesting. But this movie has next to no coherent structure or plot substance. You could literally watch it drunk whilst talking to someone and not miss anything about the story. Aside from its history, this movie is a waste.

• Apr 28, 2018

this is a very stupid movie. still, i liked the retro vibe

this is a very stupid movie. still, i liked the retro vibe

• Jun 17, 2017

A bad midnight movie! I'm on the fence about this one!

A bad midnight movie! I'm on the fence about this one!

• Nov 23, 2016

Interesting movie with an interesting concept, but doesn't hold up very well at all.

• Nov 09, 2016

Though clumsily plotted, it's surprisingly fun retro cheese and not nearly as cheap as I was lead to believe

• Aug 14, 2015

Excellent supernatural movie

Excellent supernatural movie

• May 01, 2015

(43%) A pretty bad, yet not without its charm cult based horror staring William Shatner at at time in his life when he'd appear in anything as long as his cheque didn't bounce. Ernest Borgnine plays the lead bad guy which works as well as it sounds as the guy just isn't very intimidating; although it's great to see underrated cinema legend Ida Lupino in anything. John Travolta fans need not track this down because I honestly struggled to spot him, though the fact that I was more than a little sleepy may not have helped. This has brushes of good quality, the opening credit sequence is creepy, and there's tons of scenes (maybe too much) of people melting like a fizzing sherbet dip dab in the rain, but this is too sluggish and forgettable to hit all the right buttons.

• Mar 22, 2015

This is the kind of film that could have actually been good to watch, but it's plagued by more than a few problems, and that's more than just because of its low-budget. As far as cliché Satanic horror premises go, this film has one of the more creative variants. However, whatever creative potential this film has is wasted in a film that's suffering a shortage of substance. In fact, there's one scene that doesn't even relate to anything else in the whole film. There's not a lot of context behind the story, and absolutely minimal exposition. There's not enough substance to fill a full-length feature film, and so what you get is a B-movie trying to masquerade as an art film, but it fails as both. The characters tend to come across as typical, but I can't completely put the film down for it, since Ernest Borgnine actually gives a pretty good performance here. Shatner, meanwhile, just seems like he's here for his paycheck. I find it pretty hard to believe that this was made on a low budget, because some of the set-pieces look pretty good, and the special effects are fairly decent too. However, what's any of it worth when you're looking at a horror film that isn't scary at all? It could have actually been quite a good film, but due to some evidently poor decisions, we get something that, while not completely terrible, is inadequate as both a horror film and as silly cult entertainment.

• Mar 22, 2015

Other than a few moments of intrigue, interesting set pieces, and Ernest Borgnine's performance, there's a not a damn thing to say about this movie. It's a bitter disappointment that almost entirely fails to deliver in substance. I also find it hard believe Anton LaVey worked on this movie with Robert Fuest, because the pseudo-satanism in this movie is still as pseudo as it gets in almost all movies.