The Dirty Dozen Reviews

• Dec 31, 2019

A classic war movie. Some light humour, some dark humour, great character building, and an interesting story. Long though, but once I was invested it didn't feel long. I have a feeling Suicide Squad wanted to be this movie, and failed.

• Nov 13, 2019

Great movie. Funny with good action. Casting/characters are fantastic. I personally love Charles Bronson. Specifically, when he's in the restroom and is approached by 2 soldiers-- Bronson stands silent for a couple moments then calmly says, "You're in my way," --which gets him beat up instantly. Lol only Bronson can deliver a line like that and make it hilarious and memorable. Great movie. Watch it. Many many times.

• Nov 02, 2019

GREAT MOVIE, "The Dirty Dozen"(1967), that I have seen many times on my TV(including Saturday November 02, 2019)! I recommend this MOVIE, or, rather than a TV, GO SEE IT at a MOVIES PLACE, if it is showing on a movies place! (I wrote my comments here at 2:22pm(CT) Saturday November 02, 2019.)

• Oct 06, 2019

Witty satire of war. However I found it inferior to Kelly's Heroes.

Witty satire of war. However I found it inferior to Kelly's Heroes.

• Jun 16, 2019

I like the movie even though some scenes seem far fetched like the attitude of Reisman but being a veteran I have seen guys like the convicts. I can see the military using convicts for a mission in lieu of regular soldiers. Overall I like the movie very much.

• Apr 20, 2019

While "The Dirty Dozen" is not perfect, it is a very well made and entertaining film. It is for the most part very faithful to EM Nathanson's novel. The entire main cast does very well in their respective roles and the scenes of the suicide mission in France is very well done. My only criticism of the movie is that the story is a bit formulaic. Everybody in the military sees The Dirty Dozen as a bunch of pathetic losers who will fail miserably. However over time they prove their worthiness and those who once hated them now respect them. Nothing we have not see before. Despite this flaw there is a lot to like. The late Lee Marvin is nothing short of excellent as the leader of the ragtag group of criminal soldiers. You will certainly be entertained by "The Dirty Dozen". Make a point to see it if you have not already.

• Apr 13, 2019

"But along with these other results, it gives you just about the most twisted, anti-social bunch of psychopathic deformities I have ever run into! And the worst, the most dangerous of the bunch, is Maggott." One of the greatest WWII movies of ALL TIME. I would love to see someone do a serious remake using some of today's top Hollywood male leads.

• Mar 05, 2019

One of the best World War II movies ever made, with one of the genre's niftiest gimmicks. Lee Marvin stars as an Army major given a nearly impossible assignment--destroying a chateau in the French countryside that has been taken over by the Nazis. The men he will be commanding: twelve of the biggest bad-asses at a military prison, many of whom are to be hanged for murder. Much of the movie is played for laughs--particularly as this most motley of crews tries to learn, in a kind of hastily thrown-together boot camp, how to function as a team--but the film's final act, centering on the suicide mission itself, is tautly directed (by Robert Aldrich), superbly shot, and as exciting as they come. With John Cassavetes as the most volatile of the lot, a pre-"Kojak" Telly Savalas as the craziest, and a pre-"Death Wish" Charles Bronson. Also with former football great Jim Brown (in one of his first screen roles), and a very young Donald Sutherland. Exceptionally entertaining.

• Mar 04, 2019

A fun war film that serves as great entertainment and an inspiration for many modern films.

• Feb 26, 2019

I say this first . One of most entertaining WWII films ever made . Iconic performance's all a round . Great underdog war Flick . During World War II, a rebellious U.S. Army Major is assigned a dozen convicted murderers to train and lead them into a mass assassination mission of German officers. The Dirty Dozen into one of MGM's biggest moneymakers of the 1960s--and the sixth highest-grossing film in the studio's history. Lee Marvin plays Major Reisman, assigned to coordinate a suicide mission on a French chateau held by top Nazi officers. Since no "normal" GI can be expected to volunteer for this mission, Reisman is compelled to draw his personnel from a group of military prisoners serving life sentences. This "dirty dozen" includes a sex pervert (Telly Savalas), a psycho (John Cassavetes), a retarded killer (Donald Sutherland), and the equally malevolent Charles Bronson, Trini Lopez, Jim Brown, and Clint Walker. On the dim promise of receiving pardons if they survive, the criminals undergo a brutal training program, then are marched behind enemy lines dressed as Nazi soldiers, the better to overtake the chateau and kill everyone in it--including the innocent wives and mistresses of the German officers. The cast here is brilliant and each brings something to the screen that makes this such a great film. As an action film, The Dirty Dozen ranks as a classic of the genre.