The Dirty Dozen Reviews

• Jan 17, 2021

This truly insane premise has been built upon and tweaked countless times since this film's release and after it came to mind again while I was watching Predators last night, I figured it was time I finally watched this. The general tone in this testosterone fueled display is best exhibited with a scene late in the film where Lee Marvin's character is attempting to remove a chimney like metal grating by twisting and turning it and after having no success, he begins to wildly swing uppercuts at it, striking the metal repeatedly with his bare fists. Sometimes things may not make much sense or even appear realistically possible, which is part of the fun in this genre, but anyone who is constantly saying "that could never happen" while watching movies, will be driven nuts. Inglorious Basterds, Suicide Squad, Con Air, and the aforementioned Predators are just a few of the "team" style quest movies that came to mind while watching this. Even though some of those movies aren't the greatest I always enjoy the "introduction of all the unique characters" section of these movies and would have appreciated more background at the beginning of this film as well.

• Dec 16, 2020

A must watch for every action movie fan. Classic actors on the top of their game, a clever, well paced story that still stands high decades after its original release.

• Dec 08, 2020

6 bags, and 0 fucks given that's for damn sure. Lee Marvin just didn't care about the rules, and he took this band of losers and turned them into killers, and man when they start killing ppl at the end all bets are off. It's awesome, I mean they dropped a bunch of grenades and gasoline into a tunnel, trapped German party guests in there and blew them all sky high. Damn. This movie is really violent and crude, probably one of the most hardcore movies of the 60's. This was the blueprint for a lotta hardcore action movies, it was even ripped off by Italy in the "Inglorious Bastards," which of course Tarantino ripped the title off of and spelled it "Basterds..." I think. So, why did Tarantino knock off a knock off when he coulda just ripped off the original and called it the toe sniffing twelve or some shit like that. I dunno, but Dirty Dozen sure AF is better than Inglorious Bastards or Basterds, either one. This movie and the whole cast just blatantly didn't give a fuck, and this being one of the most oldest 531 movies and one of the most offensive and least fuck giving just puts it way up there in terms of stars, bags, and fun!

• Dec 06, 2020

a delusional ending.

a delusional ending.

• Jul 18, 2020

Terribly unlikable where I couldn't wait for it to end.

Terribly unlikable where I couldn't wait for it to end.

• Jul 14, 2020

Lee Marvin, a U.S. Marine Corps Veteran, probably summed it up best by calling it crap. It's probably not very nostalgic from the point of view of Veterans because this isn't what they lived through in serving out country. But it is nostalgic for those of us who did not serve and yet saw this movie at a young age. I don't see it as a "crap" movie because it might be unhealthy. I see how it could be called "crap" because it lacked so much substance and a whole lot of realism. Yet, still I liked it enough to watch it again.

• May 05, 2020

Silly sixties over-acted war schlock with HORRIBLE sound editing and even more horribly large plot holes. Has not (by any means) withstood the test of time.

• Apr 27, 2020

This film makes sure to take its time developing each character. Making the audience care about 12 filthy criminals isn't easy but they did it. Suicide Squad should take notes from this movie. The majority of the movie is building up to the final epic scene. This scene is both really tense and silly due to it's outdated 60's movie violence.

• Mar 25, 2020

A delicious and admittedly preposterous plot but extraordinary fun. I saw this movie during its initial release in 1967 and it remains a hallmark of my childhood. My brothers cousins and I had contests to see who could most closely replicate Jim Brown's famous death dash. These days seeing these actors young and with so much of their careers ahead of them, it is heady nostalgia for a different. simpler time

• Dec 31, 2019

A classic war movie. Some light humour, some dark humour, great character building, and an interesting story. Long though, but once I was invested it didn't feel long. I have a feeling Suicide Squad wanted to be this movie, and failed.