Drift - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drift Reviews

½ August 30, 2015
Writer and co-director Morgan O'Neill based Drift on true surfer stories from the era; however, the movie mostly comes across as a grab bag of tired tropes.
½ June 13, 2015
This australian film is set in 1970s the idea of using surfing is nice but it gets stuck with cliches of brothers fighting, shrewd loan guy wanting to take the mortgaged property, struggling to set up business etc. The film could have been lot more better than what it is now. But still not that bad film.
April 30, 2015
Great Aussie movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
January 6, 2015
I loved this movie. It was very interesting, kept moving well throughout and was a nice escape from the usual hum drum of my life. I love the sea and waves, this was a movie for me.
½ October 1, 2014
Exceeded my expectations. Entertaining........but kind of mindless movie, you need those now and then.
August 21, 2014
Nothing particular the movie, the best scenes were by far the surfing ones.
½ August 14, 2014
Quite good actually, really enjoy watching them surf, some shots are fantastic.
Fair enough, average and satisfactory. 2.5 Stars mate!
½ June 12, 2014
Smooth although rather corny.
½ June 2, 2014
A great story of family experiencing the struggles of a hard life, yet choosing to make it work... Better yet, choosing their passions and dreams, allowing them to create opportunities from them and not the other way around. It's a great feel good movie. A classic surfers collection, along with Mavericks and In Gods Hands. Enjoy the ride.
May 24, 2014
I enjoyed this movie. A nice tale based on a true story.
½ May 11, 2014
Look like Australia does make some good movie I just think a lot of us are missing them. Really great movie from start to finish pretty cool to watch the surfing and there is a lot more going on but set in a great backdrop of Australia.
½ May 2, 2014
I read the poor reviews but watched it anyway - better than expected, even enjoyed it. Yes, a lot of it could have been developed a lot more, but enough there with interesting characters to be worth watching.
MANUGINO
April 25, 2014
Two Brothers. One Dream. No Rules.

Very Good Film! Drift is the latest surf film paying tribute to and giving us a glimpse into the Australian surf life when popular surf brands were just beginning. The acting is fine all round. Myles Pollard, who also co-produced the film, is solid as the responsible older brother. Xavier Samuel, in one of his best performances, brings charisma and energy to his role. Sam Worthington is excellent. He is perfect as the free-spirited hippie. He seemed to enjoy this role more than some of his recent work and it was wonderful to see him in an Aussie film again. The film does a great job of bringing the 70's back to life. You gotta love JB's colourful bus and the classic kombi vans! The surfing photography is exciting and breathtaking, and the cinematography by Geoffrey Hall is simply beautiful. The soundtrack, a mix of 70's classics and more recent tunes, really adds to the cool laid back vibe. The cast and crew looked like they had fun making this film and it shows. A snapshot into the Aussie surf life, it was a highly enjoyable and upbeat movie experience.

In the 70s two brothers battle killer waves, conservative society and ruthless bikers to kick-start the modern surf industry.
½ April 20, 2014
let's hear it for crappy hair extensions and bad writing. the surfing scenes were cool but this was no Point Break. gosh this reminded me of what great movie Point Break was.
February 25, 2014
Great Australian surf movie
February 8, 2014
This movie was great! If you go in expecting a surfing movie, you might be a little bit offset, but the main theme of 2 brothers managing their own surf shop stays true to itself.

7.5 out of 10, good surfer flick.
February 8, 2014
Some excellent surf footage!
½ January 19, 2014
Interesting and entertaining surf movie, with decent performances and some really good surf footage. It is not overly original, but it works for what it is.
January 10, 2014
The critics had it wrong on this one. Very good drama with strong acting and beautiful waves. My wife liked it even!
January 6, 2014
It's better than people give it credit for this movie is an amazing look at the 70s surf culture of g land (Australia) it is engaging with a great story soundtrack it's a great film