Dude Reviews

• Apr 20, 2019

Huge bummer. It brings up issues that it clearly can't handle. It comes out on 4/20 and is marketed as a stoner movie, but the whole movie's about grief, loss, and SEXUAL ASSAULT! Yah, major issues representing consent. One love interest (Dude 1) keeps plowing through rejections and does the whole "surprise kiss bs,' then still hooks up with the lead. At least the sex scene with Dude 1 emphasizes consent. But then, the same character is straight up raped. She's high, says she doesn't want to have sex, he (Dude 2) rapes her, she tells him to stop, and he keeps going. It was traumatic to watch, and the rapist is just kneed in the balls, like that in any way matches to what he did. All the drinking, drugs, and sex just seem like the characters are broken, miserable, and trying to escape their unhappiness. So, yeah. Not a weed movie.

• Mar 04, 2019

I think the target demographic for "Dude" will actually like it quite a bit. It's a surprisingly decent high school comedy with enough dramatic weight despite it covering themes that have definitely been done already. I think I thought this movie was a decent spin on the high school genre and I mostly felt this because I liked the main group of friends in this movie. I bought them as friends and thought they all had unique conflicts. I do feel that certain characters were miscast, as I do in many high school movies because they were too old for it to believable. There is one thing that happens in the movie that is pretty troubling and I felt it should have been either left out or handled a bit more seriously. Regardless of some flaws here and there, this movie was a solid one time watch and I felt it might be one of the more underrated Netflix originals.

• Jan 07, 2019

I expected a teen type comedy, but Dude is, instead, just a group of white girls talking like gangster rappers. I donï¿ 1/2(TM)t mind things subverting expectation if there is a point to them, but this was not the case with this film. It just seemed so boring in a try-hard kind of way.

• Dec 28, 2018

A movie that manages to catch you in his teeenager universe. Using boxxy software I watched this magical movie*

• Dec 19, 2018

Perfectly easy entertainment in a modern chick flick

Perfectly easy entertainment in a modern chick flick

• Dec 18, 2018

I am so surprised at the rating of this film it was a brilliant film. Funny, beautiful, and a great representation of the teenage years in a realistic non-bullshit stereotype way. I thought it was brilliant.

• Dec 03, 2018

you play a good game girllll . its a great movie which i find using boxxy software

• Oct 23, 2018

By god, how can characters that are so posed to be relatable be this unlikable? I just cant symphatize with Lucy Hale's character like damn gurl, you crazy. With all thats happened i seriously cant believe that theyd just gloss everything and for it to have a happy ending cause if this is was in real life bet those other 3 girls would have a groupchat without her in it just so they can bitch about her wow. Also i hated how they really tried hard on this one to feel like we can relate to this people. Like wow we so real we shit and masturbate in the school. Yeah, mundane stuff, we all know that happens no one is pretending that it doesnt so maybe less on that and more on the characted development since you are going that road not that anyone asked you to.

• Sep 30, 2018

Strengths: It's usually best to have the best stuff in a movie happen in the back half. This movie does just that. It struggles early on, but if you stick around through that, you'll find some stronger stuff later on. Lucy Hale (Lily) gives a solid performance as the lead, playing the most grounded character in the entire film. She comes across as realistic and rather grounded. Lily gets an arc that shows growth from start to finish, which is critical in a film. We need to be taken on a journey and this movie succeeds there. Kathryn Prescott (Chloe Daniels) is right next to Hale in terms of strong performances. Weaknesses: As mentioned, the first portion of the movie struggles. They try way too hard to establish these girls as overly raunchy. Nearly every line in the first half hour or so is just these girls saying sexual things or talking about drugs. It doesn't feel natural the way it did when, like, Bridesmaids, had their characters be dirty. This feels super forced and none of the jokes land. It just makes you cringe and feel awkward. Alexandra Shipp (Amelia) seems uncomfortable when delivering her lines and has none of the charisma she showed in other movies. The same goes for Awkwafina (Rebecca). They're both wasted in a big way and let down by poor writing. Also, some comedic situations went nowhere. There's a scene where a dog eats weed brownies and it just ends. Nothing comes of it, so it doesn't even get to be funny. Overall: It's tough to get through this movie. The first 45 or so minutes are just a barrage of bad jokes, awkward lines, and nothing funny. If you get to it, the back half saves this a bit and packs the emotional punch it needed to for Lily's character.

• Sep 17, 2018

While I am all about a sisterhood stoner movie, Dude just genuinely wasn't that funny and had a severe problem of telling instead of showing.