Dunkirk Reviews

• 2d ago

Nolan has done it again and created another cinematic masterpiece. I saw this as Nolan intended which was on IMAX and the cinematography is awesome particularly the scenes involving Tom Hardy's RAF fighter pilot trying to make it across the Channel. The film plot is not important since we know that Dunkirk is a story about a land, sea and air rescue operation. Characters are not fleshed out as can be but this helps with the pacing of the story. Time is also toyed with allowing the viewer having to piece together the chronologically the events but again this is done for pacing. Huge chunks of this film was filmed in IMAX and the setting plays very well in the format with wide expansive shots of boats and beaches used to great effect. I strongly recommend that cinema fans see this film in IMAX. Very immersive and powerful.

• Sep 15, 2019

Nolan at his best amaizig visuals i recommend watch these at the cinema to fully enjoy the soundtrack which is the strong element in these movie a future classic for sure

• Sep 13, 2019

It's so realistic. It doesn't feel like watching a film, but a documentary without a voice over.

• Sep 10, 2019

Remarkable filmmaking! Great cinematography, great sound, great editing, editing, and direction. The only valid criticism one can have about the film is the limited scope of the narrative – but that’s kind of the point. It’s about a very specific moment in time and it captures that moment in an artistic and thoroughly impressive manner

• Sep 09, 2019

War films are not a genre that I particularly like as while I can appreciate the fact that Apocalypse Now (1979) and The Deer Hunter (1978) are masterpieces they offer a lot more than the average war epic and that is exactly what this film is. The technical elements of the film could not be faulted as Nolan has always been excellent at bringing together professionals capable of bringing stunning visuals to the screen together but story wise the film is less engaging and while I appreciate the film's relatively short running time it's hard not to feel that it's rather slight. For fans of The Longest Day (1962) and Battleground (1949) this will satisfy their hunger for a patriotic, straightforward war film with violence and thrills but for people who want more character development and dialogue in their entertainment this can feel rather dull. In 1940, the Allies have had to retreat to Dunkirk and their soldiers are surrounded by the Nazis who threaten to kill them all. Coming to save the soldiers are civilians who hope to carry the soldiers off the beach on their private boats that would usually be employed to take part in leisure activities. The soldiers are embodied in the form of various fictional characters as one faces PTSD and takes a violent action with dire consequences while another desperately tries to survive with the aid of another mysterious soldier who may or may not be French. Well meaning civilians carrying soldiers back to Britain are also embodied as we see two innocent young men come of age through their experiences on the boat while the strong, sensible father of one of them reveals his sad backstory. Other subplots concern a pilot in the sky quickly running out of fuel and a noble Commander making difficult decisions under pressure. The aerial sequences in the film are impressive as we feel as though we are seeing everything from the perspective of the pilot, only known as Farrier, in addition to the battles being understandable and easy to follow while still exciting. This is true for most of the film as we do feel suspense and tension when two young soldiers are forced to hide from their superiors in an attempt to jump on a boat earlier than other polite British soldiers queuing up on the beach. For me this wasn't enough to carry the film as while it is all well and good to be dazzled by special effects I want there to be some substance or commentary beneath the films I am watching. This film tries to delve into making a real statement on modern times with vague Brexit analogies as the British soldiers bar French soldiers from entering their boats even as a French soldier helps them to survive. Unfortunately they lay this on so thick that it is hard to find any room to interpret the message as it is shoved down your throat. One of the most painful lines in the film is also produced by this theme as a character played by Harry Styles, of all boy band members turned actors, tells his fellow soldiers that a suspect fellow onboard their ship probably has "An accent thicker than sauerkraut sauce." It is difficult to swallow lines this clunky especially when they come out of the mouth of the least convincing actor in the film. This is no Paths of Glory (1957) for all it's ambition of being that film for this generation but at least it doesn't have the insidious pro-violence message of Saving Private Ryan (1998). I have to admit that I probably won't remember this film very well as it blends in with Gallipoli (1981) and Hacksaw Ridge (2016) as a war film that is good but not great. I do have to admire the craft of Nolan even as I am not quite as enamored of his film as some are as his Best Director nomination is admittedly deserved and he does keep a handle on what could have been an unruly and over the top production. This wasn't one of my top ten films of 2017 but for some it will have been and I can still admire it's execution without considering it a great piece of art.

• Sep 09, 2019

One of the best cinematic experiences I have ever had. There was no true main character of this film because the spectacle of the situation acted to drive the story. This might turn people away, but I had no problem with it. Nolan knows how to make the story it's own character and how to make it intriguing for the audience in turn. Even though the substance felt a little lacking, I am definitely glad I went to go see this.

• Sep 08, 2019

its the most beautiful movie I've ever seen

its the most beautiful movie I've ever seen

• Sep 06, 2019

Dunk irk is a film by chris he did a good job

Dunk irk is a film by chris he did a good job

• Sep 06, 2019

Dunkirk needs to be seen on multiple viewings to understand and is pretty confusing but it still is a decent war film and is worth a watch.

• Sep 03, 2019