Enemy of the State Reviews

• Apr 03, 2021

O melhor filme que já assisti. Recomendo à todos.

O melhor filme que já assisti. Recomendo à todos.

• Mar 24, 2021

This movie suffered from the flaw of the passive protagonist. Surprised the professional reviewers missed this. They don't seem to read books on screenplay writing. If the protagonist is always running away from the bad guys and takes no pre emptive actions, the drama suffers. It's just a movie of guys running away all the time. At the end he finally made a planned move but it was not enough to salvage the film. And the scene where the bad guys pour pills on the car floorboard to leave 'evidence' then push the car into the water-apparently Hollywood does not realize that water dissolves pills....

• Mar 08, 2021

A well written thriller with an interesting plot. Great characters and lots of action. Definitely a movie worth watching.

• Jan 25, 2021

This was a wonderfully suspenseful movie. Will Smith and the rest of the cast did not disappoint.

• Jan 25, 2021

This action thriller was very good. Will Smith, Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, and the rest of the cast did an excellent job in this movie. The plot to the movie was suspenseful, action-packed, and dramatic. It's about running for your life and taking back what is rightfully yours. If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out sometime. It's a definite must see.

• Dec 10, 2020

A pretty good, underrated movie. It gets forgotten strictly because it's not a franchise, and also because it's not one of Will Smith's soap box movies or trash sequels.

• Oct 25, 2020

Classic will smith movie great watch

Classic will smith movie great watch

• Oct 11, 2020

A Pre-Snowden movie about the exact things Snowden warned us about.

A Pre-Snowden movie about the exact things Snowden warned us about.

• Sep 09, 2020

The pace of this movie is awesome, its running time flies by unnoticed, acting scenes are thrilling and entertaining, and on top of that it has a message to tell, even if it's not that original.

• Aug 28, 2020

Remember the good old days when we used to fear the government and corporations monitoring every aspect of our lives? You know, back before we all started buying devices specifically designed to watch us, track us, and listen in on all our conversations? Enemy of the State almost feels quaint when I watch it now and see those archaic cameras and tracking devices that have been completely replaced by the cell phone almost all of us carry around everywhere we go. That being said, I’m a fan of most man-on-the-run stories, and Tony Scott is a director who knows exactly how to film one. The pace of this film is relentless, as it seems that there are only brief moments when the protagonists are safe, and then the government is on their trail again. Tony Scott films the chase scenes brilliantly so you can’t even pause to catch a breath, because there is constant movement. And yet there’s a fluidity to the movement as well, so it doesn’t completely lose you in a bunch of awkward shaky-cam. Will Smith is a great lead for Enemy of the State. He’s a compelling actor, and can play the utter confusion at the start and transition into the cunning necessary for the later scenes. It’s also hard to complain about Gene Hackman. He’s a great actor, particularly when he is thrown a softball like playing a curmudgeon who’s stuck in his ways but also has a lot of smarts. I only wish he was in more of the film, since it feels like he doesn’t show up until halfway through. I think some of the tech crew who work for Jon Voight in the film feel a little odd for that type of role. These guys all strike me as computer nerds, so I don’t know why they have decided to get on board with destroying people’s lives and murder. The antagonist side of this film made it feel like Jon Voight was a Bond villain and all his minions just did his bidding as they were pure evil (because the movie needed them to be.) But, frankly, there was no time for a subplot about Jack Black questioning his orders. I get caught up in this kind of story quite easily, and I think Enemy of the State tells it well. We see the main characters’ motivations, and we can easily discern who is good and who is bad. Then there are all the intricate plans that both sides make throughout the movie. I love watching them set things up and then hope they can pull it off, and occasionally needing to think on their toes when things go wrong. The big climactic scene of the film is a great example of this, as we get to watch a plan slowly unfolding in Will Smith’s mind, and then wait on pins and needles to see if it will work. I’ll admit there are some weird moments in the setup of the film that feel like odd plot conveniences, and I could only laugh at some of the ridiculous things they seemed to be able to do with 1990s security camera footage. But aside from the minor things that I can nitpick, Enemy of the State is a solid film. While I prefer some other Tony Scott movies, this one is well worth watching.