Fallen Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fallen Angels Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
Sometimes Wong Kar-Wai hits and sometimes he misses. For someone new to his work this could be fresh and exciting, but the mood just wasn't engaging enough to make up for the lack of story.
July 26, 2016
A must see author, low-budget film. One can feel the melancholy at every corner.
December 22, 2015
Although it is still very enjoyable, it is no more than a secondary product (slightly worse) of "Chungking Express" (1994). Personally, Leon Lai characater's faint smile is not attractive. His relationship with Michelle Reis character is quite shallow, too. Karen Mok, on the other hand, gives a great performance in a whore-like role (very bold and free performance). Kaneshiro plays an opposite role to the one in "Chungking Express," but personally he looks better in this role. Almost all scenes are filmed at night, and probably the optimistic mood of the film fits more to daytime.
½ December 8, 2015
I loved Chungking Express so much that I needed more, so I figured why not watch the sequel, Fallen Angels?

Disappointment followed. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen. It was just so forgettable and uninteresting. It has all the style that Chungking Express had without any of the charm. The characters are uninteresting and unlikeable. Chungking Express had memorable, relatable characters stuck in bizarre situations. Fallen Angels is like seeing weirdos acting weird in the nightlife of the city. It is kind of like Martin Scorsese's After Hours in that aspect, which might make it appealing to fans of that movie, but I didn't care much for that movie or Fallen Angels.
August 9, 2015
Nobody captures both the restlessness and energy of the metropolis the way Wong Kong-Wai does. On the flipside, noone brings you such a vivid sense of loneliness and isolation of the city the way he does either. The sad thing about devouring so many films per year the way I do is that goal post on what moves you keeps getting pushed further and further back. Color me jaded, but the ending to Fallen Angels reminds everytime of why I love movies.
½ July 25, 2015
This vibrant and audacious ride of a movie remains as alive today as it did some 20 years ago.
July 20, 2015
Fallen Angels pales in comparison to the two Wong Kar Wai masterpieces, Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love, but there's still a lot to appreciate. Delving into the seedy underground nightlife of Hong Kong, Fallen Angels feels like a fever dream of blues, greens, and reds, strange characters, sexual obsession, and gunplay, punctuated with moments of rather silly humor. Wong Kar Wai as always is a master of mood and color, without a single shot taking place during the daytime and using voiceover narration to great effect. Unfortunately, Takeshi Kaneshiro as the lovable and boyish mute He Zhiwu is the only character that gets truly fleshed out during the course of the film, leaving the others to wander from scene to scene without connecting with much of anyone or anything (until the last few minutes but I won't spoil that). It's the same issue I have with 2046, the sort-of sequel to In the Mood for Love, in that it's deliciously gorgeous to look at in every shot, but I feel nothing for most of the characters or what's happening to them. Fallen Angels is very stylish, sexy, and thick with atmosphere, but it's ultimately too disjointed and distant for me to feel much.
½ July 20, 2015
Beautifully shot story about helpless loners in blinding urban lights. A little bit hard to chew but worth its memorable, bittersweet ending.
½ May 31, 2015
if I could, I would leave it as a zero rating. but because you have to have some sort of rating... the lowest possible is 1/2 a star but reality it's zero stars
January 30, 2015
Ya, very enjoyable yet a tiny bit long? I adored the He character, so lovable. Love the wit in this film and camera angles, so cool
January 17, 2015
I could watch this over and over again. True art.
December 29, 2014
Ah! Loved this movie. A strange little movie about urban loneliness and the existential crisis of living so close together but feeling so alone. The film-making is unafraid.
November 30, 2014
Exactly what the companion piece to Chungking Express should be. More of the same quirky charm from Chungking, the story here is a little more intriguing. Beautifully shot, characterizes Hong Kong in the 90s. And no wonder everyone calls Michelle Reis one of the most beautiful women to come out of HK, she looked great here.
October 4, 2014
Watching this movie was like listening to a tune you find intriguing or luring/hypnotic/erotic. The story itself isn't much, the dialogue isn't really great and sometimes "Fallen Angels" might become exhausting, but the film has enough energy and is effective enough to make up for what is lacking. And, of course, like with any other Wong Kar-Way movie, "Fallen Angels" is visually arresting.

I can;t recommend this to the casual movie goer, but the more dedicated ones might enjoy this(if they haven't already seen it). Also, it might work on those who are into romance, but not into the sappy and copy/pasted mainsteam romantic movies.
½ September 10, 2014
Yes, this movie was really well done.. As expected from Wong Kar-Wai.
March 19, 2014
"Suddenly I discover that I'm turning blonde."

Wong Chi-Ming is an assassin for hire that is starting to change. He has an eccentric mute friend that ate too much pineapple while in depression. He also has a girl on the side he is smashing but can't find love with her and he has a father who sleeps too much and doesn't accomplish much of anything. If Wong's going to change himself, he needs to figure out who he is first.

"At this moment, I'm feeling such lovely warmth.

Wong Kar Wai, director of In the Mood for Love, 2046, My Blueberry Nights, Ashes of Time, Happy Together, Chungking Express, and As Tears Go By, delivers Fallen Angels. The storyline for this picture is anything but straightforward and contains breathtaking characters and situations. The script is also very well written and the acting is magnificent. The cast includes Leon Lai, Charlie Yeung, Karen Mok, and Takeshi Kaneshiro.

"I wasn't used to smelling it on another woman."

I try to watch all Wong Kar Wai's films and have seen 4 or 5 already. This is one of my favorites and was very unique from any of his previous pictures I have seen. I loved the conviction and determination on display by the main character. The side characters and subplots were also extremely well done, unique, and tasteful. Overall, this is a must see film worth adding to your DVD collection.

"You may forget my face, but you won't forget my bite."

Grade: A
February 16, 2014
Alter ego of "Chungking Express" (1994) and derived from an idea Wong Kar-wai had for that film's third act before being discarded and later taking on a life of its own. Where its predecessor congregated with two love-lorn police officers at different parts of the day "Fallen Angels" takes place exclusively during the early morning hours in some of the same referential haunts (Chungking Mansions, Midnight Express) with young disenchanted criminals (a lonely hit man, his heartbroken fetish-clad gun mole, a mute ex-con who breaks into businesses and runs them while the owners are asleep forcing pedestrians into becoming patrons).

Akin to nearly every film Wong had made up until this point "Fallen Angels" isn't for everyone; in fact, it really was once for Wong's audience only as the controversial filmmaker tried the patience of even his most ardent fans experimenting with coarsen art house method (quick edits, glaring close-ups, multiple lenses, filters, photography and inner monologues that somehow felt even more self-indulgent than before).

Time, however, has been kind to Wong's filmography -- even to "Fallen Angels" (now considered  one of his better films where before it had split his audience upon release) and that's largely due to the film's power to grow on you over repeat viewings. Where some of the filmmakers' technique initially felt off-putting -- and some of it still is -- has since aged into a hip little piece of pop art. Like nearly everyone in this cast of weirdos many of whom initially felt obnoxious and still somewhat are (Takeshi Kaneshiro as the film's bizarrely vexatious entrepreneur takes a long while to adjust to) you begin to realize over the film's 100 minute run-time -- if not years down the road -- these people despite their various oddities all just want to be loved.

It's a theme that may take longer to resonate with some audiences than others.
January 28, 2014
Amazing direction by Wong Kar-wai and a film flooding to the brim with emotional pull and humanity, Fallen Angels is another great film in his repertoire. Shot with many effects and filming styles, the film literally portrays a moving city and those in it in such a surreal and exciting way. With the many references to Wong Kar-wai's Chungking Express(1994), this makes a wonderful companion piece to that particular film but thoroughly remains its own distinctively original story arc and characters. If you haven't checked out Wong Kar-wai yet or any of his films, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express (1994), In the Mood for Love (2000), or Happy Together(1997) are all released on Blu-ray, and you should rent or watch one to get a taste of his visual style. The first three have excellent Criterion Collection releases and Kino gives a solid job with Happy Together so if you like one you will likely find the others very intriguing and unique works as well!
December 22, 2013
The plot might be scattered and not well developed, but it has enough visuals and a unique cinematography to overcome its dullness and uninteresting storyline. This could have been so much better...