Fallen Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fallen Angels Reviews

½ December 17, 2017
Following the lives of a number of characters who cross paths every now and again, 'Fallen Angels' is a meditation on loneliness and the inability to emotionally connect despite the desire to do so. Filmed in Wong Kar-Wai's distinctive and interesting style, with great camera-work and cinematography, there is certainly no shortage of visual panache. Nevertheless, the characters aren't as engaging (although they're a lot crazier) as they are in many of Wong's other works, and the pacing is slow, but the biggest problem for me was the distinct lack of poignant and defining moments. Mood and atmosphere, of which there is plenty, can only carry things so far, after all. In the end, it feels like a somewhat empty and depressing experience that doesn't seem to have much of a point. Then again, maybe to some degree, that was the point.
April 27, 2017
My favorite movie. Eye candy for your soul. Everything about it is fantastic: the music, the cinematography, the story. I will never stop loving this beautiful piece of work.
December 19, 2016
I liked chungking express more but this one is darker and just as engaging.
November 2, 2016
A strange urban hallucination.
½ October 3, 2016
Sometimes Wong Kar-Wai hits and sometimes he misses. For someone new to his work this could be fresh and exciting, but the mood just wasn't engaging enough to make up for the lack of story.
July 26, 2016
A must see author, low-budget film. One can feel the melancholy at every corner.
December 22, 2015
Although it is still very enjoyable, it is no more than a secondary product (slightly worse) of "Chungking Express" (1994). Personally, Leon Lai characater's faint smile is not attractive. His relationship with Michelle Reis character is quite shallow, too. Karen Mok, on the other hand, gives a great performance in a whore-like role (very bold and free performance). Kaneshiro plays an opposite role to the one in "Chungking Express," but personally he looks better in this role. Almost all scenes are filmed at night, and probably the optimistic mood of the film fits more to daytime.
½ December 8, 2015
I loved Chungking Express so much that I needed more, so I figured why not watch the sequel, Fallen Angels?

Disappointment followed. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen. It was just so forgettable and uninteresting. It has all the style that Chungking Express had without any of the charm. The characters are uninteresting and unlikeable. Chungking Express had memorable, relatable characters stuck in bizarre situations. Fallen Angels is like seeing weirdos acting weird in the nightlife of the city. It is kind of like Martin Scorsese's After Hours in that aspect, which might make it appealing to fans of that movie, but I didn't care much for that movie or Fallen Angels.
August 9, 2015
Nobody captures both the restlessness and energy of the metropolis the way Wong Kong-Wai does. On the flipside, noone brings you such a vivid sense of loneliness and isolation of the city the way he does either. The sad thing about devouring so many films per year the way I do is that goal post on what moves you keeps getting pushed further and further back. Color me jaded, but the ending to Fallen Angels reminds everytime of why I love movies.
½ July 25, 2015
This vibrant and audacious ride of a movie remains as alive today as it did some 20 years ago.
July 20, 2015
Fallen Angels pales in comparison to the two Wong Kar Wai masterpieces, Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love, but there's still a lot to appreciate. Delving into the seedy underground nightlife of Hong Kong, Fallen Angels feels like a fever dream of blues, greens, and reds, strange characters, sexual obsession, and gunplay, punctuated with moments of rather silly humor. Wong Kar Wai as always is a master of mood and color, without a single shot taking place during the daytime and using voiceover narration to great effect. Unfortunately, Takeshi Kaneshiro as the lovable and boyish mute He Zhiwu is the only character that gets truly fleshed out during the course of the film, leaving the others to wander from scene to scene without connecting with much of anyone or anything (until the last few minutes but I won't spoil that). It's the same issue I have with 2046, the sort-of sequel to In the Mood for Love, in that it's deliciously gorgeous to look at in every shot, but I feel nothing for most of the characters or what's happening to them. Fallen Angels is very stylish, sexy, and thick with atmosphere, but it's ultimately too disjointed and distant for me to feel much.
½ July 20, 2015
Beautifully shot story about helpless loners in blinding urban lights. A little bit hard to chew but worth its memorable, bittersweet ending.
½ May 31, 2015
if I could, I would leave it as a zero rating. but because you have to have some sort of rating... the lowest possible is 1/2 a star but reality it's zero stars
January 30, 2015
Ya, very enjoyable yet a tiny bit long? I adored the He character, so lovable. Love the wit in this film and camera angles, so cool
January 17, 2015
I could watch this over and over again. True art.
December 29, 2014
Ah! Loved this movie. A strange little movie about urban loneliness and the existential crisis of living so close together but feeling so alone. The film-making is unafraid.
November 30, 2014
Exactly what the companion piece to Chungking Express should be. More of the same quirky charm from Chungking, the story here is a little more intriguing. Beautifully shot, characterizes Hong Kong in the 90s. And no wonder everyone calls Michelle Reis one of the most beautiful women to come out of HK, she looked great here.
October 4, 2014
Watching this movie was like listening to a tune you find intriguing or luring/hypnotic/erotic. The story itself isn't much, the dialogue isn't really great and sometimes "Fallen Angels" might become exhausting, but the film has enough energy and is effective enough to make up for what is lacking. And, of course, like with any other Wong Kar-Way movie, "Fallen Angels" is visually arresting.

I can;t recommend this to the casual movie goer, but the more dedicated ones might enjoy this(if they haven't already seen it). Also, it might work on those who are into romance, but not into the sappy and copy/pasted mainsteam romantic movies.
½ September 10, 2014
Yes, this movie was really well done.. As expected from Wong Kar-Wai.