Field of Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Field of Dreams Reviews

½ January 14, 2018
Wow, this will probably be my best movie experience of 2018.
December 8, 2017
This movie isn't one of my favorites, but it has a bit of charm to it. It is complete and utter fantasy, but it tells its story with some heart. Kevin Costner does a decent job, but the movie itself never truly reaches greatness.
November 24, 2017
I liked it. I saw it on Netflix and it moved me and I can kinda relate to it.
November 12, 2017
Field of Dreams is directed and written by Phil Alden Robinson, and it stars Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones, and Ray Liotta in a fantasy drama sports film about a farmer that had a vision of a voice telling him to build something, which Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) thinks he should build a baseball field, and when he did so, baseball players that passed out years ago have came back, which lead Ray to believe that he could do more of this vision that he?s been hearing. I first heard about it in IGN?s best movie moments ever, and this was one of them as they showed what the ending was, and it sticker in my mind a bit, while not knowing what the movie is about. So I recorded this movie and I haven?t watched it for years until I realize that I need to start deleting movies on my list in DirecTV. One of the films that was on the bottom list, was this, which I finally got to watch this, and now realize how much of a fantastic film this turned out to be. Kevin Costner is really good as a drama lead actor that seems very convincing of why he listened to the voice. Amy Madigan is also really good, and I was surprised to see Gaby Hoffmann at her youngest in this movie, which she was actually not bad also. The story of this is really interesting and is very different from typical baseball films that I?ve seen. The characters are well established, and even for those who aren?t baseball fans, would get at least something out of the baseball players who weren?t alive at that time. It has some moments that are so good that can?t be played again in other films as this is done perfectly. Field of Dreams is a fantastic film that is just as good as Moneyball, which is my favorite sports film.
October 18, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. It never fails to bring me to tears, no matter how many times I watch it.
½ October 11, 2017
Field of dreams is an excellent movie about baseball starring Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta and others! The story is based off of the book Shoeless Joe written by W.P Kinsella and is very well written. The movie contains great music, has very positive role models and is an amazing family togetherness movie to watch!
September 25, 2017
Field of Dreams, directed by Phil Alden Robinson, makes efficient use of a unique story with refreshing pacing and characters. Still, there are elements of the film that feel unfinished or perhaps rushed.
The story takes place in Iowa and centers around a man named Ray who begins to hear a mysterious voice shortly after moving into a farm with his wife, Annie, and daughter, Karin. Whenever the voice gives him a brief message, he interprets it and figures out what he must do. He builds a baseball field, tracks down a fictional author, Terence Mann, and finds (presumably the ghost of) Archibald ?Moonlight? Graham. Along the way, Ray meets several deceased baseball players that only he himself, his family, Terence Mann, and eventually his brother-in-law are able to see.
What is original about this movie, and in my opinion even more notable than the established creativity of the story itself, is the writing. Many scenes build up to what-could-be cliché moments, but exceed my expectations. In most movies there tends to be an overlong period of time where a character denies what they believe when he or she interacts with something potentially paranormal. Here, less than 5 minutes are spent on this denial phase. The pacing is so fast. There are no scenes that linger, keeping the film and story highly engaging. What?s even more refreshing is how supportive his wife is. Again, in most movies like this, where there is a single, distinctive protagonist, everyone around them tells them they?re crazy and tries to stop them. Although this still exists in the movie with the townspeople and Annie?s family, the instant support from Annie herself is quite remarkable.
The charms of the characters and story aren?t enough, however, to override a few problems. I found the narration of the film completely unnecessary. Not only was it used ineffectively, but was inconsistent. The narration was never continued after the first scene; I found it to be very distracting. Secondly, it was a little odd how calm and unsurprised Ray and his family were about the appearance of all the dead baseball players. Although it?s certainly refreshing, it seemed unbelievable and a little rushed. Thirdly, and most importantly, the pacing of the film deceived me to believe that there would be more to the story than what was delivered. While, I?m okay with not having answers to all the questions the film put out, the film could have played around more with the mysterious voice and what was beyond the baseball field. I appreciate its subtlety, however, I believe the film could have expanded its ideas while maintaining that subtlety.
All in all, my fews problems with story do not heavily detract from my overall consensus. Field of Dreams, is a well directed, inventive, and consistently entertaining movie that most viewers will enjoy.
September 15, 2017
i dislike this sort of film
½ August 22, 2017
One of those rare movies that spins a magical tale and makes it look easy. Just a fantastic story about getting a chance to have a do-over with someone you love.
August 6, 2017
One of the best sports movies of all time!!!
½ July 15, 2017
Kinda nice baseball fantasy piece - original - although there are some basic problems from a structural viewpoint. Some contrived scenes that really stick out. Very watchable though - I'll go 7 out of 10
July 14, 2017
The binding of Isaac, but this time, set in Iowa. A movie of pure magic and metaphor, weaving themes of unrequited dreams, frustrated passions, the enduring character of America, gambles of faith, fatherhood, and baseball.
June 10, 2017
For our father's (and Father's Day), and their sons and daughters. Enjoy!
½ May 10, 2017
This son and father story perfectly mixes reality and fantasy into an everlasting story, just like Being There and Moonstruck. My only issue is that the beginning moves too fast, and gives too much at once.

Still, this is a fantasy masterpiece that every child needs to see like The Wizard Of Oz.
½ April 4, 2017
Studies have shown that nearly 98% of all males cry at the final scene. I was not exempt. Love this movie. A wonderfully original idea. The only draw-back is Costner's annoyingly screechy & hard-headed wife. The only place the film is found wanting is in her repelent demeanor. Otherwise, I love it. A beautiful idea. And a touching ending.
March 31, 2017
loved this movie, it's a annual tradition watching this before the new season starts.
March 14, 2017
A baseball movie of fantasy and you can see this movie and batter up!!!
½ March 1, 2017
Rating: 86%
With a moving script and emotional acting, Field of Dreams is an iconic and overall thought-provoking take on one of America's favorite sports.
February 21, 2017
An outright bloody gem.
February 2, 2017
Maybe it my age but I find this to be corny & a little overzealous on the religion front.