Field of Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Field of Dreams Reviews

July 24, 2016
Fuck, man, this movie was amazing. Holy shit
½ July 18, 2016
A nice sentimental homage to another time.
July 16, 2016
The ultimate Kevin Costner film!
July 6, 2016
Field of Dreams means well, but its weak performances and childish grip may please only the most ardent baseball enthusiasts.
½ July 4, 2016
70%
Solid movie for the time. Its a bit dated and left me wanting more (which in a stand alone isn't great).

Acting 7
Rewatch 5
In Theaters 5
Sequel/Complete 7
June 19, 2016
This is pure, movie magic. Never fails to send a chill down your spine and a tear to your eye. Splendid acting and intriguing story are what really propel this movie.
June 17, 2016
Classic father & son film.
½ May 26, 2016
A fun mystical movie with an interesting story. Don't think of logic and beliefs just enjoy the movie for what it is. Flows well die to some good direction and good performances.
½ May 23, 2016
This movie is magical, uplifting and will make grown men cry. You don't have to know or care about baseball. This movie sucks you in with it's strange and fantastical plot and just when you think, 'I'm not going to cry', Kev goes and a says his last line of the movie and then the flood gates open.
April 13, 2016
baseball movies to me are like christmas movies....they only come out in baseball season....great road movie....could watch over and over
April 4, 2016
Being 13 at the time of release and a baseball fanatic, this was by far the greatest movie of my childhood.
March 16, 2016
Gets away with quite a few conventional issues; good movie anyway.
February 2, 2016
"If you build it, he will come," has to be one of the most familiar and misquoted lines from a film from the 1980s. It stems from this charming film where Kevin Costner plays a baseball obsessed farmer who hears a mystery voice, telling him to build a baseball pitch on his land so that various deceased sporting legends can come back from the dead to play games that were denied them when they were alive. An unlikely premise maybe but it works. It is a story full of quiet appeal and lovely characters. Great performances by Costner, Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones and a swan song from Burt Lancaster mean that the sentimentality is pitched just right such that even the non-sporting types (such as myself) who care nothing about baseball will find a lot to enjoy.
January 25, 2016
Sometimes you just get a movie that get so enveloped in that you think you are one of the characters. What a movie!
January 8, 2016
A personal favorite. Field of Dreams is a thoughtful, compassionate movie containing a large repertoire of pitches laced with the aches of life.

*On a different note: Richard Corliss, from TIME, presented a poorly thought out analysis of the film. He criticizes reactions of men to the effects of athletics on the psyche. His reaction towards Field of Dreams is not an uncommon one. His reasoning is heavily invested in an insensitive attitude towards the movie's framework, but my criticism of Corliss' review is not over the way the movie made him feel. His necessity to generate justification wasn't intellectual.
½ December 22, 2015
73%
Saw this on 10/4/15
It's a warm, whimsical, feel good film with a good performance from Kevin Costner. But this is too much of an American film that outsiders can't properly relate or call good.
December 21, 2015
Performs well within the confines of baseball romance.
December 3, 2015
I really don't know what possessed me to randomly review this movie in the year 2015. I guess it is a sentimental attachment to one of my favorite childhood movies. One of those VHS tapes that my family owned that I played over and over again until I knew every single line. Growing up playing sports, specifically baseball was life. Going to Phillies games with my father at the old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia was just something you could look forward to every summer as a kid. Whether this is some sort of artistic masterpiece, I am not saying it is. Field of Dreams is just a really feel good movie. Something you can enjoy with your family, even if you are not a sports fan. Something you can enjoy with your son as he's growing up and getting into sports. Costner has made a bunch of sports movies, but in my opinion this will always be his best. There is nothing outstanding about this movie, except the concept of it. A man who just follows a gut feeling and does something despite all his critics and all the ramifications that may come from it and follows what he feel he must do. Not just for his family, not just for the game of baseball, but for himself as well.
November 30, 2015
November 25, 2015
A great family film with nice sentimental value.