Four Lions Reviews
Love it or hate it, surely it can be appreciated as a fairly unique piece of work. Director, Chris Morris, apparently described the film as a "farce", which exposes the "Dad's Army side to terrorism". If those are his aims, I think he achieves them. Keep an eye out for the brilliant "Sherlock's", Benedict Cummberbatch - don't blink!
The story is this movie is just purely a satire and is one of the best modern satires in recent memory. The ending is just plain flawless and I couldn't fault it in any way shape or form. It's a story that wouldn't win Oscars or anything but it definitely serves its purpose and is especially helpful in the way the world is right now.
Riz Ahmed was good as Omar as was Karvan Novak as Waj. Nigel Lindsey was amazing as Barry and is just such a brilliant character. Adeel Akhtar was alright as Faisal. Arsher Ali was fine as Hassan. Every character in this movie was distinct and memorable and you will certainly not forget any of them. Barry is a personal favourite but every single character still has purpose and is fun in their own unique way.
Technically, this movie is mostly poor. The cinematography is awful but that may have been a stylistic choice. If that is the case, then fair enough but until then it's pretty poorly done. The effects were pretty poor and the set design was very generic but the costume design is absolutely flawless.
This movie told a, simply put, genius satire and may be the best in the past decade or so. It was clever, it was witty and it was perfect for the time it was written. It was very funny and I would say around 60% of the jokes hit which is definitely a positive. The remaining 40%, however, felt very forced and cringey.
In conclusion, this movie is very enjoyable if you enjoy dark humour and can take it. If you can't, then you will definitely hate this movie.
Would Recommend if you can take Offensive humour
I must admit I was taken in by the trailer hook, line and sinker.
I was so bored on occasions I only found amusement playing I spy with the Sheffield filming locations.
Directed by Chris Morris, the not funny satirist who has caused controversy with some of his television shows in the UK including Brass Eye.
I am only surprised the film appears to have been rated so highly by some film critics snd viewers. I certainly won't watch ever again.
The movie tales the story of four men who have a secret plan of becoming bombers in the UK. Needless to say, it definitely falls squarely in the black comedy folder and one that should not be missed, as it is very entertaining.
Remember, true comedy skills means being able to make fun of the mundane, boring and the serious, and the writing here does that in spades.
Definitely something something unique and out there on left field... And you know what? Sometimes going there can be very educational, not to mention, fascinating.