Four Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Lions Reviews

½ May 23, 2017
This movie is enjoyable if you can take offence and actively enjoy dark humour. This movie is very offensive but if you can take that you will have a great time. All the characters are funny and memorable and its a brilliant modern satire that is perfect in the current climate of today.

The story is this movie is just purely a satire and is one of the best modern satires in recent memory. The ending is just plain flawless and I couldn't fault it in any way shape or form. It's a story that wouldn't win Oscars or anything but it definitely serves its purpose and is especially helpful in the way the world is right now.

Riz Ahmed was good as Omar as was Karvan Novak as Waj. Nigel Lindsey was amazing as Barry and is just such a brilliant character. Adeel Akhtar was alright as Faisal. Arsher Ali was fine as Hassan. Every character in this movie was distinct and memorable and you will certainly not forget any of them. Barry is a personal favourite but every single character still has purpose and is fun in their own unique way.

Technically, this movie is mostly poor. The cinematography is awful but that may have been a stylistic choice. If that is the case, then fair enough but until then it's pretty poorly done. The effects were pretty poor and the set design was very generic but the costume design is absolutely flawless.

This movie told a, simply put, genius satire and may be the best in the past decade or so. It was clever, it was witty and it was perfect for the time it was written. It was very funny and I would say around 60% of the jokes hit which is definitely a positive. The remaining 40%, however, felt very forced and cringey.

In conclusion, this movie is very enjoyable if you enjoy dark humour and can take it. If you can't, then you will definitely hate this movie.

7/10

Would Recommend if you can take Offensive humour
½ March 12, 2017
A hilarious documentary style film about five aspiring jihad terrorists who are living in the U.K. This is one of the funniest films I've ever seen, the jokes are all great and the acting is equally as hilarious. The final act got a little to dark than I thought the rest of the film was going for, but there were still plenty of funny moments there too
½ February 18, 2017
This film is a dose of much needed funny medicine, black meds to be sure, but it will cure leprosy!
February 9, 2017
fantastic script. hilarious film.
November 25, 2016
This movie is great in so many strange ways. An absurdist comedy about UK Islamic terrorism and satirizing the entire concept.
½ November 16, 2016
Good comedy! I enjoyed it and there are some laugh out loud moments
½ August 24, 2016
Very tightly written, well acted, and insanely funny. Enough levity and ridiculousness to shake off some(but not all) of the darkness.
August 15, 2016
When dancing... lost in techno trance. Arms flailing, gawky Bez. Then find you snagged on frowns, and slowly dawns... you're jazzing to the bleep tone of a life support machine, that marks the steady fading of your day old baby daughter. And when midnight sirens lead to blue-flash road-mash. Stretchers, covered heads, and slippy red macadam, and find you creeping 'neath the blankets, to snuggle close a mangle bird, hoping soon you too will be freezer drawered. Then welcome... mmm... ooh, chemotherapy wig, welcome. In Jam. Jam. Jam. Jam. Jam. Jaaaaam.
½ August 10, 2016
Great black comedy that shows just how idiotic the ideology of suicide bombings are. It's funny, sometimes brutally funny.
jamrcla
July 18, 2016
A very unique film that i'm struggling to decide if I enjoyed it or not, I laughed a few times but it was not what I was expecting, Over hyped but an ok watch just don't expect a comedy masterpeice.
½ July 10, 2016
Who knew terrorism could be so hilarious?
½ July 9, 2016
This is so good. The villains/heroes are so stupid and real that I can't bring myself to hate them. This movie left me with a feeling of pity for those almost-legit terrorists.
April 29, 2016
Easily the best comedy i've watched in a long long time, i laughed like there's no tomorrow, Well done boys well done
½ March 31, 2016
and the stereotyping goes on!
March 24, 2016
A good attempt to show what true buffoons look like , however the global situation I wouldn't recommend this movie at this point of time in our lives. Such movies only go on to add the mindset of non muslims
½ March 8, 2016
Poor satire about 'Jihadism' gone wrong in a northern city (I wonder where?).
I must admit I was taken in by the trailer hook, line and sinker.
I was so bored on occasions I only found amusement playing I spy with the Sheffield filming locations.
Directed by Chris Morris, the not funny satirist who has caused controversy with some of his television shows in the UK including Brass Eye.
I am only surprised the film appears to have been rated so highly by some film critics snd viewers. I certainly won't watch ever again.
½ January 31, 2016
What happens when you combine Jihad and a dead pan British sense of humour? You get 9 awards for outstanding screenplay, film, acting and comedy!

The movie tales the story of four men who have a secret plan of becoming bombers in the UK. Needless to say, it definitely falls squarely in the black comedy folder and one that should not be missed, as it is very entertaining.

Remember, true comedy skills means being able to make fun of the mundane, boring and the serious, and the writing here does that in spades.

Definitely something something unique and out there on left field... And you know what? Sometimes going there can be very educational, not to mention, fascinating.
January 25, 2016
I'm late to the party one this one.

This got recommended to me recently.

There are some really funny moments, just not enough of them.

Great job from Kayvan Novak.

[6/10]
January 16, 2016
While this movie seemed like it could have a lot of promise, ultimately the poor picture quality and even worse audio quality made it unwatchable for me. The actors' inability to speak a single sentence without mumbling made it even worse. It seemed like there were probably many good jokes in it, but unfortunately I couldn't even hear the jokes. Also, if you watched the trailer, you basically saw all the funny parts.
December 25, 2015
It was strange, to taste the humour, and realise that the aftertaste was quite unfunny, and serious, and poignant, and beautiful. I've never tasted anything quite like it.