The French Connection Reviews

• 4d ago

Blu-ray, 2019/8/18 Doyle's obsession was unusual, and this was a horror and human madness and at the end was not a happy ending. This was also drawn on Zodiac etc., I felt the horror that humans were absorbed and immersed in plenty.

• Aug 13, 2019

Greatly suspensional

Greatly suspensional

• Aug 12, 2019

everything wrong with policing is found in this movie. the recklessness of the jackoff detec carries over as if this type of human hasn't learned from the obvious mistakes.

• Aug 11, 2019

Wonderful. but overrated. I love Hackman but he most certainly did not deserve an Oscar for his short scenes of irritation and temper. No characters are developed. All thriller and little humanity (but then again it IS a 70’s film). Exciting though. Absolutely.

• Jul 23, 2019

Classic movie but a bit overrated compared to other 1970's classics. Hackman and Scheider should have done more movies together.

• Jun 18, 2019

Excellent crime pix.

Excellent crime pix.

• May 10, 2019

Outstanding. Gritty, authentic, Hackman at his best.

Outstanding. Gritty, authentic, Hackman at his best.

• Apr 27, 2019

One of the greatest films ever in its genre, this is an intense, realistic, tough glimpse at cops and criminals and the gritty worlds of 1960s-70s New York and Marseille. Gene Hackman seems like he was born for this role - what a great performance.

• Apr 24, 2019

I wasn't alive in 1972 but if I had been present at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion that night I would have been very disappointed that this year's Best Picture winner was this great action film but not the utter perfection of The Last Picture Show (1971). This was a very good, very well made film that is deserving of all the praise that it gets for being an influential action movie but it shouldn't be the Best Picture of any year. Yes, it's technically well constructed but the characters were thin, the plot was exceedingly thin and the screenplay didn't contain the gems found in something like Carnal Knowledge (1971). Part of the problem is definitely that it wasn't targeted at teenage girls who enjoy conversation based films and not a film that's main attraction is a car chase and Gene Hackman's supposedly great performance. The film concerns two police officers working on a drug bust, Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider. they traipse around the grimiest parts of New York City in their increasingly desperate quest to find the drugs and have them arrested. Big set pieces including the famous car chase scenes and Hackman's many tempter tantrums. My biggest issue with the film is that it is largely boring and forgettable. I watched the film just two days ago and already the only things I can remember about it are the car chase scene and the removal of the sill from the car to get to the hidden drugs. Scheider who is so great in Sorcerer (1977) and All That Jazz (1979) gets little to do and Hackman is just a vessel for violence in the lead role as he does little more than narrow his eyes and redden his cheeks to convey his character's absolute determination. With two characters I really couldn't give a flying fuck about being the only two people that we really get to interact with in this film it's hard to stay engaged. The action is only so exciting before it becomes tedious and you become aware that this will be the entire film action with an underdeveloped purpose and nothing characters. Of course the car chase is stunning, it's edge of your seat exciting as you feel as though you are in the car with Hackman and Scheider in their dogged pursuit of their mark. The setting around them feels authentic and the driving feels dangerous as you question the sanity of the drivers. This sequence would influence so many films to follow but they're not really films I'm all that passionate about. This scene is just a tiny sliver of a film that's mostly dull or just bombastically stupid, watch the scene on youtube as much as you want it really doesn't get old quickly but don't invest hours of your life into this film as a whole. Watch The Last Picture Show or Carnal Knowledge if you take anything away from this film, they are better written, directed and acted than this overrated action flick. It shocks and surprises me that something that relies so heavily on one sequence could win over two films that are superb throughout. Watching Cloris Leachman throw her coffee at the wall and emotionally breakdown is a more gratifying experience than seeing Hackman angrily cuss at a stressed mechanic. Jack Nicholson's manic intensity and all-around oddness is a joy to be presented with while Scheider's moody man of few words act is great when used well but here Friedkin seems unaware of what he is working with. I would recommend the two other films I have already reference before I would even bring this film up in conversation. I am girly and I do like films that are more emotional than physical experiences but this is a film that is weak other than a few stunning sequences and that is not enough to call it the ï¿ 1/2~Best Picture' of the year because that implies that the film as a whole is better than the many great films to come out of 1971 and that is simply not true. If your tastes a similar to mine stay away from this overrated winner.

• Dec 14, 2018

From a law enforcement perspective there's so many things wrong even though it's a great film.