Gimme The Loot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gimme The Loot Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
"Gimme the Loot" may be a bit rough around the edges, but this one's a real gem.
½ October 8, 2015
POORLY written script. Starts off solid, but then just seems so random and "street" talk so forced and BS, especially the female actress. Also I call BS on "representing" one of the pillars of hip hop, graffiti. BS actors representing something they don't understand or comprehend without living the life so they're performance of it reeks of FAKENESS like most Hollywood movies attempting to portray subcultures.
½ June 24, 2015
It's like Godard and Spike Lee had a lovechild together.
½ May 3, 2015
What makes this movie work - it could have put "based on a true story" and everyone would believe it. The acting, writing, even the camera work flaws add to a sense of realism other similar films try desperately to achieve.
½ October 19, 2014
Getting a window into a life i am completely unfamiliar with was one of the best parts of this very well crafted film. A hard luck day in the life story of two New York taggers who you spend equal time rooting and feeling bad for. Lots of unique characters from the bizarre to the unlikable populate this world. You realize half of the way though that the goal is not important its all about the journey though this tough but always interesting life.
½ September 26, 2014
This movie was so much better than what I thought it would be. The story was a true breath of fresh air. A simple, humble and tender story line, a wonderfully subtle relationship and a fun and original plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
August 17, 2014
To be honest, I did not pay a lot of attention to this, but it never really grabbed my attention. Decent premise on the package: NYC kids trying to graffiti the NY Mets apple. Critics loved it. I don't get it.

Love baseball, have seen some good street art stuff. Given what the critics said, I thought this would be a sure-fire good movie. I guess the plot builds towards the kids getting the materials to paint the apple at the stadium but that was never clear to me. Instead, it was a bunch of jobless kids running around mostly being kids but also being punks with theft, etc.

Great line early on when the gal says it's not Citi Field...she's not going to say a name after some bank. It's Shea Stadium. But I never could get into it. Not the tension I expected when hearing some people are going to graffiti an NYC icon.
July 21, 2014
There's nothing like this out there. Real, poignant, funny and truly remarkable. Vivid portrait of NY.
½ April 18, 2014
well crafted 'caper movie' of sorts
½ April 7, 2014
I didn't think this would interest me. I was very wrong. Note, this film is not about wall writing, but rather what folks will do in the name of comeuppance in the face of disrespect.
February 19, 2014
Along with the wining the Grand Jury Prize at the 2012 SXSW Film Festival, Gimme the Loot was nominated for Best First Feature and won the Someone to Watch Award for director Adam Leon at the 2013 Independent Spirit Awards.[20]

Adam Leon received a Gotham Award nomination for "Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director" in 2013.[21]

The film also won Best Director at the Sofia Film Festival and Best Feature at the Molodist Film Festival, with lead actor Ty Hickson receiving a Special Jury Mention
January 28, 2014
Adorable and rewarding, in none of the usual ways.
½ January 9, 2014
I mostly liked it, but even at barely 80 mins, it seems to be running on fumes towards the end, and not to sound like an old man, but the incessant profanity every half second gets old after a while.
January 7, 2014
Funny, fresh and full of life, Gimme the Loot's story is slight but admirable for the characters it creates and the authenticity we feel. It's an indie film not concerned with being overly artistic or pretentious, but rather being refreshingly straightforward in its storytelling. It's the perfect antidote to Frances Ha.
½ January 3, 2014
one of my favourites this year.
January 1, 2014
Gimme the Loot is somewhat of a rarity. Nonjudgemental of his protagonists, Leon's debut is a sweet natured gangster flick which neither glorifies thug life nor condemns it. It's slight, knowingly goofy filmmaking " the likes of which are so rare in modern, message-laden cinema - and proves the young d (C)butant, his impressive cast and cinematographer Jonathan Miller as promising future talents.
½ December 28, 2013
A highly enjoyable and brilliant small film. It's got a great vibe, music and performances from the young cast. Feels very realistic and organic with lots of long takes from a distance. The characters are quirky and funny. Overall really enjoyable and sweet first feature from writer/ director Adam Leon.
December 25, 2013
A boring nigga heist movie.
½ December 24, 2013
I remember liking this a lot when I saw it but a few months on I can barely remember anything about, it. The two leads were brilliant and authentic.
December 15, 2013
I've seen better student films aT NYU.