Gone Baby Gone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gone Baby Gone Reviews

December 3, 2016
Tough to watch sometimes. Well done.
½ November 25, 2016
Ben Affleck crafts wonderful films behind the camera and normally pens them too. He deserves all the praise he gets because in his later years he has mastered both acting and directing. The dialogue is believable and absorbing. There is a ton of talk about best intentions & happens while characters act questionably. I love Morgan Freeman as a cop any chance I can get em. On top of that, this adaption of a book is written by the guy who wrote Mystic River.
Little Affleck shows his an ability to play a character from his home state. The mysteries winding excellently scene to scene. Critics call this a thriller, but one can also sense the elements of Noir. The cast surrounding him do not disappoint either, of which include the Black Smoke master from Lost and Michelle Monaghan. The narrative flows so naturally with a majority of things clicking for the film.
It's always interesting to see these movies give the hints to you, hiding the fact they are clues for the finale. The story causes you to rethink what you would deem good and bad as Casey looks for this missing girl beside the police. You can feel it start to lose you in the middle when a misdirection leads the story to stall, but it comes back stronger for it. The whole thing ends and you are still left with the question "Did he do the right thing"?
½ November 19, 2016
'Gone Baby Gone' is an exceptionally well told story. An adaptation of a novel of the same name (which I haven't read), it tells the story of an investigation into the abduction of a young girl investigated by both the police and an amateur private detective of sorts (Casey Affleck). The first time I saw this, I wasn't all that impressed. Then a couple of years later I watch it again for a second time with the girlfriend (her first time) and loved it. It's like I watched a totally different film the second time around. I hadn't forgotten how it ended, but maybe I was paying attention to the middle. Ben Affleck does an excellent job behind the camera - clearly much more capable at directing and acting - and his younger Casey Affleck clearly benefits from Ben's strong direction, supported by an all superb cast of actors. One not to miss. 4.5/5
November 11, 2016
Probably the most powerful film I've seen in some time. It is filled with hard moral lessons that play with your emotions. Little Casey Affleck is really coming into his own as a serious actor. Its hard to believe this is the same kid in the Ocean's movies. Harris and Freeman are nearly perfection.
½ November 9, 2016
For every good actor and plot point, there's a bad character arc and a laughable editing choice.
½ October 16, 2016
Couldn't understand a feckin' word they were saying. Steely eyed cyborg Ed Harris was good. Wolverine's girlfriend looked exactly like Michael Jackson.
½ October 15, 2016
Ben Affleck's directorial and screenplay efforts are a fascinating take in Gone Baby Gone. The film puts you in a vice-like grip with its emotional story, enthralling performances and even its striking and divisive twist that is emphatic and brilliant in every way. 4.5/5
October 8, 2016
Argo is a good (best) picture, but Gone Baby Gone is on another level, but not for everyone, both for the same reason.
October 7, 2016
'Gone Baby Gone' is a powerful, thought-provoking thriller that entertains, yet leaves the viewer will something to genuinely ponder. Toying with the true meaning of right, the film revolves around a missing girl. Much of the story plays out as you would expect, as one of the Afflecks assists in tracking down the culprit. Exciting action sequences inject pace inbetween tense scenes between key culprits. The conclusion however begins to pose difficult questions not only for our lead to answer, but the audience also. I thoroughly enjoyed this book to film adaptation, and its certainly one I continue to discuss and recommend.
½ October 4, 2016
Worth watching but never fully grasped my attention like other crime dramas have. Casey Affleck definitely made this movie with his phenomenal acting.
½ September 25, 2016
Entretenida, imprescindible y muy bien dirigida y actuada, no tengo problemas con esta película, me gustó mucho, Ben Affleck lo hizo muy bien.
September 16, 2016
nice twists, not enough character or plot development but def worth the time
½ September 15, 2016
The accents are so realistic and thick that it's occasionally hard to understand. The brothers Affleck do an amazing job with really tough subject matter. You leave asking questions about what's morally right and wrong. Great stuff.
½ September 10, 2016
***1/2 A gripping time at the movies. 'Gone Baby Gone' is a brilliantly told story, and a great debut by Ben Affleck as a filmmaker. It's not perfect, with a slow start and for the most part a visually uninspired look, but it gets the storytelling and the script locked down, which in a movie like this is most important thing.
September 6, 2016
Ben Affleck's first directorial effort is completely carried by his brother's great lead performance (which should've been more recognized)
August 30, 2016
Ben Affleck definitely showing his talent other than acting in this movie.
August 29, 2016
It takes a while for the pieces of the puzzle to come together. But, once the picture becomes clearer, it leads to an unfathomable ending. While portions of Gone Baby Gone may be far-fetched, it does beg the question of what is right, and what is wrong.
August 18, 2016
A great mystery drama with good cast and good performance, and oh my god Ben Affleck , he just nails it with his direction. He proves that he is one of the best directors we have now.This movie has a great location set in Boston and gives us a beautiful thriller.
½ August 3, 2016
Al suo debutto alla regia Ben Affleck riesce a creare un buon thriller, pieno di colpi di scena e personaggi interessanti. Nonostante una trama particolarmente intricata il film risulta essere chiaro da seguire, grazie ad una sceneggiatura pulita ed una regia mai scontata.