Gothika Reviews

Dann M Super Reviewer
    Sep 07, 2019

A mediocre supernatural thriller, Gothika is rather disappointing. When criminal psychiatrist Dr. Miranda Grey has a blackout and wakes up in prison accused of murdering her husband she has to try to remember what happened and convince people that she's not crazy in order to exonerate herself. Starring Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr., and Penelope Cruz, the film has a pretty strong cast; however their performances are rather lackluster. Also, the script has some issues; i.e. the investigation only serves to find more damning evidence against her and the resolution is inexplicable. Still, the film does a good job at creating suspense and intrigue. And the set designs, music, and cinematography set a creepy, foreboding tone. Gothika has some problems, but it also delivers some chilling moments as well.

• Jul 07, 2019

Think was very good keeps you guesing

Think was very good keeps you guesing

• Jul 02, 2019

One word....what? Seriously made very little sense. No foreshadowing. Felt forced. Why would worms (not maggots) worms come out of rotten fruit on a counter in a nice house? Is the security guard Halle Berry's friend? Why did downy not smash? Why is Halle Berry's husband ugly af...why does the girl look like a less hotter version of a ghost from 13 ghosts? All unanswered. All alarming. 10/10 would reccom

• Mar 18, 2019

This really should be an origin story. I would read tf out of this as a comic.

This really should be an origin story. I would read tf out of this as a comic.

• Feb 25, 2019

The first flick which started Halley Berry’s landslide into a career, which caused her to become the laughing stock of the movie business! I kinda enjoyed it for Robert Downey Jr.’s performance, but outside of that, an epic fail from start to finish.

• Feb 01, 2019

Definitely entertaining and easy to engage in. Acting is on par. I agree with other reviewers that the movie doesnï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)t take the horror genre to new levels but itï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)s a good enough story to watch unfold in its under 2 hour runtime. The backstory of the killers couldï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)ve been examined more with details, however. Always love to watch Robert Downey Jr onscreen and Halle Berry does her part as well.

• Jan 01, 2019

I THOUGHT it was an awesome movie...halle Berry was first-rate!

I THOUGHT it was an awesome movie...halle Berry was first-rate!

• Nov 21, 2018

This is what you get when you chuck a handful of Hollywood A listers into a contrived horror thriller. It has its moments but it is all utterly ridiculous and totally forgettable.

• Jul 23, 2018

fantastic film, so goo.

fantastic film, so goo.

• Jul 06, 2018

There is a concept that could have been fascinating in Gothika. The idea of a psychiatrist having a mental break and then using her training to work through her own problem in order to discover the truth could have been fascinating. They even had some scenes at the beginning that felt like they could have been strong foreshadowing of discussions that she would have later in her own therapy sessions. But they didn’t go that direction at all. Instead Gothika is a pathetic attempt at combining a horror ghost story with a murder mystery. They overuse certain elements, and the way they keep referencing the “Not Alone” message and continue to adapt what it means for the convenience of the story is just bad writing. It doesn’t help that Halle Berry is in the lead role and she is not at all equipped for this kind of acting. She is flat, dull, and relies on the same 2 or 3 expressions for everything. I almost forgave some of the failings in the movie simply because I like a good murder mystery, but it wasn’t handled in the best way to maintain the puzzle for the audience. We get too many early reveals of what happened and why, and they don’t properly set up the next mystery for us to solve. I also hate movies that ignore the reality of criminal justice, because they act like certain crimes will be forgiven if someone has a good reason for doing it. So there was potential in Gothika, but most of the choices made after the initial setup were stupid, and that sunk the movie for me.