Gothika Reviews

• 5d ago

Not great, yet enjoyable. Halle Berry is the star of 'Gothika', but is also joined competently by Robert Downey Jr. and Penélope Cruz; though we don't see much of the latter, unfortunately. The execution of the premise comes out alright, though could've been better of course. There's also a tonne of screaming, most of it unnecessary. As for scares, I can't say it produces in that regard to be honest. It's mainly just the cast that stick out, but I still like the vibe of the film even if it never had me feeling tense or anything close. Thankfully they kept it relatively short at just 98 minutes, even just 10-15 additional minutes would've crippled my feelings towards it. As such, it's passable.

• Jul 21, 2020

The title perhaps explains the whole atmosphere of the movie - it is full of gothical twists and turns, the central venue itself (the asylum) is dark and foreboding as the halls of a cathedral where assassins lurk behind pulpit and pillars. We know that this movie is not about art, it is about entertainment, it is greatly implausible as narrative but... one sometimes reads horror stories which are true and happen under our noses. I thought it was caricature horror, scared me a couple of times, got me curious about how the plot would develop and thicken and that's what I want from entertainment: not being bored, something to take my mind off routine life.

• Jun 30, 2020

i like mystery but i think presentation is bad it so many jump scare that come with Loud noise ,so This Film have a Great Mystery but Director can't Make it Memorable

• Jun 18, 2020

The story was boring, derivative and all the very sudden "jump scares" were just downright annoying.

• Oct 20, 2019

Compelling and sometimes thrilling, Gothika is a dull not scaring thriller but Halle Berry's performance is just about solid.

Dann M Super Reviewer
    Sep 07, 2019

A mediocre supernatural thriller, Gothika is rather disappointing. When criminal psychiatrist Dr. Miranda Grey has a blackout and wakes up in prison accused of murdering her husband she has to try to remember what happened and convince people that she's not crazy in order to exonerate herself. Starring Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr., and Penelope Cruz, the film has a pretty strong cast; however their performances are rather lackluster. Also, the script has some issues; i.e. the investigation only serves to find more damning evidence against her and the resolution is inexplicable. Still, the film does a good job at creating suspense and intrigue. And the set designs, music, and cinematography set a creepy, foreboding tone. Gothika has some problems, but it also delivers some chilling moments as well.

• Jul 07, 2019

Think was very good keeps you guesing

Think was very good keeps you guesing

• Jul 02, 2019

One word....what? Seriously made very little sense. No foreshadowing. Felt forced. Why would worms (not maggots) worms come out of rotten fruit on a counter in a nice house? Is the security guard Halle Berry's friend? Why did downy not smash? Why is Halle Berry's husband ugly af...why does the girl look like a less hotter version of a ghost from 13 ghosts? All unanswered. All alarming. 10/10 would reccom

• Mar 18, 2019

This really should be an origin story. I would read tf out of this as a comic.

This really should be an origin story. I would read tf out of this as a comic.

• Feb 25, 2019

The first flick which started Halley Berry’s landslide into a career, which caused her to become the laughing stock of the movie business! I kinda enjoyed it for Robert Downey Jr.’s performance, but outside of that, an epic fail from start to finish.