Happy Gilmore Reviews

March 22, 2012
It's sad to see where Adam Sandler is right now and compare him to what he was like in the 90's. It just makes you wonder one thing: What happened? Happy Gilmore is definately one of the better movies that Sandler has been in. He plays Happy Gimore, a hockey player with a reputation for being violent towards anybody who pisses him off. (I'm sure he'd beat up a 90 year old man if he was mad enough.) So Happy's grandmother is losing her house because of unpaid taxes and he decides to get the money by winning a golf tournament. It turns out he's a natural when it comes to driving the ball long distances. The thing about this movie is that it's actually funny. There were some jokes where I was like "Come on, you're 90's Adam Sandler, you can do so much better." Some jokes were dumb, but there are surprisingly a lot of parts that made me laugh my ass off. Ben Stiller as the nursing home orderly...that's really all I have to say. Anytime you slap a mustache on Ben Stiller, he's instantly a dick to everyone and he makes for some very funny scenes. Most of the film's humor revolves around Happy's behavior, stuff like him beating people up and cussing and it works for this movie. The jokes aren't as crude or idiotic as they could've been. One would think that seeing Happy beat people up would get old halfway through the movie, but his violence just provides so much entertainment. The fight between him and Bob Barker is hands down my favorite scene in the entire movie. Not just the actual fight made me laugh, but the build up to it also cracked me up. The guy who is always yelling "Jackass!" is the best character in the movie. For a comedy, the cast is pretty decent. Frances Bay, Christopher McDonald are all good in their roles (I didn't really care for Julie Bowen) but it surprised me how Carl Weathers held up as Chubbs. He's the basic mentor with a backstory, but he provided some good laughs, as did the rest of the supporting cast. Happy Gilmore is a stupid movie, but in a good way. Back in the 90's Adam Sandler movies were known for their stupidity, but the stupid stuff was also the funny stuff. Now with stuff like Jack and Jill and Just go with it, it's just plain stupid. Happy Gilmore is no perfect comedy, but it's enjoyable as hell and it does it's job of being watchable and making me laugh.
½ June 16, 2012
A good time, nothing more, nothing less.
½ August 9, 2011
Quick witted humor throughout which I really liked. It was also fast paced and straight to the point, no extra long time developing a story line. All in all, I liked the film, but I don't place it on a high pedestal like other people seem to do. Also, something I noticed to be exceptionally annoying was the abundance of product placements within the film. Unnecessary.
½ January 21, 2011
To call this movie a classic is an understatement. It is, in fact, the best (if not the only decent) film with Adam Sandler as a lead. Happy Gilmore is comedy gold. I'll start this review with my favorite scene: Sandler's character is partners with Price is Right host Bob Barker; after some unlawful behavior, Gilmore and Barker get into a pretty rough brawl together. So many things make that scene great, the writing, the acting, and "the price is wrong, bitch." In addition to all of those quintessential aspects, I love Julie Bowen. As a big Modern Family fan, it was delightful seeing her in this, looking much, MUCH younger. An all-around great movie.
½ October 29, 2011
Tried ever so hard to be funny, tried ever so hard to be a good, funny film, yet it just fell short of many people's standards.
½ December 30, 2006
It's ok with a few funny scenes, not quite sure why it's held in such high regard by many?! The sight of Sandler losing it with the clubs and smashing stuff up is over used. A has the odd moment that will make you laugh out loud, but a long shot short of a classic! Odd to see Ben Stiller in such a small, weird role in this?
DreamExtractor
March 16, 2011
This movie is a classic, but if it wasnt so disgusting I wouldve loved it more. The writers were good in this film, they wrote good jokes and put in classic scenes. Adam Sandler was great, might be his best performance. The grossness of the film was very high however, there were moments where I couldnt evdn watch. It was a good film, but maybe a little too stupid and gross for me, but still hilarious.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 21, 2011
Looking back at Adam Sandler's career, of all the films that he has done, 95% of them have been crap. For the exception of a few. One of those films is Happy Gilmore. This has got to be the best film that Adam Sandler has starred in. He plays a failed hockey player who enrolls in a golf tournament so that he can save his grandmother's house from forclosure. Happy Gilmore is a no brainer comedy thats a lot of fun. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but if you're looking for Sandler's best film, here it is. The cast are funny, and I personally think that the one who is the funniest here and makes the film watchable is Ben Stiller as the retirement Home orderly. There are things that could've been done better, but as a whole, Happy Gilmore is one of the few Sandler comedies that really does work. The film has a fairly impressive cast as well, and every viewer has got to admit the fight between Bob Barker and Happy is one of the funniest moments that could happen in a comedy. I won't say it's a classic moment, cause it's not, but it's definitely a very good part. Happy Gilmore is not an excellent comedy by any means, but it certainly brings on good laughs. This is definitely a film worth watching with friends to have yourself a good time.
September 6, 2010
If you like Sandler, stupid comedies, and sports (even if you hate golf) you will enjoy this movie. There is an interesting cast, including some cameos from celebrities. This movie isn't brilliant, but it's a lot of fun.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
The lines from this film are amazing. 'I eat shit like you for breakfast.' 'You eat shit for breakfast?' You can't help but fall in love with Adam Sandler everytime you watch his films. He makes awful actors and actresses incredible in the films he appears in. A must watch film without a doubt! Hysterical!
Marc L.
March 23, 2011
Let me tell those reading my review a story. Once upon a time, there was a comedian named Adam Sandler. He was one of the greatest and most enjoyable faces in comedy. Now, not so much, but in the 90's, he was the man. Happy Gilmore was a perfect example. Possibly the greatest comedy ever written, and one of the best sports movies. It is definately a personal favorite of mine.

The fight between Bob Barker is easily the most memorable moment, but there are also plenty of other laugh out loud moments in this masterpiece of laughter. The final course, the old lady "signing" scene and most of the scenes involving Shootetr McMavin will have you gasping for air.

It has a decent amount of heart too. Carl Weathers does a fantastic job as Chubbs, one of the more likeable characters in the movie, as does Frances Bay as Happy's grandma. Don't listen to the critics who say this movie doesn't have heart, because it truly does.

Adam Sandler actually does a decent job acting beyond simply making the audience laugh. His role as Happy is realistic, emotional and wacky all at the same time.

Go into this movie with a negative attitude, and you will probably be dissapointed. However, go into this movie with a medium attitude and you will be amazed at the wonders Sandler manages to conjure. A classic.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
A story of a hockey player that's destined to play golfer played by Adam Sandler? How can you go wrong especially with the funny fight seen between Sandler & Bob Barker :) Another Adam Sandler film that never fails to provide hilarity and romance at the same time :)
July 30, 2010
Probably Sandler's funniest performance.
June 24, 2010
this was hilarous. B+
thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Funny movie about an angry ice hockey player who gets kicked off his team. He discovers he is a pro at golf and enters a tournament to win the prize money to buy back his grandma's house. Adam is very funny. Ben Stiller makes an appearance as a nasty nurse in the residential home. Hilarious!
½ January 17, 2010
Actually a very decent movie. Adam Sandler actually gives a pretty god performance for what you usually see and the story is actually pretty funny. The supporting characters like Ben Stiller's deranged fascist nurse and Shooter McGavin are what make the movie a definite must see. It's a light-hearted comedy that's just the right amount of Adam Sandler.
January 13, 2010
This is a very solid comedy that is held high by adam sandler! Completely funny and couldn't really be asked to do anyting more than what it did!
Daniel Mumby
½ October 16, 2009
Of all the mediocre and obnoxious films Adam Sandler has made, in which he always plays the exact same character, this is the best. The storyline conforms to pretty much every cliché in Hollywood, from the mentor who meets with a sticky end to the stereotypical villain, the sex object love interest and the sentimental happy ending.

Nevertheless there are one or two elements of this film which make it at least bearable to watch. One of them is the cameo appearance by Richard Kiel, still most famous for playing James Bond?s enemy Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. He?s only on screen for 10 minutes or so, but he has a lot more charisma and presence than any of the film?s main characters, and because he doesn?t appear until the end, you feel the need to stick around.

The other thing is that, unlike in a lot of Sandler?s films, most of the humour is relatively tasteful. There is no real toilet humour, horrible puns or cringeworthy innuendo. The only really tasteless scene in where the villain kisses his elderly grandmother far too enthusiastically. Considering the lengths to which he has since gone - for instance, his scenes with the transvestite in 50 First Dates - this comes as a welcome relief.

Happy Gilmore, like pretty much everything that Sandler put outs, is a marmite film. If you love it, you'll love everything else he?s done, and find that even the lowest and weakest joke he can come up with will have you in fits. If you hate it, or at least find to mediocre, you?ll be put off him for life. This is one of his better films, but considering the garbage Sandler has put out both on screen and through his production company, that's hardly the greatest of compliments.