Happy Gilmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy Gilmore Reviews

½ September 16, 2017
Happy Gilmore is a very funny and entertaining movie. The plot doesn't feel too formulaic but it does feel familiar enough to draw you in to the movie. Most of the jokes actually hit in this movie even if they were reused a couple of times throughout the movie. I can definitely say that Happy Gilmore is Adam Sandler's best movie. But if you don't like him or his type of humor, you won't have a whole lot of fun with this movie. A-
September 10, 2017
his best film in my opinion
September 7, 2017
Adam Sandler is just such a hilarious actor he makes me laugh a lot for most of the movies I have seen a man I would say that he does great!
August 14, 2017
Happy Gilmore is a funny movie with a competent plot. That is really all I have to say about it.
½ July 28, 2017
If you're only going to see one Adam Sandler movie, see this one! Best Comedy of all Time!
½ July 20, 2017
Although the humour relies on juvenile antics and crudity, it manages to work since it is pleasantly funny.
½ July 7, 2017
Not as funny or as fresh as Billy Madison, but is the better movie. Adam Sandler is fine here as Happy Gilmore, but there is just something missing.
½ June 29, 2017
Happy Gilmore is a fun movie, but it lacks on the comedy and general story.
June 29, 2017
I can't see how anyone could no like this film. Yeah it's incredibly stupid but it's very funny. It's features a great performance from Christopher McDonald as Shooter McGavin and Carl Weathers is great as Chubbs. I must've seen this movie 20 times and I still find it funny.
June 2, 2017
probablly the best Sandler movie
April 11, 2017
the ONLY decent Sandler film
½ March 28, 2017
Of the Sandler-style comedies, this is my favorite one.
½ March 15, 2017
Refreshingly funny, in a stupid, yet satisfying way.
½ March 6, 2017
Why do you just go home
February 21, 2017
Dennis Dugan, the director of 'Happy Gilmore,' did a remarkable job of making a comedic movie into a movie that you could truly relate to the characters and the storylines. Dennis Dugan also the director of 'The Benchwarmers', and 'Don't Mess With the Zohan', consistently can make the viewer amused, but these movies serve no justice to the plot of 'Happy Gilmore'. After watching Dennis Dugan movies, you are often left clueless on the point of the movie. With 'Happy Gilmore' you leave with the laughs and grow close with the characters, and the stories behind each character.

In the move 'Happy Gilmore' there are multiple storylines that completely compel the audience. Happy Gilmore (Adam Sandler), is the main character and deals with a tremendous amount of adversity throughout the movie. First and foremost, Happy's Grandmother, whom he loves dearly, loses her house. Happy's mission is to get the house back to his Grandmother. Secondly, Happy meets his crush Virginia (Julie Bowen). Happy does whatever it takes to win over her heart. Lastly, Happy needs to overcome the antics of his arch nemesis Shooter McGavin (Christopher McDonald). Along these seemingly reachable goals, Happy deals with an outrageous amount of setbacks to keep the viewer at the edge of their seat. Nothing is given to Happy, he needs to make everything happen himself through shear willingness, and devotion to the tasks he has at hand.

With these main storylines, Dennis Dugan hit the jackpot. How could you possibly go wrong with a man seeking to find the money to buy his Grandmother's house back? Also, no one can dislike a man going after the woman of his dreams. These storylines could've easily been thought of as 'boring,' or 'not original,' but Dugan dressed up the plot and the storylines into an adventure that has never been seen before.

Dugan's best decision was making Adam Sandler the main act. Adam Sandler as an actor always impresses me, and in this film he goes above and beyond. Sandler never has any trouble making people laugh in his films, but in 'Happy Gilmore' he's able to relate to the audience with his true feelings for the ones he cares about. I could sincerely feel the struggle that Sandler's character was going through to get the house back to his Grandma. Supporting actors such as Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen, Frances Bay, Ben Stiller, and Carl Weathers do a great job to make Happy's emotions come alive. 'Happy Gilmore' listed as comedy, family, and sports genres could truly also be listed as a romance, and an action film. This movie truly encapsulates and brings out the best of all genres. Each scene, line, emotion, and expression contributed to an unforgettable ending.
February 19, 2017
Tiresomely lowbrow, "Happy Gilmore" is easier to take than most Sandler comedies, but is too cruel to recommend.
February 8, 2017
Those one liners though..! haha
January 8, 2017
Adam Sandler's best movie.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 21, 2016
I had actually only seen this once around the time it was released. Not a great movie but works if you want something light. I was surprised to see a young looking Julie Bowen from "Modern Family". For Sandler or silly comedy fans only.