Heartburn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heartburn Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
Heartburn is a decent film. It is about Rachel who is a food writer at a New York magazine who meets Washington columnist Mark. Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Mike Nichols did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and drama.
½ May 31, 2015
Watch the movie for Meryl but read the book for Nora. I heard Bernstein's ego interfered in the film and it shows.
May 5, 2015
The acting was great. The story had potential but ended up being mostly depressing. Was a good depiction of marriage and the struggles that marriages face. I was hoping for a lot more, having enjoyed films influenced by Nora Ephron in the past. Only reason for R-rating was a few too many f-words.
½ March 24, 2015
bombed when released but I liked this rom-com
March 13, 2015
All about a marriage going going going and then going bad. If you like Streep and Nicholson you should like this tale of infidelity and disallusionment. A big treat is seeing a young Kevin Spacey in his first feature film debut as a robber.
March 7, 2015
A truly underrated romantic film that also has enough comedic and sad moments to keep you very, very interested throughout.
½ February 12, 2015
Norah Ephron's book launched this film, which tackles the tricky subject of infidelity without much complexity. The film covers the emotional rollercoaster that was Ephron's second marriage, using stand-ins Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson. Most of the film is about their relationship, its beginnings, and the machinations of their life together. Near the end we actually get to the issues of the marriage, i.e. the infidelity on the part of Mark (Nicholson). The message of the film is that you shouldn't be with someone who doesn't respect you. What makes this lukewarm is that Mark's point of view is never expressed, and it's very one sided. Rachel (Streep) runs off, but is filled with regret as she is a single mother, and very pregnant. It seems like she only wants Mark to race after her, as she waits for him to call or send flowers, neither of which he does. The ending remains anticlimactic because Rachel doesn't really learn anything that isn't easy for her to reach. She just stops acting needy and changes her mind. It doesn't say anything bigger than "cheating is bad" and that's a message that has already been hammered to death, in much better films that include abuse and dependency. Without any complexity or understanding of this marriage as a whole, it's too easy an ending, and not worth the watch.
February 3, 2015
Nope, nope nope. Never again.
½ January 27, 2015
Are you still being good?

Rachel Samstat in her second marriage marries Washington DC columnist Mark Forman. They seem to have the perfect marriage: a fixer upper home, hang out with friends, and have children. During her second pregnancy, she discovers he's having an affair. She leaves him. She tries raising a family on her own, but one day he shows up and tries to reconcile. Can she mentally get over the trauma of their issues or will her mental instability destroy them?

"He falls in love with someone else and still wants to be friends."

Mike Nichols, director of Closer, The Graduate, The Birdcage, Charlie Wilson's War, Wolf, Biloxi Blues, Working Girl, Primary Colors, and Regarding Henry, delivers Heartburn. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and unique. The character development, script, and acting are all very solid. The cast includes Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Jeff Daniels, Maureen Stapleton, and Stockard Channing.

"Marriage doesn't work. You know what works? Divorce."
"Divorce is only a temporary solution."

This was a movie I came across on Netflix and thought would be interesting. I have always been a huge Jack Nicholson fan and was excited to see him in a movie I had never seen before. He wasn't in this much, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this gem. Overall, this isn't a masterpiece or must own for your collection, but it is a worthwhile movie worth a viewing.

"How much for the ring?"

Grade: C+/B-
½ November 20, 2014
"COMING AROUND AGAIN."
½ September 13, 2014
The acting is commendable by the brilliant two lead, but there isn't enough material for the two legends to shine here.

About the movie: Some people are not capable of change, but we tend to believe in second chances and in the slight possibility for that change to occur; all in vain.
½ August 4, 2014
Jack, Meryl! What is this nonsense?!
January 19, 2014
With Streep and Nicholson, you are left wondering how much better Heartburn could have been, and they do their best to save it from an uninspired script.
December 26, 2013
Despite based on a true story and good performance from Meryl Streep, the sorrow Nora Ephron has been through has never turned me on and I remain to be an outsider to look at this truthful depiction of a failed marriage.
November 26, 2013
I loved everything about this movie. It captures the time perfectly an is smart and engaging! I will watch it again.
½ March 20, 2013
Not jack Nicholson's best work but it was a good movie. The story is a bit weird but it was a good movie.
January 27, 2013
This is one of my favorite films,
love the pasta scene
½ January 5, 2013
From Ephron's script to the performances of Streep and Nicholson - it gives you exactly what it said: "Heartburn."
½ December 16, 2012
Regardless of the back story, I thought this was a rather good movie. Very sad and very true. Real life doesn't follow a plot line. Love isn't black and white. Besides, it's Meryl Streep. She could do a monologue for 4 hours and I would love it!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.