Hell Reviews

• Feb 18, 2016

Peeters out just as it starts to build to an exciting climax.

Peeters out just as it starts to build to an exciting climax.

• Jan 15, 2016

The plot this time around is that the sun has gone 10 degrees above it's core temperature which in turn scorches the Earth, and the world falls into anarchy, as survivors looks for a safe haven. The film starts with one couple who we don't see again, then we join our main protagonists Phillip, Marie and Marie's little sister Leonie, along the way they pick up Tom. The latter two get kidnapped in the Hills Have Eyes and Wrong Turn fashion and it's up to Marie to overcome both the heat and kidnappers to rescue her sister. This addition to the apocalypse genre is short, sharp and sweet. The acting is brilliant as the actors do a good job of making you care about pretty much stock characters. The look of the film is just the right side of bright and gritty. I thoroughly enjoyed this film it was very gripping my only gripes were that the characters were pretty much stock that out with the sun being scorched it wasn't particularly original. The open ending means a sequel is possible with these same characters, while I would be receptive to a Hollywood remake, but then again this film is good enough that it doesn't need one. I personally liked it, only you can decide if you will.

• Aug 28, 2015

Post-apocalyptic movies are becoming a dime-a-dozen, but this was better than most. Like the Road meets Terminus.

• Jun 08, 2015

A sparse but enjoyable post-apocalypse movie that isn't too imaginative, but keeps your attention nevertheless.

• May 07, 2015

Another pretty great post-apocalytic picture. This time from ze Germans. Takes the obvious turns for the most part, but some good performances, and a cool new premise, where the sun has gotten out of control and is scorching the earth.

• Mar 30, 2015

I saw this on its premiere in an open air cinema. I ate the hottest fucking red pepper I've eaten so far. Thats pretty much the only thing I remember from that premiere. The acting wasn't that bad for a horror movie as far as I remember.

• Nov 10, 2014

Nice apocalyptic movie with sun made climate warming, not human made, for a change :p

• Aug 27, 2014

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

• Feb 18, 2014

Hell, German for bright, is a post apocalyptic film where the sun begins burring hotter, raising the temperature of earth by 10 degrees, causing water and food shortages, leading to a compete breakdown of civilization. The film takes place three years after the event and follows a small group of survivors who are on the road looking for food, water, gas, supplies and anywhere better than they are coming from. It's a pretty familiar post apocalyptic set up, especially when the younger sister of one of the group is kidnaped by a family of cannibals. What this film does better than most of it's ilk is creating a frighteningly real atmosphere, similar to the film version of "The Road," where characters and situations are not silly exaggerations, such as "The Hills Have Eyes" or "The Road Warrior."' Like "The Road" or even the underrated "Carriers," the film come across as a highly probable situation given the circumstances, where no characters actually view themselves as the villain. This film lacks the subtext of the McCarthy film adaptation, but it has an intelligence to it that you don't see in most genre films of this sort. It's a hopeless and depressing world with some well drawn characters that make for an engrossing story. Definitely worth watching for fans of end of the world scenarios.

• Feb 16, 2014

Great new idea in a tired genre. Thought this was a brilliant movie and would probably do well in the states if rereleased in English.