Wild Grass (Les Herbes Folles) Reviews

• Jul 23, 2018

The most infuriating film I have ever seen

The most infuriating film I have ever seen

• Dec 17, 2015

Alain Resnais that gave us so great film like "Hiroshima my love" or "Last year in Marienbad", after all this time take a lot of licenses and made this film in the border of quantum uncertainty, using a narrator, because without him we could get lost in the labyrinths of the story. Weird, refreshing and defiant for the mind.

• Jun 15, 2014

im not redoing this again

im not redoing this again

• Sep 29, 2013

This is a strange movie. It almost demands that you treat it like a thriller, your mind spinning with the possibilities of what might happen next. But it is better viewed without all that internal noise. Just sit back, relax into Zen repose and let the movie flow over you.

• Jul 24, 2013

I really have to learn to judge whether to see a movie or not by the audience liked it number (here 38%) instead of the Tomatometer (here 66%). I must agree with one of the audience reviewers who said the director (who once made real masterpieces such as Hiroshima Mon Amour, which, incidentally, I loved) must have become senile, because this is an absurd mess. The leading lady is 60 (her real age when the film was made--I looked up all the actors ages) and looks like she borrowed Ronald MacDonald's wig, but she so fascinates the leading man, who is supposed to be 50, is actually 64 and looks 84, that he falls in love with her, even though he has a 46 year old wife at home who looks like a 35 year old beauty queen. What idiot cast this travesty? And what woman in her right mind would just have to meet this nut job AFTER he's slashed all four of her car tires instead of running to the closest judge for a restraining order? The little girl who appears at the very end and, apropos of nothing in the plot, asks her mother if she can eat cat crunches says it all about this movie.

• Mar 16, 2013

Well, that was like some crazy French fever dream or something. W-E-I-R-D

Well, that was like some crazy French fever dream or something. W-E-I-R-D

• Aug 07, 2012

Les Herbes Folles is an odd film. The first part of the film is replete with deadpan humour and bizarre situations. The second half of the film channels a bit of Pierrot le Fou and tries to leave the audience guessing. Director Alain Resnais leaves the audience guessing, providing a Hollywood ending followed by the ârealâ? ending five minutes later. Two random strangers are connected by a lost wallet and become infatuated with each other. There is a sense that Georges, who found the wallet, is hiding something but it is never totally revealed, only suggested. Marguerite initially wants nothing to do with him but later cannot keep Georges out her mind. Non-sequiturs jar the audience concentration throughout the film and there is frequent use of symbolism. A broken fly along with an out of control plane, a man repainting his house as he tries to renovate himself. Some moments are absurd, like a party in the police station keeping officers from their duties or a dentist wilfully causing patients pain. The world is a random, crazy place. The audience plays the role of observer, due to overhead shots or shots filming people from behind. The camera pans from one corner of the room to another and it is obvious several minutes have elapsed. The narrator shows the thoughts of the characters, their doubts, and second thoughts, instead of being an all-knowing voice. I think that these directorial strategies were instrumental in grabbing the attention of the audience and helping them relate to the characters.

• Apr 19, 2012

Interesting story with wired characters that you don't get to know quite enough to really care.

• Jan 08, 2012

????? ????? ????? ???? ? ????? .. ?????? :)

????? ????? ????? ???? ? ????? .. ?????? :)

• Jan 04, 2012

despite the ambiguous ending and strange plot, a beautiful and delicate film.

despite the ambiguous ending and strange plot, a beautiful and delicate film.