Hercules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hercules Reviews

January 15, 2017
Worst Hercules movie ever. Would have been better if they'd just stuck with him have super human powers. A more epic story would have been Hercules going through the twelve labors. Maybe a trilogy? Instead this is Hercules and a band of bandits doing g not superior although feats. Could have been a lot better. It's a huge missed opportunity!
½ January 11, 2017
Completely worthless in every way, the best parts from the trailer were shown in the beginning.
December 26, 2016
he is made for action movies
December 24, 2016
I honestly believe it added a great twist to an old story
December 18, 2016
enjoyable greek romp
December 11, 2016
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
jamrcla
December 7, 2016
I must be honest the only reason I saw this film was because I'm a big fan of Dwayne Johnson and the fact that I needed to be reassured that it was better than the terrible The Legend Of Hercules, And I must admit it's a whole lot of fun from start to finish, The trailer looks like it was going to be a CGI monster fest but it was far from it with a decent story and some nice humour thrown in it's just what we needed in cinema lately, The effects were pretty good, Some good action scenes not the best acted but who cares, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version but I could imagine it being ok but not essential, If you go into this movie expecting it to be like Troy then you will be disappointed but if you liked the Scorpion King you will love this.
November 14, 2016
Enjoyed myself and the fight sequences are good, story is typical
½ November 11, 2016
the rock is perfect in the part of hercules it seems he born to play the demigod
November 5, 2016
A film full of action.
½ October 12, 2016
Not to bad of a movie
½ September 27, 2016
Hercules
Different approach, same excitement
September 12, 2016
ah could of gone without seeing this one
½ September 10, 2016
Too much CGI. I struggled to relate this to the base story of Hurcules. I lime The Rock, but this was cliche even for him.
½ September 1, 2016
Had a good time watching this film, some things could have been done differently to make the film a little bit better. But still a good movie, especially one to watch with the family.
August 27, 2016
Competent enough to say it's decent.
August 22, 2016
A generic storyline with a very predictable plot twist.
½ August 16, 2016
The trailer sold such a promising premise but ultimately the plot is a letdown and falls short of epic.
½ August 16, 2016
I wish I could say that Brett Ratner's HERCULES is one bloody awful film but it's not bloody at all. It's just awful. I wish it had been bloody and I don't know why it wasn't. There was a lot of fighting happening on screen but the only person who seemed show any of the red stuff was Hercules and even his wasn't that much. I get more blood on my face from shaving. I was expecting blood to splat off the screen ą la Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR or the SPARTACUS TV series. This is a 3D film, after all. What's the point of having 3D if things aren't going to start flying out at the audience?

This film's take on Hercules finds its source in Radical Comics' revisionist tale of the son of Zeus and the mortal Alcmene. There were two publications in that limited series - The Thracian Wars, which this film covers, and The Knives of Kush. Unlike previous film and TV versions (and there were many!), Ratner's film deals with Hercules the man rather than Hercules the demigod. Sure, the guy's got a helluva legend built up, but in this film we're also shown glimpses of Hercules' family life.

In this story, Hercules (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) has completed all but one of his legendary Twelve Labours, from slaying the sabre-toothed Nemean Lion to capturing the Erymanthian Boar. That's covered in the first few minutes of the film or, if you prefer, the film's trailer. Rather than finishing his task, Hercules is keeping himself busy working as a roving mercenary - a club for hire, if you will - fighting battles around the Aegean with his band of not-so-merry warriors. Included in this motley crew are his pal, the curiously unthievish Autolycus (Rufus Sewell), seer Amphiaraus (Ian McShane), Amazon archeress Atalanta (Norwegian actress Ingrid Bolsų Berdal), and wildman mute Tydeus (Norwegian actor Aksel Hennie). When Lord Cotys of Thrace (John Hurt) makes him an offer he can't refuse (twice his weight in gold) to take out a rebel army, Herc and his friends embark on a new adventure that turns out to be something very different from what they had expected.

The first half of the film moves along at a Grecian snail's pace as preparations for the big battle gear up. When it finally arrives, it is almost uneventful, which is what makes the subsequent plot twist not much of a surprise at all. Perhaps the fault, then, lies with the screenplay, which seems to have been written by a couple of post-pubescent boys. The film is certainly targeted to that demographic. Let's look at the evidence: Rippling biceps, an Amazon babe (though not in the same league as Lucy Lawless), lots of CGI and a couple of well-placed swear words. The only thing missing was the blood...

And the sex. This film was neutered! The closest HERCULES got to being steamy was when Herc and Lord Cotys' daughter made eyes at each other. This was a missed opportunity if there ever was one. Perhaps Ratner wanted to avoid getting an R rating (or a Category III rating in Hong Kong) but, by walking the straight and narrow, all he ended up with was a boring mess.

Yes, HERCULES is an awful film. By the great Zeus, let's hope it goes the way of the ancient Greeks as quickly as possible.
August 9, 2016
Great film, highly under rated, interesting story and unique from other Hercules films, worth the watch!