High Tension (Switchblade Romance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Tension (Switchblade Romance) Reviews

September 3, 2016
holy fuck what a disturbing movie.
July 27, 2016
one of my favorite movvies
July 23, 2016
One of the best thriller/scary movies Ive EVER seen!
½ July 16, 2016
I have to take away one star for the lack of credit to Dean Koontz's novel Intensity, from which the first half of the film copies exactly.

The other half star is taken away for the really crappy title "Switchblade Romance."

Other than these things, the film is worth seeing for its wonderful acting, directing, action, use of gore, and creativity.
½ July 5, 2016
I really loved this movie until I started reading Dean Koontz's Intensity (written 1996), when I realized that they played that novel out scene by scene until close to the very end. I'm disappointed by its un-originality, but I still like how they captured the gory scenes on film. I liked the twist at the end despite its incongruity.
½ June 25, 2016
Nasty and suspenseful, however I don't understand the rationality behind the urge of the contemporary horror film makers to add a major plot twist somewhere along the way. It only worked for Shyamalan once people, and it has been a steady route down garbageville for him since then - so stop it. The twist in this is non sensical, disregards much of what you've seen that far and falls flat on its face. Shame the last 15 minutes spoil a perfect thriller, although I am grateful for the tension - and the gore.
½ May 13, 2016
Let's call this 2/3 a great movie. It's difficult to talk about the film without revealing the twist that pulls the rug out from the whole movie, but let's just say the film has a completely unreliable narrator. I think this works for the first 2 acts. If you watch the film knowing the reveal, you can tell that what's happening onscreen is not only consistent with the reveal, it strongly hints at it occasionally. Aja just seems to totally lose control of the film at a certain point and things happen that really just don't make sense. By the time the twist is revealed, there's action going on onscreen that's quite literally nonsensical given what's really supposed to have happened. Even with it's narrative incoherence, it's a solidly constructed horror film though.
April 26, 2016
Would be a perfect 5 star rating if not for the weak sauce ending. I thoroughly enjoyed 90% of this film. Few horror films ooze genuine suspense as fluidly and stylishly as High Tension.
½ January 13, 2016
so much blood it made me thirsty.
January 9, 2016
Older. Wiser? idk, though years later, this is worth a second watch. I still have the same issues with have the movie couldnt have ever even happened (car chase for example) but its done well, fx are practical, acting in solid, bars are not held back. so 2 more stars for you HT.
ok, all that i knew about HT was the interesting trailer and a beatup looking girl that looked to be somekind of bloody chainsaw/girl runs through woods type of movie. now i'm not really one for the whole "series" of these movies but with everything thats comes outta hollywood these days- it looked to be interesting at least. no name actors, no known directors and a new type of look to the film started it off nicely. i did have some confusion of what the dialog was though since it was badly dubbed yet there was subtitles that came up for selected scenes...very odd. anyway, things were pretty gory and graphic and a few scenes where abit intense, yet done very well and no shortcuts where taken to deliver out the pain that the victims went through at any given death in the movie. so overall i had good things to say about it and i even said outload 30 minutes into it "that they didnt take any longform story buildup, just straight to the point of tre' pissed off redneck". then after a long intense storyline and a refreshing movie experience they pulled the "welcome to the movies of the 21st century plot twist"...your typical, now VERY overdone, very annoying= the killer is the lead character. which before 2 seconds can go by you put the whole movie in perspective and realize that theres no way that the movie could have taken place and no way that the story was even thought out well...so pretty much destroying the whole movie in a matter of seconds. now as soon as this happened and once the movie ended and the discussion between the people in the room started i was teamed up on to "not look at the faults and judge the movie for itself", to which i say- overall it was just a very bleak understanding of pieces the story together at the end since nothing fit that was set up from the start. i was very upset with this one since it started out so good then let me down very harshly...so sad.
½ December 30, 2015
Very sick and exciting movie. Its long time ago I last watch it, and I hope one day to watch it again. :)
December 8, 2015
The sad thing about this movie is that it was perfectly shot for a horror movie. The camera work, lighting and overall cinematography are flat out creepy and create a mood of raw nastiness that is about to be thrust upon you. Add in a top notch score of "New Born" by Muse and everything about this movie is scary, except the actual plot. The movie itself it pretty frightening, with a good concept and as I said had all the making of a great film. But an ending can make or break a movie these days, especially a horror movie. I am not gong to spoil anything for anyone, but when you do realize what is going on not only is it downright impossible, but it is so impossible that it becomes silly. After this movie it is not a question of figuring out anything, but trying to comprehend how they could actually put a story like that together, when it reality, it made absolutely zero sense.
½ November 16, 2015
A remarkable blend of thrilling suspense and exhilarating terror. High Tension (aka SBR) will literally rip apart your preconceived notions of love and force you to second guess yourself in such a way that you will get separation anxiety as you discover what's behind your mask.
November 1, 2015
Watch it in the original version with subtitles. Really tense movie, scary and depraved. Fantastic effects. Bizarre ending though.
October 22, 2015
This well-made French splatter movie (poorly dubbed to English) suffers from its own unrestrained brutality and preposterous plot twists.
October 21, 2015
Lives Up To The Entitled Namesake, Incredibly Tense Cinema..A Veru Uncomfortable Journey Into The Depths Of Depravity. The Blonde Haired Chick Was Pretty Useless To Begin With, But She Comes Into Own. Um Giving It One Star For Soundtrack & Another For Great Editing, Pacing & Direction..But Overall, This Made Me Sick To My Stomach. Don't Visit The French Countryside!!
½ August 23, 2015
Incredibly boring at times, with an increased sense of aggravation as Marie continues to make the most illogical decisions that keep the movie from lasting half an hour. Coupled with a plot twist that fails due to little to no foreshadowing whatsoever, this is not a worthwhile film.
½ August 16, 2015
At first, a fairly familiar Final Female format slasher flick, from France. Until it's not, and spirals so wondrously fucked up! (Uncut version in original audio with English subs.)

CÚcile carries this movie, she is our perspective: the (haute!) tension, the fear. Her convincing performance sets this apart as a genre-bending treat.
August 4, 2015
Gory, good story, good plot twist... I enjoyed
August 3, 2015
classic horror indie film a must see