High Tension (Switchblade Romance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Tension (Switchblade Romance) Reviews

November 27, 2017
Would have received at least 3.5 stars had it not been for the fact that the twist at the end completely ruined it for me. Alexandre Aja did a great job of creating a fast paced thriller that leaves you routing for and genuinely caring about the main characters. The scene at the petrol station adds to the slasher film cliché vibe that this film gives off, and the surveillance footage is admittedly a brilliant and eery means of revealing the twist. Which could have worked well, if the twist wasn't so predictable and unbelievable.
So we see near the end that Alex (Maïwenn Le Besco) is in possession of the knife that Marie (Cécile De France) gave her to defend herself whilst both were in the back of the moving truck. How was she both in the back of the truck and driving at the same time? Also does that make the entire car race scene part of her imagination too?
All in all, great thriller qualities but awful ending. The film should have followed classic slasher clichés and just left one surviving victim in the end.
½ November 21, 2017
The twist ending might be too bit of a stretch, that it's reminiscent of Shyamalan in later years. Once all loose ends are tied, you find yourself kind of in disbelief of the knot that was made, there are no moments in the film that you can say "So that's what that meant." But all those glorious minutes before that is every slasher fan's dream: blood dripping, gasp-inducing accompanied with realistic gore and innovative ways of killing.
½ November 9, 2017
Highly disturbing and Twisted. High tension is a must see for fans of slasher films. And the twist is pretty damn good.
½ October 25, 2017
PROS: This is what I want out of a horror movie: Action, scares, gore, surprises.

CONS: The film has some explaining to do once all the cards are on the table, but never gets around to it. And what's with the weird dubbing during parts of the film?
October 24, 2017
High Tension is grisly, gore and indeed tense. Alexandre Aja's directing is tight and deliberate, and his lead Cecile De France gives an incredible performance. This film is absolutely one of the best modern horror/slasher movies ever.
July 19, 2017
VERY well done movie with a massive twist at the end. Never saw it coming!

Just took a bit to get used to the change from French to English dialogue. The mouth doesn't always match up with what's being said.
½ May 20, 2017
An insane bloodbath. Alexandre Aja's debut, the man behind other movies like The Hills Have Eyes (2006) remake, P2 (2007), Mirrors (2008) and Piranha 3D (2010), isn't actually all that bad, it's pretty thrilling and tense, with a nice touch to the 70's low-budget horror exploitations. And, when you know that the effects were done by Gianetto de Rossi, who previously worked with Lucio Fulci on movies like Zombi (1979), or From Beyond (1981), you can expect this movie to be something. Although, the big twist is beyond my comprehension, the flick would've been even better if it had just been a nromal serial killer, survival film. But overall, it remains a very scary and disturbing movie. Recommended for horror fans !!
April 21, 2017
I Like It When People Brutally Die In Movies.
February 7, 2017
plot twist! nice -- it was "meh" up until the ending.
January 13, 2017
Hard-to-swallow slasher film with a silly ending.
½ December 19, 2016
71%
Saw this on 19/12/16
A liberal dose of gore and a shocking twist make this film memorable though it's paper thin plot sticks out like a sore thumb.
November 23, 2016
Si hay algo que tengo claro del cine francés, es que cuando toca ponerse con esto del terror, no se andan con tonterías. Ya nos lo demostró Georges Franju con su Los Ojos sin Rostro, una cinta que a pesar de tener 56 años sigue siendo tan perturbadora e inquietante como el primer día. No es de extrañar que Franju, y otros autores como H.G. Clouzot (Las Diabólicas, 1955) fueran una fuente de inspiración para los jóvenes directores franceses del siglo XXI. Fruto de los trabajos de estas mentes torturadas los críticos y teóricos dieron cabida a un movimiento que conoceríamos como el Nuevo Extremismo Francés. Aunque esta ola abarcaría más allá del cine de género, es en este en el que encontró su mejor representación. No fueron pocos los artistas y obras asociadas, aunque son cinco los considerados pilares básicos: Ils de D. Moreau y Xavier Palud; Frontière(s) de Xavier Gens; A l'interieur de Alexandre Bustillo y Julien Maury; Martyrs de Pascal Laugier; y la que hoy nos ocupa, Haute Tensión (Alta Tensión) de Alexandre Aja...

Continua la crítica en Terror.Team:

October 26, 2016
Although it is filled with a little bit of holes, as well as some really unrealistic scenes, it is still a great horror, keeps you engaged until the end.
September 3, 2016
holy fuck what a disturbing movie.
July 27, 2016
one of my favorite movvies
July 23, 2016
One of the best thriller/scary movies Ive EVER seen!
½ July 16, 2016
I have to take away one star for the lack of credit to Dean Koontz's novel Intensity, from which the first half of the film copies exactly.

The other half star is taken away for the really crappy title "Switchblade Romance."

Other than these things, the film is worth seeing for its wonderful acting, directing, action, use of gore, and creativity.
½ July 5, 2016
I really loved this movie until I started reading Dean Koontz's Intensity (written 1996), when I realized that they played that novel out scene by scene until close to the very end. I'm disappointed by its un-originality, but I still like how they captured the gory scenes on film. I liked the twist at the end despite its incongruity.
½ June 25, 2016
Nasty and suspenseful, however I don't understand the rationality behind the urge of the contemporary horror film makers to add a major plot twist somewhere along the way. It only worked for Shyamalan once people, and it has been a steady route down garbageville for him since then - so stop it. The twist in this is non sensical, disregards much of what you've seen that far and falls flat on its face. Shame the last 15 minutes spoil a perfect thriller, although I am grateful for the tension - and the gore.
½ May 13, 2016
Let's call this 2/3 a great movie. It's difficult to talk about the film without revealing the twist that pulls the rug out from the whole movie, but let's just say the film has a completely unreliable narrator. I think this works for the first 2 acts. If you watch the film knowing the reveal, you can tell that what's happening onscreen is not only consistent with the reveal, it strongly hints at it occasionally. Aja just seems to totally lose control of the film at a certain point and things happen that really just don't make sense. By the time the twist is revealed, there's action going on onscreen that's quite literally nonsensical given what's really supposed to have happened. Even with it's narrative incoherence, it's a solidly constructed horror film though.