How to Murder Your Wife Reviews

• May 28, 2020

Funny comedy with the inimitable Lemmon. And the wild dance of the beautiful Virna Lisi you will never forget!

• Feb 19, 2018

Couldn't wait for it to end. Too much slapstick, which isn't a problem if it's funny. But it wasn't. An Incredibly silly film that never made any sense at all. Watch it for the nostalgia

• Oct 01, 2017

Quite dated(it does seem kind of sexist by today's standards) but a few enjoyable scenes and great acting by Jack Lemmon.

• Sep 17, 2017

Funny movie. Great cast and Virna is beautiful. Movie uses a lot of The Odd Couple music

• Aug 19, 2016

'Unlike you poor souls, Mr Ford has had the wisdom never to marry. He is, therefore, a completely happy man.' Despite being more silly slapstick than dark comedy, this classic Lemmon flick is good fun.

• Aug 14, 2015

Clever movie with some likable characters.

Clever movie with some likable characters.

• Dec 31, 2014

Wow, just...wow. Some screenwriter went through a bad divorce. I was hoping this movie would be like "Divorce, Italian Style," but it is so meanly misogynistic it takes out any of the possible "comedy" moments, the few that there are. I love Jack Lemmon, but he's just not very funny here. It's not his fault at all, but the script's. I thought the show Mad Men was overdoing it in its early episodes depicting how chauvinistic our culture was then (around the same time period) towards women in general, but for this movie to be just accepted into the culture of its time, it must have been even worse, yikes.

• Oct 21, 2014

this is such a good movie. Jack Lemmon plays a cartoonist and play acting his cartoon he plans to put in the newspaper. He is invited to a bachelor party and in the cake comes out this beautiful woman, Verna Lisi, and he just happens to be in the seat of the bachelor, who by the way broke up with the real bride to be, and jack lemmon being so drunk, well he ends up marrying Verna Lisi who does not speak English, only Italian. his butler only works for single men, and the story goes on with laughter, and love. GREAT MOVIE!!!

• Oct 02, 2014

This film came on TV on the weekend, and I thought I'd check out whether it was worth seeing. Oh man, it felt weird typing this title into google. How times have changed, with political correctness and big brother gone rife. Scary. The film itself is a perfect example of how times have changed. Deeply sexist, but very, very '60s, in a mad-men way. Absolutely fascinating looks as the aspirational Manhattan lifestyle back then. The sexual politics are highly suspect today, but the heart of the story is timeless - a happy bachelor who finds the rug ripped from under his feet so suddenly that (despite his growing love for his wife, and the way she treats/loves him) it freaks him out. I really loved the intro sequences of the bachelor pad (divine set and stage work) and the way the lead basis his comic strip drawings on real world recreations of his stories - the precursor of CGI animation. The supporting cast are variable, but Lemmon and Terry are typically brilliant. The imaginative opening and evocative setting relaxes into a ho-hum romantic story and a "murder" courtroom subplot that is pretty weak, and feels a bit tacked on, despite inspiring the title....that title. Whew. Some interesting predictive phrase came up while I was googling "How to Murder..."

• Sep 28, 2014

Viewed as a period piece (it was made about half a century ago!) this is an amusing reminder of times gone by. The relationship between Lemon and Terry Thomas is wonderful, "I do NOT work for couples!" - the true gentlemen's gentlemen. Is it fair to view it through 21 century eyes, I don't think so - just enjoy it for what it is, a period farce.