Images - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Images Reviews

½ May 29, 2015
well crafted but u have to put ur work in and even when u do ur not sure what the truth is.
May 27, 2015
Ahead of its time, but still a bit too hysterical. I don't think it works, but it is an interesting mistake of a movie.
October 29, 2014
A must-see for fans of Altman's 3 WOMEN. Also, fans of Roeg and Bergman (or even Polanski) should dig for this gem too.
January 20, 2014
Classic Altman

Should be seen by more
½ December 23, 2013
"Images" y "3 Women" del director Robert Altman son cintas construidas a base de sueños (e inspiradas por sueños según cuenta Altman), con protagonistas femeninas perdiendo toda noción de la realidad y alterando su percepción e identidad. En "Images" tenemos a Susannah York como una esposa con extrañas alucinaciones sobre amantes del pasado y como este delirio la consume. En sí, es una cinta de terror psicológico (la cual resulta inesperada si analizamos la filmografía de Altman).
"Images" es una extraordinaria cinta que nos evoca otro tipo de horrores. Muy recomendable.
December 13, 2013
What a fantastic, underrated offering from Altman. "Images", like "3 Women", shows Altman's style leaning heavily toward Bergman and for this reason seems lost and forgotten in his filmography. Nevertheless, John Williams, aping "Persona"; Altman, creating a movie one cannot look away from with the help of Zsigmond. There's more to say but more movies to see, so . . .
November 25, 2013
Se há ou não uma maneira de desvendar o mistério denso de "Images", só Robert Altman e os colaboradores mais próximos saberão. A mim parece-me que "Images" fica bem longe de qualquer leitura óbvia e que pode ser debatido por 2 ou 3 pessoas, sem que nenhuma esteja mais errada ou mais certa acerca do que viu. Não há sequer muito terreno linear ou lógico onde a razão possa assentar os pés, nesta história de uma mulher assombrada pelo seu passado e pelas suas próprias perturbações mentais (sendo que uma assombração agrava a outra). E é na altura em que vence a mente por cansaço (e alguma hipnose) que "Images" fica mais a jeito de uma usufruição puramente sensorial que se possa render por completo aos seus símbolos e sequências visuais impressionantes. Algumas das principais marcas de Robert Altman estão aqui: a limitação do espaço e dos personagens, a liberdade formal do próprio filme. Mas é inevitável compará-lo com "3 Women" (que surge 5 anos mais tarde) e esse é bem mais interessante. No que diz respeito à banda-sonora, "Images" é todo um objecto à parte na justaposição da música de John Williams e as esculturas sonoras avant de Stomu Yamashta. Três estrelas para o filme, quatro e meia para a banda-sonora.
October 8, 2013
Phenomenally unsettling from start to finish.
jjnxn
½ August 21, 2013
Susannah York is stellar but the film is very odd.
August 18, 2013
I barely remember this. Seem to recall it being boring - wouldn't surprise me with Robert Altman (The King of boring movies) behind the wheel.
August 5, 2013
great music from williams/yamashta and beautifully and creepily shot by zsigmond. york is very compelling in the lead role and her performance really makes this film work. strongly recommended.
½ October 17, 2012
spellbinding psychological tale--Altman's lost dream sonata!!
April 7, 2012
I have a lot of trouble with films featuring unreliable narrators. While I understand that films about a character with a frayed sense of reality need to be as chaotic and fractured as their psyche, they tend to alienate me emotionally. Robert Altman's "Images" does those things, of course, but what makes this a step above similarly themed films like, "Persona," "Black Swan" or "The Double Life of Veronique," is that it's rather subtle. Films featuring a character confronting their double are usually fraught with ham-fisted symbolism and overly obvious motifs. I'm not saying "Images" is without these things but Altman has the finesse to blend them, more or less, seamlessly into the film. With the help of fluid cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond, a dynamic and precise Susannah York and a haunting score by John Williams, "Images" is able to transcend the normal pitfalls of this microcosm of a genre and remain a serious piece of artistic expression.
January 9, 2012
I listened to the very beginning twice, and still couldn't catch all of what she was saying. Then I'd turn the volume up, only to be nearly knocked out my seat by the "mood music." Ahhh, I'd missed that ever telling part of the description: "impressionistic drama written and directed by Robert Altman." Silly me, she said, not remembering even ordering this DVD...

The voice-over was very difficult to understand, though her voice is certainly mesmerizing. It turns out the story read on the voice over was a story Susannah York had written herself, and Altman worked it into the story. Is it a ghost story? A view into a troubled mind? A horrible trick being played on this poor woman, to make her think she's going insane?

It's dark and muddy, and at times confusing, then when you're not paying attention, it suddenly clicks and starts making sense. And then it doesn't. And then it does. Or does it?

Later, in watching the director's interview "Imagining Images", which I found as interesting to watch as the movie itself (but for a different reason), in the first 2 minutes Robert Altman explained what the movie was about, for which I was thankful. It was helpful because after having just watched the film...I was left not being sure. It was somewhat a relieve to find it wasn't only me, as it reportedly left its Cannes audiences mostly confused.

To explain any more of the plot, or to draw parallels between other like movies, would do a dis-service to anyone who hasn't seen the film. It's almost the kind of film that everyone who watches sees something different, and so you should. Altman further gave some very good insight into his own style of directing, explaining that he does everything he can to not give the actors any sense of what *he* envisions how they should play the character. He wants the actors to bring their own version of the character, not be a mimic of his vision.
November 21, 2011
Difficult to get into. You don't really get to know the main character, which made it difficult for me to connect with her. I missed context. What's her story? But when I was halfway through that didn't bother me anymore. The line between reality and her hallucinations become increasingly thin and confusing, you're just waiting for something to go terribly wrong. A large part of the movie is shot in a beautiful location. It adds to the mystery and surrealism.
½ November 19, 2011
I just watched this based on Saxia's review. I liked it, but I think she is dead on. It's so abstract and murky that it's a little hard to get into. It is surreal, like Carnival Of Souls and I think this is the point. The movie is part formalism, as opposed to idealism. It's about, as its title implies, images. And the idealism is really about the difficulty sometimes, as in the main character's case, of separating reality from fantasy, and not being able to determine where one ends and the other begins. I think the movie is supposed to be disorienting and that a invoking a schizophrenic experience for the view is the whole idea of the film.
½ November 15, 2011
A dense, rich psychological meditation from Robert Altman. It's not an easy film to digest, by any means, but York's central performance is incredibly strong, as is the editing, which goes a long way towards underlining York's emotional states throughout the story. The score by John Williams is also worth mentioning because it's one of his most avant-garde and strange (by some distance), and while that doesn't make for the most pleasant stand-alone listening experience, it fits the film perfectly.
½ November 10, 2011
robert altman shows how to do female madness the right way. split identities, loosing grip on reality, mixing violence and sexuality, halucinations or real events? crazyness endures. good times :)
Critique Threatt
½ November 3, 2011
Not your typical Robert Altman picture. It's pretty grim with no soul bearings since it's a psychological thriler but it does have an interesting character played by Susannah York. The picture doesn't even have the overlapping dialogue Altman is known for but it's not really needed since he is more interested in what's real and what isn't. "Images" is one of those love and hate pictures I admired and frustratingly dislike.