The Indian in the Cupboard Reviews

• Aug 30, 2020

Lame boring cringe movie about toys turning into little people. The kid was cringe in this movie but wonder what he's doing now.

• Jul 14, 2020

this is another one of my childhood favorites from way back in the day! oh what memories.... although the only thing I recall about it is the boy Omri played by Hal Scardino discovered that small figurines came to life in this magic cupboard when the doors closed and then opened again Directed by voice actor Frank Oz of ‘Star Wars' fame it mainly focused on an Indian named Little Bear who befriends him and later they bring a cowboy named Boone into the mix, of course considering humanity's track record they don't see eye-to-eye the music was also very well orchestrated giving such an emotional beat to it this movie is actually based on the 5 part book series by Lynn Reid Banks which turns out holds a lot of discussions about race, stereotypes, colonialism, and the misunderstood teachings of history when it comes to cowboys and Native Americans there's great themes I was surprised this film managed to get across about tolerance, not using people, bringing up racial issues, understanding cultural diversity, not abusing any form of magic we might acquire, and letting things stay where they should stay Omri at one point shares this amazing cupboard with his friend Patrick, naturally he has to understand why they both can't misuse this remarkable power 'Indian in the Cupboard' is full of magic, warmth, amazing lessons for children when it comes to school teachings, not to mention that history is made of real people and not toys that are just made for enjoyment There's a lot we can take from this children's fantasy in many ways; all we can do to prevent this kind of dark history from recurring is to be honest about what happened and the pain it caused, if we can, perhaps the children who read about it will see things differently Truly this is a movie for all children and families to gain a better, more unique understanding of the many tribes this world inhabits learning to see past petty differences making friendship shine as powerful as any form of magic This is a real winner!

• Jul 08, 2020

Missing a lot from the book but it is still a lot of fun.

Missing a lot from the book but it is still a lot of fun.

• May 16, 2020

I loved this movie when I was a kid. It still can entertain you somewhat. Its sad that time is not on it's side.

• Feb 06, 2020

It's a cool movie despite horrible casting choices with the kids.

It's a cool movie despite horrible casting choices with the kids.

• Jan 22, 2020

The music gets in the way of the film.

The music gets in the way of the film.

• Jul 04, 2019

Sometimes feels like your average feel-good kids film but while the credits rolled, it felt different. Frank Oz could direct a film about a apple and it would turn out thought-provoking

• Jun 28, 2019

Impressively subtle visual effects and some strong fantasy themes don't give a lot of boost to this awkward kid-friendly fish-out-of-water story.

• Jun 15, 2019

A dated, but a whimsical exploration of childhood imagination that overcomes a predictable plot structure through the legitimacy of its characters.

• May 31, 2019

An entertaining movie with a deep social message. Perhaps a little too preachy for some viewers