Jodorowsky's Dune Reviews

• May 07, 2019

Alejandro Jodorowsky was set to make a film of Frank Herbert's Dune in 1974 or 1975 (after his success with El Topo, 1970, and The Holy Mountain, 1973 â" two classic "midnight movies") but it all fell through. Frank Pavich's documentary tells us how amazing the film could have been. Plenty of the film is interview footage with Jodorowsky himself and this may sound dry but if you haven't seen the man talk before, you'll be blown away by how passionate and engaging he can be. He was 84 at the time and he went on to make two new films (Dance of Reality, 2014, and Endless Poetry, 2016) after this; he is currently 90 and I hope he makes more. Dune would have been his take on science fiction and, in the spirit of The Holy Mountain, he sought to find some "spiritual warriors" to collaborate with him on the production. The list of names is astounding: Dan O'Bannon (special effects), Moebius (story boards, production design), Chris Foss (art), H. R. Giger (art), Salvador Dali (actor), Mick Jagger (actor), David Carradine (actor), Pink Floyd (music), Magma (music), and Brontis Jodorowsky (actor). The film buff will know that a number of these collaborators (principally O'Bannon and Giger) went on to contribute to Alien (1979) and the storyboards (put together in an amazingly fat hardcover book distributed to studios in 1974) suggest that some of Dune's ideas were recycled for that film. Moreover, a case is made that Star Wars (1977) also benefited from Jodorowsky's take on science fiction. Pavich and his team do a great job of animating some of Moebius's drawings in this film. Whether Jodorowsky could have brought the project home (and within budget), we'll never know (and surely some of the ravings here must be pure fantasy) but it is incredible to hear what might have been.

• Apr 04, 2019

Jodorowsky's Dune offers an overly cheerful and glorified, but still fascinating look into the mind of Alejandro Jodorowsky and his creativity. It makes you think about this intriguing lost cinematic adaptation and what it could have meant for the SF genre. The highlight was its truly heartbreaking and important third act which showcased how not finishing your film is probably the worst thing that could happen to a person in this business.

• Feb 24, 2019

Obsession and ambition often have their limits, it seems. Nice daydream, though it seems if it would've been made, it'd've been a disaster. And who wouldn't like to get their hands on a copy of that book?

• Jul 07, 2018

A great, concise, and engaging look at something that influenced sci-fi for decades to come, but failed to exist itself. Don't need to read Dune to enjoy (though it helps). The characters are insane, out-of-touch, and very likable - a great look at what could've been, and a crash course in realistic expectations.

• Feb 17, 2018

What a tragic loss of what could have been the greatest science fiction film of all time.

• Jan 25, 2018

It is a great documentary and I wish they had made the movie. Jodorowsky did gather a fantastic team.

• Jan 02, 2018

The whole story of the film that will probably be one of the greater films never made, and surely the most influential film never made. The wacky genius Jodorowsky is taking us through the story. We have some peeks in his book with the storyboard, complete with sketches, as he starts telling us how he hunted down his perfect crew. Some choices were natural, some seem smart, other seem shocking or unrealistic but the total is for me incredible. What a team to work a film! Well, it never happended, and it never will. I'm guessing we are getting an animated film after his death or something, but we never will see his film. Not even today, when it would be way easier to make it. I guess he was let down when Lynch got it, but he talks very wise about the matter, actually. Informative and inspiring documentary with great music. The right people are there speaking, the presentation is cool and it left me annoyed, still very satisfied. 8.5 out of 10 things that never happened.

• Oct 10, 2017

If Jodorowsky got his chance to make Dune we would have a masterpiece on our hands but we do have a great documentary about him trying.

• Sep 03, 2017

After Reading Herbert's Dune I had to watch Jodorowsky's Dune and wow.. Most crazy thing to learn was that I 'saw' most of the artwork it inspired already, through the reading of the Metabarons & the Incal. What a great & inspiring man. i hope one day they'll make this movie, in some form.

• Jul 15, 2017

What a fun inspiration documentary. I really enjoyed it. Also, makes me wish this movie was made instead of the David Lynch version. And a buddy of mine edited it, so kudos. Good Concept, great execution.