Kiki's Delivery Service - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiki's Delivery Service Reviews

December 1, 2016
Kiki's Delivery Service is the most heart-warming film I've ever see. A beautiful masterpiece which going with a tenderness pace and touching emotional. Indicate the early life of a pre-teen girl and wonderful experiences she've been through
½ November 3, 2016
A charming coming of age tale with an endearing protagonist and a sassy cat. What more could you ask for?
November 3, 2016
"Kiki's Delivery Service" doesn't have much of a plot, but I absolutely adore it. It's thoroughly pleasant, the visuals are stunning, every character has a big heart, and Kiki is the epitome of kawaii. \(*^-^*)/
October 8, 2016
This movie is just pure joy. Miyazaki is an expert at writing compelling characters and every one of these just hits a bullseye. Not too much happens in the way of plot, but I just so much enjoy spending time with these people/cat that I really don't care. Definitely one of Miyazaki's fines, and one of the best 'slice of life' movies I've ever seen.
September 23, 2016
I saw this movie as a kid. It was a little dull but I really like how the characters act nicely with the animation
August 15, 2016
While the movie does have a lot of meaning (growing up, finding a place in the world, independence), there are only a few scenes in which any of it is conveyed, it feels as though most of the film is very slow paced and pointless.
There are beautiful visuals, and touching characters, but I ultimately feel as though I watched a person find their way in a new town, rather than watching a witch-in-training learn her craft, or do anything else interesting of note.
July 25, 2016
A sweet character driven take.
July 18, 2016
An average Miyazaki film that doesn't develop so well its many elements into a cohesive narrative as it should - like for example the character's sudden loss of power and her inability to make friends. The result is amusing, even if not that satisfying.
July 17, 2016
Majo no Takkyuubin, aka Kiki's Delivery service, is one of the first films by Hayao Miyazaki and studio Ghibli. When the 13 years old witch, Kiki, chose to strictly adhere to the rule that a witch must spend one year away from her family, she packs her things; rides her broom stick with her familiar, a black cat; and searches for a new city.

The city she chooses, is a beautiful, maritime one, with an Italian stylization. During her stay, she must utilize her arcane talents in order to provide for herself. While her initial reception is cold, Kiki is infatuated with the city and decides to stay.

We, the audience, quickly become infatuated with the city as well; the backgrounds look spectacular and the direction manages to depict accurately the vibrant Mediterranean setting. I know it is a matter of taste, but I love the design of the early Miyazaki films and still consider them the pinnacle of the medium.

And that is the point where the praise stops. For a film that's about a magic wielder it is not magical at all, like for example its predecessor, Tonari no Totoro (1988), was. The film's main theme are the troubles of a girl stepping on the threshold from childhood to adolescence. For instance no focus is given to how kiki studies or trains for her craft, but at two scenes we see her disappointment with her plain black robes.

As the film progresses it is apparent that this is a kid's movie; the scenario is simplistic and the world's rules unestablished. The film doesn't hide that fact, and it is maybe unfair to criticize it strictly, maybe I am just spoiled by the quality Ghibli and Pixar films, but it just is not as good as the competition.

While it fails to transcend its genre like Mimi wo Sumaseba (1995), or the Incredibles (2004), it is still a very cute family film, that will resonate especially well with young girls. Know your expectations and enjoy the spirited animation. 6.0/10.
July 5, 2016
?? ????? ??????? ?????? ?????? ????? :)))
Film C.
½ June 25, 2016
Kirsten Dunst doesn't suit for the 2nd English dub version. I hate English dubs.
½ June 16, 2016
A fun family film that brings you on a journey with Kiki and her cat as they try to find their place in the world. The story is great for families, while the pacing can be viewed as slow to some I found it quite good. The American voice talent is great and continues a long line of great voice casts by the studio.
June 6, 2016
This film highlights those special moments in one's life as they grow up and learn what it means to be alive. A great film for adults and children. This film takes us through a fun journey to a very climactic ending. A fun show for children but adults will take to heart the conversation between Ursula and Kiki as well as see into their own lives in many scenes. The portrayal of real life in Miyazaki's films is what makes them beautiful. Adults can relate to Osono and Bertha while reflecting on childhood crushes or the time they were a spoiled brat. This film also has subliminal messages showing the treatment of poor people in a rich consumerist society. I must praise Miyazaki for the real life in his films and to apply real life to fantasy worlds. This is a must watch film for all ages.
May 28, 2016
During my childhood, I enjoy to watch this movie along with Spirited Away and The Secret World Of Arrietty
April 21, 2016
A touching beautifully animated tale from the mind of Miyazaki.
March 31, 2016
My childhood has peaked by seeing this film, i'm in route one is cloudy raining sunny. Anytime of the day I put on on my VHS, I watch Kiki's delivery service over and over again. This is my first found I have her seen by Miyazaki. I was five when I first found this film. The lion King was the first, and this is my first anime film I have ever my seen. The best of the best always gets to me.

Grade
9/10
½ March 9, 2016
solid movie awesome animation but not one of the better Miyazaki movies
½ February 25, 2016
Kiki la petite sorcière est, à l'image du précédent film de Miyazaki Mon Voisin Totoro, un film qui n'a pas besoin d'une intrigue conventionnelle avec une héroïne et un bad guy comme Nausicaa et Laputa. Au contraire, Kiki la petite sorcière est un coming-of-age movie, tout ce qu'il y a de plus touchant, avec les habituelles intrusions de féerie dans un monde qui ressemble au notre inhérentes à l'oeuvre de Miyazaki, les personnages attachants comme Jiji le chat ou Tombo et les péripéties toujours drôle d'un personnage principal pour une fois réussi (là où Nausicaa et Sheeta étaient particulièrement agaçantes). Miyazaki rentre alors dans une période particulièrement faste de sa carrière et une certaine maîtrise de son art, que ce soit visuellement ou narrativement.
February 23, 2016
Another masterwork from Hayao Miyazaki. What more is there to say? Miyazaki is a filmmaker for all time. None of his films inhabit a single time or space, they transcend time, and exist as pure movie magic. Not too mention they're also visually wondrous from the word 'go'.
½ February 14, 2016
Kiki's Delivery Service is a really fun and enjoyable Miyazaki film. If you know Miyazaki at all, you know you're going to get a great experience from him pretty much every time.