Kill Bill: Volume 2 Reviews

• 3d ago

A good sequel. This is a completely different genre from the first and has a different feel/vibe. It's a bit slow but still has some action. Overall good movie. Vol. 1 is better.

• 6d ago

I absolutely adore Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2. I can watch these any time they come on television. Tarantino did a fantastic job here.

• Nov 18, 2020

With an amazing performance by Uma Thurman, an amazing cinematography and a brilliant direction and smartly and well-crafted script by Quentin Tarantino, who transports the audience into an epic revenge story with a combination of action, western, martial arts and drama. 5/5 10/10

• Nov 11, 2020

I actually didn't like Vol 2 as much as I liked Vol 1. It's redeemed by the insanity of its plot and the epic cinematic styling it's comprised of, but mostly its faults are overridden by the quirky sensei man with the outrageous facial hair, if that man was inserted in some of the worst movies reviewed on this site, he just might possibly make many of them worth watching.

• Oct 25, 2020

An epic storytelling at its best

An epic storytelling at its best

• Oct 05, 2020

Coming off the high of the first Vol. of Kill Bill, the second should have been no problem, since it's obviously the other half the film, right? Unfortunately, the genre blending and high octane energy of the first is mellowed out in a more sentimental yet, restrained second half that many boast as superior, when in reality it's just more-or-less a bit underwhelming. It may simply be the eye-candy of the first speaking, but the crux problem here is how more somber the tale becomes. What made the first a wild ride, was how far Tarantino blended genres together, weaving a narrative of films that have been lost in the rest of the world. Either the usage of actual anime to tell the backstory of O-Ren Ishii, to the mastery of knowing when to let the style go loose, only to recede back into the narrative, and among other things. While many state that Kill Bill Vol. 1 was the last great film from Tarantino, which is not true, I can understand if it was the last true time where genre blending was used so profoundly and masterfully. Because that, I agree, can be a debatable case. What made Kill Bill such a ride was the mixing of genres: Western, action, romance, etc. As a whole (both films) are unique idiosyncrasies, straight from the mind of Tarantino; meshing older films together to create something raw and yet controlled. The story itself is not terrible actually. The film bothers to give more depth to The Bride as her hunt continues to find and Kill Bill. Not only do we get to see how she became who she was, but we also see a stronger emphasis on Romance and connection between The Bride and Bill. I've stated that I believe this is the closest thing we'll get to a real romantic film from Tarantino. As both parts play seamlessly together to make this point. And what we get is the best romance out of any films he's made - except maybe Jackie Brown (1997). But the whole film feels rather pulpy, and too solemnly. Out of all Tarantino films he's made, this one is really discouraging for me to re-watch. I've seen the original film multiple times, each viewing easily improving upon the last. But this one is rather monotonous and tedious in pacing. Ironically having great scenes, the Superman speech alone is one of the best monologues ever written by Tarantino, and the tension in the final moments between the two lovers are effective, heartbreaking and yet satisfying. The film just drags out, unfortunately. No matter how good the action scenes are, it misses that wild spark of the original. Tarantino showed us how he mellowed down with his opus, Jackie Brown (1997) and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019). Kill Bill was already an effective action/thriller, but the first also had a strong dramaturgy in it's core, which is why even when the film went overboard, it could be brought back down; it's that masterful technical and storytelling aspect that's so rare to see. While I do conclude Tarantino as one of the greatest working directors of our time, Kill Bill vol. 2 is certainly not the best example. It had some great aspects, but it's not enough for a bloated 2 hour and 30 minute runtime that could have been done shorter and with a sense of fun, passion and color.

• Sep 20, 2020

A sublime spectactle that only does not stand out more because Tarantino has made more movies since then.

• Sep 01, 2020

It's not quite as good as its predecessor, but Tarantino's vision is certainly executed, and the plane lands smoothly.

• Aug 05, 2020

Think the 1st one is better, but this is a very good movie too. There's less action and more slow situations, which I like very much. Incredible movie!

• Jul 26, 2020

Childhood love. No matter how good part 1 was, it was the second part that impressed me the most. The events in the film is a delight, sadness, regret. The soundtrack sounds like part of a whole. Complementing what is happening on the screen. The development of the main character, the way he goes through difficulties. What it comes to in the end. One of my favorite movies. Quentin, thank you for your love of movies.