Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang Reviews

March 17, 2018
The story itself was rather confusing, but the comedic elements were delightful.  The exchanges between Lockhart (Downey Jr.) and Perry (Kilmer) were particularly funny.  I had no idea that Kilmer had such great comedic timing!
February 24, 2018
Maybe a 9? Funny and creative and thrilling, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang sets the precedent for many of the blockbusters in the coming decade.
½ February 23, 2018
I have never seen a movie so many times yet still wanted so much more from it, feeling like I have more to learn
February 14, 2018
I can't help but think that if I saw this movie 2 weeks ago I would have given 1 star more. What happened 2 weeks ago? I saw "The Nice Guys". It's pretty similar... but better and newer. It's not the movies fault clearly. This is a pretty entertaining work and some moments are really funny. The plot is a bit messy though. A cleaner line of events would have make me give another star.
½ December 19, 2017
Hilarious crime comedy notable for being the comebacks for both Robert Downey Jr. & Shane Black to cinema greatness. Downey is superb as Harry Lockhart, hilariously fumbling his way through the crime caper while proving what a great actor he is (reportedly, it was this performance that convinced Marvel to cast him as "Iron Man"). He is paired perfectly with Val Kilmer as Gay Perry, a openly homosexual detective forced to keep Harry from killing himself while trying to solve the murder. Behind the camera, Shane Black crafts a hilarious send up to crime movies, mocking everything from the voice over narrative (Downey excels at this as well) to the cliched twists. However, it is not an full on satire and there are moments of real drama (when Harry is forced to see someone die before his eyes, it leads to a pretty powerful moment). Overall, one of the funniest crime comedies in recent years, and since it's Shane Black, a darn fun Christmas movie.
½ November 13, 2017
Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer have some of the most witty banter you will ever see in homage to neo-noir flicks. An excellent film
November 8, 2017
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fun self-aware murder mystery from the mind of Shane Black. Downey Jr., Kilmer, and Monaghan are excellent.
October 22, 2017
The cast is excellent and Shane Black's writing and direction are outstanding.
September 9, 2017
Could be described as a noir screwball, gross-out, odd-couple, buddy movie comedy thriller. Original in a very derivative way, and laugh out loud funny in places, yet in the end it doesn't come to much.
½ August 17, 2017
Stylish, sexy, well cast and laugh-out-loud funny, 'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang' is a neo-noir/black comedy with a slightly convoluted plot that is, nevertheless, extremely entertaining and serves as a very impressive calling card for first time director, Shane Black.
August 6, 2017
Loved this film. Its a mish mash of genres...a little film noir and a heavy dose of black comedy. The plot is fast paced and complicated, but it doesn't really matter as by the end all is wrapped up neatly. Kilmer and Downey are great in this and there is fantastic chemistry between the two. Val Kilmer is particularly good...playing the gay private eye with deft subtlety. Kilmer is very hit and miss for me but he hits this dead on. I loved the narration aspect, breaking the 3rd wall and bringing the viewer in on the fun. The dialogue is quick and the gags equally as snappy so sometimes its blink and you'll miss it. However, it all works so well and just makes a thoroughly enjoyable hr and a half.
July 10, 2017
Great dialogue, great performances and really funny. A highly entertaining black comedy/neo-noir flick and an underrated gem.
June 19, 2017
I'm y I just keep coming back to this one I really like it hope you see it for it's complexity and love it for them
June 12, 2017
No habia soltado una carcajada tan fuerte en una película así. Simplemente genial. RDJ y Val K son lo máximo.
½ June 6, 2017
I gave this a re-watch last night, as well as listening to the commentary, it holds up very well and is likely near my top ten favorite films at this point.

I really loved this film, as Robert Downey Jr. continues to impress me even when he's playing basically himself in different smart ass roles.

There are a few bits that almost get a little too cute for their own good, but the overall experience is a lot of fun and well worth the watch.

Highly recommended.
May 30, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. Val Kilmer and RDJs humor is deadpan sarcasm. This movie is a black comedy that breaks the 4th wall and is that great mix of subtle comedy and observational humor.
May 26, 2017
A really clever and unconventional comedy, that I struggle to call a "buddy-cop" movie, despite it almost entirely being one (on paper). There's just such a lack of cliches here that I don't think it's fair to cram it in with the rest of that genre. The leads are all great, and each character is unique. Each situation is amusing, and I really appreciate that the story doesn't restrict itself to any pre-planned scene list. Everything is dynamic and unpredictable, and that makes it all the more worth a rewatch.
May 15, 2017
When it comes to comedy, Shane Black to me is the American Edgar Wright. The jokes are so carefully thought out, and they come out of the story, the story doesn't come out of them. Something most comedies need to do.
May 9, 2017
April 23, 2017
Surprisingly good - the best way to describe this underrated flick! I will never forget my experience watching it for the first time.