Leviathan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leviathan Reviews

May 1, 2016
Exceptionally genius filmmaking! A worthy addition to the increasingly popular list of Sans-dialogue documentary films!
August 25, 2015
After watching Leviathan I was left in disbelief about how astonishing it was. This is one of the most exceptional contemporary films I have seen. It's also unforgettable. I find myself thinking about it days after seeing it. Five stars, outstanding.
½ August 16, 2015
A truly one-off movie experience, which might either be the future of cinema or an anomaly. Best viewed as an art installation, I liked the bit where they caught and killed the fish.
May 25, 2015
Tried watching this, but was bored and it felt pretentious, So I gave up.
½ April 8, 2015
Not ethnographic as it claims. You don't learn anything from the experience.
March 29, 2015
A complete waste of money and time.
½ February 22, 2015
Jarring cinema overmatched by biblical tedium naked of the masterly craft that transcends with the likes of chore mongers such as Bela Tarr.
½ February 4, 2015
As I write this I just realized that I watched the WRONG Leviathan movie. Nonethless, this was still a crazy movie experience. A handheld camera takes you on some fishing boat for a night, that's pretty much the story. The two
words that come to mind are visceral and raw. Extremely disorienting, it feels like you've been captured by an alien spacecraft and you wake up, all drugged up and probed or whatever, and you're trying to make sense of what's happening to you.
Or better yet, it feels like you're being BORN. You hear weird sounds, everything is dark, you're under water, then all of a sudden your senses are overwhelmed by all these bright lights, you see objects and hear sounds you've never come across before, it's scary as shit, you think everything is dangerous. And if you're a fish, it is. That's basically where the movie takes its name, Leviathan as this giant force of Nature, of destruction, that eats you, slashes, grinds and chews
you up, then spits you out. And if that's God at the helm, wearing a wifebeater and a cigarette hanging from his mouth, he doesn't seem to give a damn.
November 21, 2014
This surprisingly works for a film without much dialogue, and that which is there is often muted beyond comprehension. What it does do is open up a world unseen by the vast majority of those on land as to how the process of fish on their plates begins, and given the strong imagery and the brutal way the fruit of the loom is treated and slaughtered, you may not want to eat seafood again after this.
October 1, 2014
An attempt to be a fly on the wall of a fishing vessel will make you never eat seafood again. It's purpose is unsure and scenes are slightly sickening.
½ July 15, 2014
To a fault, 'Leviathan' (2013) is a visual tour de force with EXTREMELY prolonged scenes of the deep-sea, severed fish, and seagulls. With that stated, I cannot recommend this film for how repetitive it is. Go watch the trailer because you will not be missing one single intriguing aspect that isn't shown in those three minutes.
June 11, 2014
Sometimes the visuals are really amazing, sometimes it is incredibly boring.
June 10, 2014
Abstract and often gruesome documentary about the commercial fishing industry.
½ May 18, 2014
I went into this movie with the intention of not watching the whole thing. I was surprised it held my attention for the most part to the end. This movie can only be categorized as experimental film making. Its just repetitive shots of the mundane goings on on a fishing ship. While that may sound boring there is something hypnotic about it, maybe it was the way it was shot or the color or the sound but it keeps you watching. The most intresting scene that seems to break from the rest of the film was when we watched a crew member watching a fishing reality show. To me is showed how you can create two completely different narratives on the exact same subject. And also how manufactured reality shows are.
May 3, 2014
Or the One PETA probably hates...

I didn't really get it. Don't get me wrong, I respected what the directors were doing, and I understood why, but it didn't work for me. Even though much of the what was happening visually was captivating and I could respect how experimental it was, I didn't enjoy any of my time in this world. There definitely are some moments that will stick with me for a long time, but I don't know that this is the mark of a good film. I'll never forget Winter's Tale either.
½ March 10, 2014
I'm giving this one a poor rating because of its lack of narrative, prolonged shots where nothing happens and its choppy tight close-ups. I applaud the filmmakers taking a chance and using experimental techniques in cinematography on a budget but that does not compensate for the detracting factors stated above. Essentially it's an hour and a half you won't get back.
February 5, 2014
Film as sensory experience, stick with it.
½ January 21, 2014
We walked out after 40 minutes, along with 4 other people in the small screening. We went to see this based on the rave reviews and the number of awards it had already won. I knew a bit of what to expect from the trailer and I knew there was no commentary and hardly any dialogue but seriously - why all the fuss about this movie, and why awards for cinematography? It was TERRIBLE. Many of the shots just lingered for too long, far too long. The message these shots conveyed was put across in the first 10 seconds, so why linger on them for minutes on end? So much of it was filmed in near darkness you could not see what was going on, and the camerawork was so shaky I started to feel seasick. Yes I know they were strapped to the fishermen but still - seasickness! Some of the over-long shots were just plain boring - guy in the shower, for instance.

The long shot of what I assume was the skipper's eye was at first interesting as you saw how weather-beaten these guys are, but after the 3rd minute of it, I wanted to shout "come ON next shot please!"

I'm not a fan of the over-fishing of our oceans and the waste that gets thrown back in, and I could stomach the very visceral shots of the fishes being gutted in a squelchy close-up pageant of flashing knives and gore, but by the time I got to the part where beautiful rays were having their "wings" cut off while still alive, and the long underwater shot of starfish and coral floating carnage as a result of drag-netting, we quit and went for some food - although not at a seafood restaurant, I hasten to add ;)

At one point in the movie I got the giggles because I thought that if my boyfriend and I took our GoPro out down Great Yarmouth at night and paid a fisherman a tenner to give us a ride, we could have made the same movie.

In some ways I wish more people could see this movie because it may put them off fish for life, and in turn help preserve our dwindling fish stocks. If you want to see a decent film about fishing, check out "The end of the line".