Love Serenade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Serenade Reviews

½ September 3, 2014
I don't know what I expected, but this was a fun sort of movie
July 14, 2014
Deliciously quirky Australian black comedy about 2 sisters in a small country town who are vying for the affections of their new next door neighbour. Miranda Otto is perfect as the socially awkward Dimity in this laugh out loud film. Highly Recommended!
½ February 27, 2014
This movie is hystericalll.
August 15, 2013
nicely hard to anticipate, for a "romance"
February 22, 2013
I have watched this under-rated comedy at least 120 times, and never tire of it. Each time I see it, there's so much more to appreciate, and I laugh a little louder as every sad, lonely year passes. I see myself in Vicki-Ann and sometimes Dimity, and sometimes the philosophical Albert Lee. Perhaps it's due to the fact that every year brings more awareness regarding the futility of the romantic love myth. This film is brilliant on so many levels. Unfortunately, every woman has encountered a womanizing, cold-fish like Ken Sherry. First-time filmmaker Shirley Barrett perfectly captured his vacuous arrogance right down to his worn-out disco-shoes. So very many of us can connect on a visceral level with her quirky characters, and classic archetypes set in the bleak sepia-toned swamp ironically named, "Sunray" We all understand the need for love, which - when left unmet - sometimes turn to pathological acts of unredeemable desperation.
½ December 17, 2012
It's kinda weird in some parts but anytime the two sisters are together its funny as hell. The younger one is Miranda Otto from Lord of the rings. She is really good in this one.
June 4, 2012
One of my absolute all time favourite Australian films. Absolutely perfect and so funny. I love Miranda Otto as Dimity here. So awkward and really relatable and believable. (to me, anyhow. Probably best I don't think too hard about how I can relate to that character!).
All the characters here are just spot on - sleazy Ken Sherry the DJ and Vicki Anne, Dimity's neurotic sister. Really funny movie. Love it.
December 22, 2010
Quirky, a bit heavy on the cringe early on, but thoughtful at times too. Made in Robinvale!
½ February 13, 2010
A quirky, likable Australian film that lances the mythology of romantic love.
January 8, 2010
Very odd.
Miranda Otto (plays Dimity) was in the Lord of the Rings!!
½ October 14, 2009
I didn't quite get into this movie, especially the ending.
½ May 6, 2009
Que fea portada le pusieron.
January 14, 2009
hilarious, a bit boring but oh goll it is hilarious! love it...
January 13, 2009
One of the weirdest movies ever, but awfully good. Plus Miranda Otto! The cover is totally based on Otto's popularity from LotR, she doesn't look anything like this at any point in the movie.
½ November 23, 2008
Starts off quirky but fine -- until the quirks build in intensity and ultimately capsize it. It's a shame, because all of the leads make the film charming and compelling without the bizarre fish imagery.
October 20, 2008
I'm on the fence with this one. These Australian movies are always a bit odd. It was quirky and funny but the thing that really bothered me was the guy the two sisters were fighting over was hideously ugly! It would have been a bit more believable if he'd been a little bit more attractive. I didn't get that whole thing about the symbolism between the carpe and his sexual behavior. ??? I"m not sure I would necessarily recommend this movie to anyone but I'm not sorry I watched it.
½ October 18, 2008
OOH-he is such a jerk! The film gave me a renewed appreactiation of Barry White.
½ September 4, 2008
I haven't seen it for a while, but I remeber I really liked it for it's quirky Austrayan humour.
½ August 3, 2008
Not your usual movie, but Miranda Otto makes the film with her perfect portrayal of the "odd" 20 year old
May 21, 2008
The weirdest movie i've ever seen. really.