Made in Dagenham - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Made in Dagenham Reviews

½ June 7, 2017
I have sympathy for people in the working class. I have worked in that world for parts of my life. And bravo for these women who achieved their wage parity victory. However, despite competent acting, this flick is not high on entertainment value. Related to this, to a non-UK-working class person, the accents are difficult to understand. Also, a bit too much Marxist twaddle in the dialogue.
½ June 1, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: I'm very proud of the fact we Brits know how to make a good "Power to the People" film, and nowhere is that more evident than where 'Made in Dagenham' is concerned. Yes the way it sticks its fingers up to the establishment is done with such a British lightness of touch and a smirk at itself that you just can't help feeling empowered and downright in love with the whole experience here. Of course it's highly probable that that's just something I feel because of how awesome Sally Hawkins is, but I have confidence it's also thanks to the surprisingly funny and smart script from William Ivory, as well as basic and cheeky editing and direction behind the scenes.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The love may only last so long
VERDICT: A very British, very charming and very amusing film that will bring us a peak at the teenage lefty hiding in us all.
½ May 5, 2017
An us-against-them tale of heroism that manages not to trip over it's own feet as the underpaid women at a Ford Automotive plant in England strike for better wages. By the numbers, the film fails to mention that while the ladies win (spoiler alert! ... oh, they made a movie out of it! Duh) the battle, they lose the war as Ford eventually takes its ball elsewhere to play.
½ July 23, 2016
So in love with Sally Hawkins!
February 23, 2016
I loved this movie,. Beautiful women, great acting, A story with something to say.
January 17, 2016
Very British story that America now needs to see. I enjoyed it and made my girlfriend watch it
November 5, 2015
Good, but it feels like it was put together on an assembly line.
½ July 1, 2015
Great female cast lead by a very impressive Hawkins, but also standouts from Richardson and James. Empowering story. Great script. A film not to be missed. Weirdly ignored at award times this year?
June 14, 2015
Hieno, tositapahtumiin perustuva elokuva vuodelta 1968, jolloin Fordilla työskentelvät naiset ryhtyivät lakkoon tasa-arvoisen palkkauksen vuoksi.
May 31, 2015
Entertaining film about women workers at Ford's fighting for equal pay with opposition from most sides.
January 17, 2015
A lovely film that's brings that era and their story to life. Well acted and told and a little a bit inspiring.
½ January 10, 2015
Made in Dagenham does an excellent job at showing the story of how the Dagenham Ford women rose to fight for equal pay between men and women. Sally Hawkins does an excellent job as the lead. This film covers how Hawkins' character is involved so much in the movement that it takes a tole on her family life. It is nice to see this but all the while the film remains focused on the cause. It has depth and meaning. The only small issue is it builds up Hawkins character so much and accelerates her forward that it is strange to see that the ending scenes do not focus on her character but on the government officials. A great motion picture that does nearly everything right.
½ November 11, 2014
While this is again enjoyable and undemanding fluff, it suffers more especially in comparison, as it is more predictable, generic and with setups most can see coming a mile away. Hawkins' performance is very infectious and watchable though.
November 8, 2014
Lisa: "Because I called Mr. Clarke a complete cock."

The story to Made in Dagenham takes place in 1968 Ford Dagenham strike, in which 850 female employees left to protest sexual discrimination.

This movie to me was Uplifting, cheeky and inspiring for women. The movie has a huge cast and there all do a flawless job in their roles. Some of the character's in the movie were funny and likable, even Sally Hawkins character in this movie was a true fighter who would do anything to help women to get there rights and respect that they needed. The writing was great, the directing by Nigel Cole was brilliant and well done.

But the movie does have some character's in this movie that are Forgettable or Wasn't all that interesting. But those character's are in the background for the most of the movie, but when they have their screen time it was painful.
November 3, 2014
Must watch movie as it shows the starting of forward thinking about woman's rights.
Rating - 4/5
October 26, 2014
Sally Hawkins is very impressive (as always) and makes you really care about the female workers in the Ford factory. Based on the true story, it's engaging and informative at the same time.
September 26, 2014
Sally Hawkins is great here. The cast is brilliant: Miranda Richardson, Bob Hoskins, Rosamund Pike... Also, the script makes you feel comfortable with the story about women rights. Respect.
August 4, 2014
A turning point in the fight for women's equality in the workplace.
½ July 15, 2014
Who would think that a movie about gender equality could be as boring and trite as this film? For me, the first sign was that it was produced by BBC Films, who also produced the dreadful "Starter for 10". While the film does a decent job in its condemnation of 60's sexism, I can't shake the feeling that the film is stuck in the past, never mind the fact that the film's overall style isn't faithful to the 60's at all, save for some of the music. Also, a lot of the focus seems to be on the women on strike, but what bothers me is that the lead character, along with much of the cast, is completely fictional. I know it's difficult to actually represent the striking women, but when you devote a supposedly historical film to a character that didn't even exist in the film's setting, that's when it becomes nonsensical. Britain is full of drama films with historical settings, and for me, there's a good chance that most of them suck. Even though there's some strong drama, and a genuine attempt to break from the familiar archetypes of the 60's, there's no escaping the fact that it just felt bland.
½ April 1, 2014
A charming biopic that sometimes falls a little too sentimental and silly to make it a truly memorable film.

Sally Hawkins is great as Rita O'Grady, playing the everyday woman who is thrown almost into the world of politics. She gives both an innocent, but then dominating performance. I found it quite enjoyable whenever she was on the screen.

Unfortunately the film did fall into melodrama a few times, which was a shame, with some events that felt a little forced, and maybe could have been dealt with better.

The story itself is interesting, and the film may be a reasonably fluffy telling of the story, but it is both easy to watch, but also quite entertaining.

It probably won't be remembered in years to come, but it's a nice watch on a rainy day.