Maverick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maverick Reviews

November 29, 2016
Maverick is a great western that was a bit better than I thought was going to be. Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster are pretty good in this and it seems like they are having fun in this. The plot is decent, and there are some funny moments in it. The writing by William Goldman is well written, and the characters are enjoyable. There are some good twists that actually got me, and the poker scenes can get pretty tense. The chemistry between Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster is really good and I wanted to see where they're going together or what they're going to talk about next. Maverick is not the best western, but it's probably one of the funniest I've seen, which I'm not a fan of that kind of genre.
October 27, 2016
Maverick is a comedy-western about a cowardly gambler played by Mel Gibson who is on a quest to prove he is the best poker player around. It definitely has a few laugh-out-loud moments which I appreciated, and a couple of nice twists that worked well. However, there were so many twists and turns in the allegiance of all the characters that it got tiresome. The 34th time someone turns on their allies and shows where there true allegiance lies it is no longer surprising or even interesting. Another problem with Maverick is the fact that the titular hero is too perfect. They set him up as a coward, but he's an amazing gunfighter, a superb gambler, friends with everyone, and irresistible to the ladies. The character loses something for me when I'm never worried about his well-being because he can do pretty much anything. The main driving plot of the film makes sense and I always felt like I knew where it was headed, but the way things are scripted out is often strange and illogical. There wasn't a smooth narrative flow from one scene to the next, it played kind of like a bunch of little vignettes that didn't string together in a logical fashion. Yet, despite all the problems with the structure and characters, I still had a good time watching Maverick. There was just enough humor, and just enough charm in the acting that I was always able to get back into the story. It's a flawed film, so I can't really recommend it, but it also isn't one you need to actively avoid.
September 25, 2016
Gibson is great in this comedy western, he's both cool, witty & gullible, with brilliant supporting cast of Foster & Garner
½ June 1, 2016
Scripted by William Goldman and directed by Richard Donner, this big screen version of the television show is entertaining enough. The cast does a fine job and there are plenty of twists and turns.
December 24, 2015
A entertaining movie. Good acting and a good plot. If you like poker, then you will like this movie.
November 26, 2015
Loved the whole movie.
October 28, 2015
Undeniably witty and charming. I loved it!
September 11, 2015
This movie is hilarious
½ September 1, 2015
Was that fast? I thought that was fast.

Bret Maverick believes he may be the best poker player in the west and wants to participate in a card tournament that is a winner take all for half a million dollars. He encounters a female, Annabelle, with the same ambitions. They work together with a bounty hunter lawman in unique ways to achieve their goals.

"Look at that card!"

Richard Donner, director of The Omen, Superman 1 & 2, Lethal Weapon 1-4, Assassins, Conspiracy Theory, Radio Flyer, and The Goonies, delivers Maverick. The storyline for this picture is mainly for comedic content with some clever lines and sequences. The acting is okay and the cast includes Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner, Alfred Molina, Graham Greene, James Coburn, Clint Black, and Denver Pyle.

"Your security isn't worth a damn. Everyone has a gun."

I must have watched this a hundred times growing up. This is one of those movies that was constantly on HBO. I came across this on Netflix and decided to watch it again for the first time in a long time. This is still good but not as good and clever as I had remembered. This is worth viewing but a bit cheesy in scenes.

"Don't let Maverick reach the game."

Grade: B/B-
August 16, 2015
Maverick is an all star western comedy with a fun nature and a fun main character. The acting is superb, as Gibson's glory days really are shown here. One of the best TV to film adaptations.
Maverick is a tale of cons and poker. Smooth talker and poker champ Bret Maverick and thief Annabelle Branford are determined to get to a poker championship and get the large sum of money needed for it in a series of cons, leading into a big reveal in the end on who should have trusted who.
Maverick is good fun and one of the notable comedy westerns of film. It's not perfect and Maverick can be pretty forgettable, albeit not very bland, just forgettable. Gibson especially stands out as a convincing character and a likable one, as does Foster but hers can get a little stale after a while. Maverick is a good watch but isn't one of the most remembered films of its kind.
August 15, 2015
Gibson has never looked crazier in a movie (Lethal Weapon included). His constant mugging for the camera here isn't funny, it's painful. Donner does his best with the material, but it never feels as fun as it wants to be.
August 3, 2015
I just love this movie
½ June 23, 2015
This movie cracks me up. Gibson and Foster make a great team here. Great western comedy!
½ April 19, 2015
The cast looked like they were having fun,a bit smug but fun regardless.
February 9, 2015
Brilliant film. Perfect really. The comedic timing from Mel, Jodie and James are perfect. It's super funny and charming. Mel deserved an award for this. Loved it.
February 5, 2015
87%
Watched this on 4/2/15
Maverick benefits from the soothing performances from it's stars especially from Mel Gibson and his awesome chemistry with Jodie Foster is also an asset. This film shows the red Indians in a funny side that I haven't seen before.
½ January 29, 2015
Mel Gibson is fair and Jodie Foster is better but overall Maverick is forgettable for the most part. Full review later.
½ January 25, 2015
Entertaining though forgettable western comedy. Like horror and comedy, I'm of the opinion that westerns and comedies generally don't mix very well, for whatever reason. For both horror/comedy and western/comedy, the list of films that actually work is pretty short. "Maverick" does work, but only as a film that's only memorable for it's star studded cast. Mel Gibson plays the charming gambler/gunslinger character made famous by James Garner, who plays the third wheel in the film, along with Jodie Foster as something of a con woman (who's good, though I think miscast). All three are on their way to a riverboat gambling contest, all the while with the villainous Alfred Molina hot on their heels. But like I said, it's not often you get a western with a blockbuster level of budget and a sprawling cast (which here includes many western veterans and character actors Graham Greene, James Coburn, Dub Taylor, Geoffrey Lewis, Paul L. Smith, Dan Hedaya, Dennis Fimple, Denver Pyle, Clint Black, Max Perlich, Art laFleur, Doug McClure, Henry Darrow, Michael Paul Chan, , Margot Kidder, Reba McEntire, and my all time favorite character actor, William Smith as a Riverboat Gambler. There's also director Richard Donner alumni from "Lethal Weapon" alumni Danny Glover making a funny cameo and Corey Feldman in a cameo, who was Mouth in Donner's classic film "The Goonies." The film was written by William Goldman, based upon the Roy Huggins TV series. But like I said earlier, the film is entertaining, but it's nothing you'll particularly remember or feel compelled to revisit.